Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from memory, but one of the actions (Acquire PowerFortify), allows you to pick 2 areas you control and move dragonrunes freely between them (I think that is the language). Does this allow you to move a rune from a territory with a rune to a territory without one or does it just allow you to swap a real rune with a blank? I remember the language in the rules was open to interpretation either way. Haven't seen an answer in the FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
This is from memory, but one of the actions (Acquire Power I think), allows you to pick 2 areas you control and move dragonrunes freely between them (I think that is the language).

For what it's worth, it's the Fortify order.

Quote:
Does this allow you to move a rune from a territory with a rune to a territory without one or does it just allow you to swap a real rune with a blank? I remember the language in the rules was open to interpretation either way. Haven't seen an answer in the FAQ...

I would say "yes". Here's what the rulebook says:

"The player chooses two areas he controls and picks up any rune tokens in the areas. He then randomizes the rune tokens, looks at their faces, and places each token facedown in one of the two chosen areas (limit one rune token per area)."

So if you choose 1 area with a rune token, and one without, you pick up any rune tokens (in this case, just one), randomize the, um, 1, look at them, and place each of the 1 token in one of the two areas. So you could put it in the same area or the other area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the text. The word that made me think you could one to an empty space is "any" since that implies a variable number, and there can never be more than one. However the folks who taught me the game were equally convinced that you weren't supposed to be able to do this.

If this is not allowed, it makes the rune situation more volatile, since there is no way to pull runes back to "safety". I think it's more interesting if you can move a rune to an empty space. I was kind of surprised this wasn't already addressed since it seems like one of those rules that people will think should "obviously" be interpreted one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iron
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this thread we played the Fortify order as above i.e. you can move a rune token to a friendly area without any rune tokens.

With the Warrior's Guild Title (I hope I have the name right) this trick was too powerful as I just grabbed a fake rune and as I was marching with my army ahead I always moved it to my newly acquired area providing me +2 strength...

Are you guys sure it's the correct interpretation of the rule? It might be one of those questions that could be clarified by Corey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bveld wrote:
After reading this thread we played the Fortify order as above i.e. you can move a rune token to a friendly area without any rune tokens.

With the Warrior's Guild Title (I hope I have the name right) this trick was too powerful as I just grabbed a fake rune and as I was marching with my army ahead I always moved it to my newly acquired area providing me +2 strength...

Are you guys sure it's the correct interpretation of the rule? It might be one of those questions that could be clarified by Corey.

I don't see how that's too powerful; the Warrior's Guild title seems to be intended to be powerful. The +2 strength isn't unstoppable. And to use the "switch" ability, you have to use a Fortify order, which means you are either wasting Supremacy for the rest of the year (unless you play it in Winter). And you are burning an Order just to give +2 strength to the new area; kind of an expensive move. Even if you do it right away, the turn after conquering the area, if the opponent chooses to conquer to try and reclaim the area, they will always get to go first, meaning the counterattack won't have the benefit of the Fortify.

Plus, if you have the Lord Commander of the Warrior's Guild title, you'll probably want to attack areas that already have rune tokens already, because then you get the +2 attack for your attack, and you don't have to worry about using Fortify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.