Subject: why play nato ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is any real good reason to play nato as event?? europe is anyway hard to coup beacause of the defcon. do i play defcon wrong?? special relationship is also useless card as it is. any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NATO usually doesn't come into play unless the Soviets play it. Mostly it's just a nice 4OPs card for the US.

It does prevent Brush Wars in Italy, though.

I have not tried the new US events, but again, I think Special Relationship is only there to add more blue events that the Soviets might have to play. For the Americans its just more straight OPS without tradeoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
1) If anybody ever has the chance to coup and reallign in europe it's the USSR, as they go first each round (when DefCon in normaly highest) - so it might be in the interest of the US player to prevent that.
2) As the USSR-player, you don't have much choice. Burning a 4 Ops-card on the space race is a bit of a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
1) If anybody ever has the chance to coup and reallign in europe it's the USSR, as they go first each round (when DefCon in normaly highest) - so it might be in the interest of the US player to prevent that.
2) As the USSR-player, you don't have much choice. Burning a 4 Ops-card on the space race is a bit of a waste.

Justa quick de-railing here sorry... check your e-mail I made my move.

Sorry again back on track..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Soviet coups in Italy and realignments in W. Ger and France can be pretty annoying if not for NATO. Headlines such as Nuclear Test Ban or How I Learned to Stop Worrying can set the Defcon to 5 even if it ended at 2 on the previous turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

It does prevent Brush Wars in Italy, though.

I have played one game where the fact that NATO was in play (thereby preventing a Soviet Brush War in Italy in Turn 10) was the only thing that prevented Soviet control of Europe....and the Americans won that game with 18 or 19 VP. So NATO has the potential to be of great significance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repetitive play of a NATO-boosted Special Relationship does add up. 2 VPs and 2 Inf anywhere in Western Europe can be a pinch for Euro aggressive Soviets, and when headlined can force them into retrieving the situation instead of performing the customary round 1 coup.

And yeah don't underestimate its ability to prevent Brush Wars in Italy or coups/realignements in Europe. I've lost Italy more than once to this card, and have also been in the position where I would've lost Europe if realignments were permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for your comments , i am new to the game so some things are not so clear yet, is seems great game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually contemplating the usefulness of the NATO event for the US not too long ago, and I agree with all the points made here. Whenever I get NATO in hand as the US, I thus far have played it for Ops... it's nice to have that 4 in the deck. As the USSR, I have also played it for Ops instead of dumping it on the Space Race, since 4 Ops is hard to pass up considering that the event does not have any immediate drawbacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mythos999 wrote:
thank you all for your comments , i am new to the game so some things are not so clear yet, is seems great game !

You will find the more you play this game the more nuance that there is. Often cards that seem to have little value can have devastating power when used properly at the right time. Nuclear Subs, Vietnam Revolts, Nuclear Test Ban, How I Learned To Stop Worrying are just a few such cards that come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.