Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Awhile back I played a game of Cash and Guns and when it came to point the gun at one of your opponents it seem that most of the time (not all) the guns were pointed at me.

This is not the only game where I seem to be the target, it is typically in any game where there is some sort of conflict. This really doesn't bother me all that much, but has recently made me just inquire why this may be the case.

I usually have an over reactive response when someone plays in a way to disrupt my progress. This may include some swearing and occasionally some name calling, none of which is serious on my part and if people play with me they know that I am not being serious. Also, I act in a way that is well over the top so it would be hard to take me serious even with people who have never played with me before.

So it seems that people mainly do this to get me wound up thus giving themselves a laugh. Which is really what I am doing in the first place. I like to have fun playing games even with the heaviest thinker euros, which are the games that I like the best.

Luckily nobody has ever taken me seriously (I think) otherwise I would probably end up having someone kick my ass for me.

Do you have gamers like me in your group, are you that person? How is it accepted by others in your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am that person. With one group of guys I play games with, the motto seems to be "Screw Talbot!" ... usually yelled by one individual in particular. Jackasses.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
I think I am that person. With one group of guys I play games with, the motto seems to be "Screw Talbot!" ... usually yelled by one individual in particular. Jackasses.

Chris

I know exactly how you feel. The bastards in my group always say, "Well atleast I beat Jeff."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think i am that guy in my group... but i think the situation is worst than that. it is not just in my gaming circle... but i think overall, i am an ass in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, I get ganged up on a lot, but it is due to the group dynamic. My weekly gaming group consists of four people: myself, a married couple, and then a female friend of ours.

So, invariably, when alliances form, they happen like this, and usually in this order:

1. Mallory and Robyn will form up, as they are women.
2. Don will join with me, until he would have to cross Robyn (the wife).
3. Which leads to him joining with them.
4. Which leaves me as the odd man out.

I only get angry at certain times, and I don't really take it that badly. I just like to be blustery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People all attack me in games generally but then I choose relationships based on the ability for us to make fun of eachother so gleefully screwing me over is part of that. So no biggie.

Even with my mother-in-law I have that kind of relationship. We'll just slag eachother off all the time. I have trouble befriending people who won't go into that kind of thing with me. Relatively early on in getting to know someone I'll launch an inoffensive(ish) insult at the person and see how they respond. If they don't respond too well then they wouldn't like me anyway so I've saved them time and effort.

If I game with strangers then I'm not normally the target until they get to know me better. I tend to react in a way that isn't too moody or aggressive or get upset so I'm a safe target. That's what I'm there for....Making gaming fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. The bastards in my group always say, "Well atleast I beat Jeff."

Hold on, everyone says that in my group too...

An anti-Jeff conspiracy may have been revealed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever move is made, it is always going to help Brian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my personal group of friends, I am the explainer, the game pusher, and the main target whenever possible. I revel in it since in my group, it's a sign of the respect and love since we all do our best to destroy each other and laugh as much as possible (even in otherwise painfully dry games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you tend to win a greater percentage of games than others in your group?

Our game group tends to gang up on whoever seems to be having the best (winning) night. Sometimes that mentality might carry over into subsequent game nights too, if someone is on a roll (and especially if they tend to gloat).

The individual personalities of my gaming group are pretty mellow though. You seem to invite and enjoy conflict -- your avatar sums that up well. Maybe that's all it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation of getting ganged up on only happens to me when I play Diplomacy. And NO, it is NOT because I have a great winning record, or because I always randomly draw Austria/Hungary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
d bro wrote:

Nope I lose 95% of the time, so my guess is that nobody wants to take my crown as the biggest loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
d bro wrote:

Nope I lose 95% of the time, so my guess is that nobody wants to take my crown as the biggest loser.

Ditto. I lose much more often than I win. I guess I just have the kind of personality that invites screwage in games.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Awhile back I played a game of Cash and Guns and when it came to point the gun at one of your opponents it seem that most of the time (not all) the guns were pointed at me.

I feel your pain.

I've never actually survived a game of Ca$h 'n Gun$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife says, "Justin always win get him".

They typically do...

And I lose.

Oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach a lot of new games, so invariably, when all else is equal I get targeted. I suppose it's a natural assumption of the players that because I am teaching the game, I know it best and have an advantage.

That really isn't true, because often, it's my first time playing too, and I'm busy reviewing rules and explaining things, which leaves limited time to focus on tactics and strategy. Oh well, comes with the territory and I try to rise to the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here!

Unless there's a Jeff in the group of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an offical rule at my house.

"When in doubt, attack Jerry."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain.

//Vote Chapel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
jjloc wrote:

Hold on, everyone says that in my group too...

An anti-Jeff conspiracy may have been revealed!!

I hate to feed the conspiracy, but....

In my case it's because I buy all the games, I learn them, and I teach them. I'm perceived as the one to beat, and I don't win that often, because everyone enjoys beating Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The two times I've played I won both games..because for some reason nobody ever shot at me. A few rounds I'd get all the cash because everyone else died.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once, when I was about 17 years old, my two younger sisters and two female friends of one of them ganged up on me in Risk. I got so mad at the unfairness of it (I was close to winning) that I tipped the board over.

Almost 30 years later I still regularly hear about that incident, and they still gang up on me. I don't get mad - I just beat them anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my usual gaming group there are two of us (if no outside force can be brought in) that usually win. So at times when we can be screwed we usually are. I find being that player that gets screwed is very freeing. It means when I play Ticket to Ride my first play can be one card to take Nashville to Atlanta just to stop people, and not feel bad at all. I think part of becoming the heel in the gaming group is enjoying the part. It only gets to me when I play a game like Bohnanza and the other players make it a game of solitare for me, then its a bit painful.

So I say to other targets...learn to love it, start attacking for fun, block paths just to block them, if you are going to be picked on, become a loose cannon. The other players no longer feel any remorse for attacking you, and you are free to try things in games, you never would have because they seem too odd, or risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie DeGrace
msg tools
is our target. Rule #1 is "Attack him." ninja

Not that it seems to help my win percentage out that often... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Whenever we play Werewolf with the family, I'm usually either (a) eaten by the werewolves the first night, or (b) lynched later that morning by the people.

Apparently they don't like it when the lawyer tries to use logic and analytical reasoning to find the werewolves. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.