Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've aquired a decent amount of games over the last few months. I have found that the games I enjoy most are the semi-interactive games with a high fun factor. Dry games are not typically my thing. I do not hate dice... I actually like the bit or randomness they bring to a game (as long as its not all luck)

Some of my favorites so far are Catan, dominion, kingsburg, AH, and power grid. I also like games for groups of 4-6 like Cash n Guns that are quick and kind of crazy. Long, dry games dont go over as well in my weekly gaming group.

So, I'm looking for ideas on games that might not be on my radar for my next purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial no luck and very different game our group is just started playing.
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game Has been the most envoking, exhilarating, interacting game played by our group. If you want excitement this one is a sure hit, do not get expansion Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion many feel it will spoil the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan O'Connell
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you're looking for is Stone Age. It has a good amount of strategy and the theme is not intimidating for nongamers. I've turned my nongaming friends/family to my side with Stone Age.
It's also a great intro to worker placement type games (Agricola being probably the most advanced).
Just as in Kingsburg, Stone Age uses dice in a great way (harvesting resources by using the die roll).
If your gaming group doesn't like long analysis paralysis type games, skip Race for the Galaxy and Battlestar Galactica (though I definitely love BSG) and pick up Stone Age.
Puerto Rico is another great game. It's a bit drier than those you listed, but most people seem to love the mechanic in the game where you get to pick what role you want for the turn (by the way, Race for the Galaxy is the space version of San Juan, which is the card based version of Puerto Rico).
Also, look into Red November. The theme is fun and non gamers will like it.
Another light game that is a hit with my friends/family is Citadels. Look into that one as well. It's a card based game that shouldn't intimidate anyone.
Hope this helps! I'm kinda in the same boat as you are right now with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.....Its funny that the few other games I own are mentioned here.

RftG - wife hates it, so it doesnt get played much. Honestly I like the PC version better.

PR - I also have this one. I am undecided on it. I like the strategy involved, but its just so quiet at the table when this is played. Maybe we just arent big fans of role selection games

Citadels - played it with 2 and enjoyed it. I've tried to get a friend to bring it over to play more often to see if we like it with 4 or 5 people.

Stone Age - Another game I own. We do enjoy it, but Kingsburg has taken its place as our worker placement game of choice (though I'm sure it'll come out plenty)

I havent played Red November or Chinatown. I'll have to look into those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.