Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm curious about how you subjectively view yourself, in terms of pace of playing games? Would you judge yourself as a fast gamer, or a "not fast" gamer?

I say "not fast" because I basically want to know how many people consider themselves fast, and save the ensuing "Well, I wouldn't say I'm slow, either." people...
Poll
Do you consider yourself a fast gamer, or a more "not fast" gamer?
Yes, I'm a fast gamer.
No, I'm not a fast gamer.
      239 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of a standup comic I heard once, that said "75% of people consider themselves an above average driver".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm so fast, I'm too fast for my own good. I frequently bid too much, push my stack of chits too far, roll too quickly, or otherwise shoot myself in the foot in my haste.

I blame my parents. And society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I frequently wish boardgames had a chess timer on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always say: "If you can't play well, play fast."

This is especially true when we're learning a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
It obviously depends on the how well I know the game. But in games that I'm quite familiar with I try to have my actions planned ahead, money counted out and stacked, contingencies considered (if she does that, I'll do this instead) so that when my turn comes up I'm done in under a minute.

This isn't to say that I won't pause -- sometimes considerably -- if the situation requires thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If our choices are "fast" and "not fast," I suppose I'm in the latter category. My standards for "fast" are fairly rigorous, though. Fast means you're in motion the second your turn hits. I'm incensed by players who can't be bothered to start planning their next move until their turn comes along, at which point play comes to a screeching halt while they consider all of their options for the very first time.

That said, when my turn comes around during a particularly critical moment, I'm sometimes found pulling my hair and biting my lip, only to throw my hands in the air and exclaim, "I still don't know what to DO!"

I like to consider these moments rare, but I'm hardly an unbiased observer.

But seriously, people: slow players! Who needs 'em? You all know who it is in your gaming circle . . . and if you don't, you're it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgilbert wrote:

See the G8 Gametimer.
http://www.amazon.com/DREAM-GREEN-THE-G8-GAMETIMER/dp/B0009J...

If you're interested, I'll sell/trade you mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sgilbert wrote:
I need a programmable chess timer for 2-6 persons, and I'm forever checking iPhone apps to see if one has been written yet. It would greatly, greatly improve some of my games with some people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely have occasions where I have to stop and think for a few minutes to figure out what's the best move. But I do try to have a good idea of what I'm doing before it gets to me..just sometimes new information comes up that changes everything

Drives me crazy when I've finished my turn, know exactly what I'll be doing on my next turn (which will take 5 seconds at most), and my opponent has to think and think before making his play - particularly something like Dominion where there's not really all that much to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say anyone who does not continually procrastinate until the beginning of their next turn to reanalyze the situation could fall into the category of a fast gamer. Even if your move takes a little bit longer in the event your intended plans were foiled or a major shift in momentum has occurred, at least you were considering your options in your downtime rather than getting distracted by other trivial things. Just being intellectually invested in the game in progress is all I ask of any opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
msherwoo wrote:
We always say: "If you can't play well, play fast."

This is especially true when we're learning a game.

I think this adds to it a little, I call it "the spanish inquisition", because it's so unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of two types of people that I frequently play Risk games with:

1. (Slow Gamer) Always takes forever to decide what to do, no matter how obvious the situation is, and frequently says "I just don't know what to do" or "I don't want to make a mistake."

2. (Fast Player) Always goes quickly, making lots of mistakes, and later during other people's turns cannot stop complaining about it. "Oh, I didn't know that this card did that" or "Man, I wish I had seen that" or "Hey, there is a connection here".

I swear, there MUST be a middle ground somewhere. You know, for people who take forever to think of stuff, get befuddled, and then quickly make a wrong decision! :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well....if I don;t like the people I am gaming with and or the game...I am an extremely FAST gamer!!!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fast gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't really consider myself as fast, but compared to some of my (very good) gaming friends I'm definitely fast. Unfortunately our group has a tendency to overanalyze things now and then, so our gaming sessions tend to be quite long.

Ofcourse I find myself in AP on occasions but I mostly see myself more like a gamer that acts on instinct and experience. This definitely makes me loose more games than some friends that really 'learn how to win the game', but

a) First of all I don't bother to learn every detail and every aspect of a game. I really don't have the energy to

b) I rather play a game with friends, that has little down time due to AP and such.

My two cents....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put slow because it's probably true. I eat slow so I more than likely play slow (whatever that means!) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game gives me the opportunity to plan during other player's turns, I'm pretty fast. In games where there is a simultaneous selection (like Race for the Galaxy), I'm not quite as fast. I always think I'm holding everyone up and I end up deciding too quickly. Actually, now that I've played about 1,000 games against the RftG AI, I'm probably faster at that game than I think I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slower than hell......always trying to overthink to find the best move, i can live with the results as long as i made (what i think) was THE best move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fast gamer.
I'm not a slow gamer.
I'm a half-fast gamer.

You may have to say that aloud to get the laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poe
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have become a fast player out of neccesity. There are people that take long, and then there are people that make the game play time extend by an hour. I have to play fast, otherwise we would never play more than two games a night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your games take longer than the suggested time, then *someone* in the group is slow.

I want to design a game where the amount of time spent actually influences the game. If you're going to spend a lot of time on your turn, you better be sure you're it's worth the time. I see too many people take long turns just considering the same options over and over again, or worse just spacing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lensch
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I like to game at a medium pace.

/highfiveAdamSandler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
4th stringer wrote:
This reminds me of a standup comic I heard once, that said "75% of people consider themselves an above average driver".

I would like to think that all the players at my table are slower players. None of us are in the Huber-speed realm. Some of us are slower than others, but we all pause now and then (and sometimes more often) and mull our decisions (and often not to good effect), and I like that just fine. If the games didn't contain decisions I wanted to ponder, I wouldn't be playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.