Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I have a doubt. One of the ending conditions is: "one player is unable to refresh his tiles to 6 ... current turn continues till the end ...".

Does it mean that only the active player must continue the turn or ALL the players till the last player?

Thanks.

Antonio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio,

the game ends immediately after the player that has triggered an ending condition (in your case that would be the "unable to refresh your tiles to 6" condition) has finished his/her turn.

The other players do NOT get to take another turn, even if that means they had 1 turn less than the game ending player.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick reply

One more question: if the tiles ends during the first action, can I do also a second action?

I suppose the answer is yes, but I'de like to be sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
af7hqs wrote:
Thank you for your quick reply

One more question: if the tiles ends during the first action, can I do also a second action?

I suppose the answer is yes, but I'de like to be sure...

Big controversy over this one, but AFAIK, the answer was "NO". Part of it was allowing the player who's drawing tiles as his first action to count how many are left so he doesn't screw himself into ending the game without being able to do his 2nd action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Antonio is right on this one. The game never ends "in the middle" of a turn. Even if the first action triggers the game ending condition, the active player can still perform his/her second action before the game actually ends.

This question has been explicitly addressed in a more or less official "Euphrat & Tigris" FAQ document (maintained by Chris Lawson) and the answers have been confirmed by Reiner Knizia himself:

FAQ wrote:
Q. Does the game end immediately if a player is unable to refresh his hand back up to six tiles? For example, a player uses his first action to draw up to six tiles and there are not enough tiles available.
A. No. The game will not finish during the middle of an action or turn. Once the player has finished his complete turn and any appropriate VPs have been distributed, the game will then end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Günter, you're answer is very useful to me, danke shon. I've bought T&E only some days ago and I'm trying to translate it again in italian (not satisfied with previous translations), so I'll try to use the FAQ also for that purpose...

I've found the following url about Chris Lawson FAQ:

http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/e-t/faq.htm

I hope it's the last one version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Notyou
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Chris Lawson says that "Answers have been confirmed by Reiner Knizia", yet the answer given on his site contradicts the very specific wording in the rule book. I don't have much confidence in Chris Lawson.

On Mayfair games website click on "Game Support"(to the left of "shopping cart") at the top of site and then "FAQ Directory"then "Tigris & Euphrates" and finally "Tigris & Euphrates FAQ.

The answer is very thorough and clear:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: The rules say that if I try to draw tiles from the bag, the game ends "instantly." Does that mean that I would no receive any points for monuments that I should earn at the end of my turn?
A: The answer to your question depends on why the tiles are being drawn. Basically, there are two times that you might be drawing tiles during the game:

- if you discard tiles as one of your actions, you draw back up to six tiles again. If you can not draw enough tiles to fill your hand, then the game ends immediately. You would not be able to take a second action that turn, and monuments would not pay out for you.

- if you use any tiles during your turn, or if another player uses tiles in response to a conflict that you created, then you will need to draw tiles (and your opponents will also) at the end of your turn. This would happen AFTER the monuments paid out. If you can't draw enough tiles to fill your hand, then the game ends before the next player starts his turn. Since you draw new tiles after the monuments pay, then they would score in this case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue the last example, second possibility.. I am the active player. The conflict is over and monuments have paid out. I refresh my hand to 6 but another player (who participated in the conflict) cannot. Is the game over? In other words, does only the active player need to be able to refresh to 6, or does everyone at the table need to be able to?

The rules to the edition I own say:

Quote:
The game also ends when all tiles in the bag are exhausted and a player is unable to refresh his hand of tiles to 6.

Emphasis mine. That implies everyone has to be able to refresh to 6. But the following clarification muddles things:

Quote:
This can happen instantly when he tries to swap tiles, or when refreshing tiles at the end of his turn.

Emphasis mine. That may imply only the active player has to be able to refresh to 6.

Does anyone know of an official answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The active player for his turn conducts two Actions. If a player swaps Civ tiles during his first Action, he may use the new Civ tiles in his second Action, but if he cannot refresh his hand immediately back to 6 tiles, the game ends immediately.

Game End
The game ends when either of these conditions exist at the end of a player’s completed turn:
A. There are only one or two treasures left on the board.
B. Any player is unable to refresh his hand from the bag back to 6 Civ tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Itsyourfault wrote:

On Mayfair games website click on "Game Support"(to the left of "shopping cart") at the top of site and then "FAQ Directory"then "Tigris & Euphrates" and finally "Tigris & Euphrates FAQ.

I can't seem to find the game T&E listed when I check the FAQ:
http://mayfairgames.com/faq.php

Got an updated link?

The monument collecting rules came up in my game yesterday, it was scenario 2, but it will be good to print out this FAQ just in case it pops up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.