Popular Tags: [View All]
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the Pegasus expansion changes the Investigative Committee cards to mean that the two Destiny Deck cards are no longer placed face up. This would seem to add a bit more of a challenge to (investigated) skill checks in that players now have to play cards uncertain if they will pass or not, instead of just playing the minimum to beat the destiny cards.

Is anyone playing the base game with these new rules? Is it an improvement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing it in BSG48 pbf game. So far, I'm not a big fan. Basically, with an IC in play you're looking to overshoot by about 3 (although it helps if you've got a good count on the destiny deck which is possible in the forum games, but not so in real life). So, it seems to effectively raise the target numbers of crisis checks by 3. End result, more skill cards are used than would be with the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
We're playing it in BSG48 pbf game. So far, I'm not a big fan. Basically, with an IC in play you're looking to overshoot by about 3 (although it helps if you've got a good count on the destiny deck which is possible in the forum games, but not so in real life). So, it seems to effectively raise the target numbers of crisis checks by 3. End result, more skill cards are used than would be with the original rules.

So what? Why does that necessarily make it "bad"? You seem to be implying that just because it is making the game harder for you, that it is a bad move in terms of bettering the gameplay. The original complaint against the base game IC was that it makes the game too easy for the humans and too boring in general - this revision was designed specifically to address that.

As a counter point, I played in a PbF game where the players were all heavy (base game) IC users and it completely ruined the game for me. There was never any uncertainty about whether a check would pass or not and so every check simply became a very boring "play cards until you hit the target number" affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So would you say then that adopting the Pegasus reading of IC cards is an acceptable or even standard house rule? I don't think FFG has said anything about it in any erratum or FAQ. I'm thinking of trying it out tonight though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
The revision is essentially a nerf to IC, so if you find your group over using them, apply the revision and see what happens. Since IC is really a human tool, you should only aply this nerf if you find the game to easy as a human.

The rule book is a good place to start a game and a good place end arguments, but if you need to modify the rules to balance the game for your group, then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I spoke to Corey about this when Pegasus first came out. His feelings are that the original IC are not broken and should still be used in the base game.

It was specifically changed to offset some of the other changes when playing the expansion.

However, he said you should be able to play with either set and it not make that much of a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

So what? Why does that necessarily make it "bad"? You seem to be implying that just because it is making the game harder for you, that it is a bad move in terms of bettering the gameplay. The original complaint against the base game IC was that it makes the game too easy for the humans and too boring in general - this revision was designed specifically to address that.

Okay....I said I wasn't a big fan...not that it necessarily makes it "bad".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution was to mix in all the new skill cards and crises and never play without the Pegasus board or Cylon locations overlay (and the other minor rules changes like the reveal sequence). We can still play Kobol and without Cylon leaders and it's not too much different. This way we never really play the base game.

But if you don't own Pegasus, I would personally agree with using the new IC text, because it adds a nice touch to the game and increases the difficultly slightly for humans, which is nice b/c the game is pretty easy for an experienced group of humans who understand that XO + press room = good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.