Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Johnson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, no it's not happening, as far as I know. So sorry if you got excited by the subject. I just wanna put it out there as an idea, a meme if you will, which ought to catch on and become FACT.

I don't have an Xbox. I have a Wii. So, honestly, I'd rather it was Wii. But hell, I'd buy an Xbox if this happened.

Sooo.... does anyone more in tune with the videogame world have any insight into this idea? Is it crazy to dream of? They did Ticket to Ride and Settlers, right? And I don't know for certain but it's GOTTA be about a million times easier to program board games than the fully immersive worlds that most video games seem to be these days. Some video game company could devote relatively miniscule resources to develop a nice VG version of our favorite board game and a whole bunch of us would buy it... right??

Just imagine: No thought having to be put into whether the political markers should move down. They just slide down automatically, with a pleasant sound effect. No reaching for the rule book and figuring out how your cards conflict and what to do about it.

The thing that's crazy about this game isn't so much the rules as it is the mechanics. And I understand that isn't solved by the online version available (which I would love to play but can't because I have a 5-year old Mac and they haven't updated their Java or whatever). Put the mechanics into the hands of an Xbox, Wii or Playstation and BAM. How awesome would that be? Who's with me? Letter-writing campaign? Let's get this done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up, but: Licensing issues plus publishing fees plus wrong target audience = no go. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's perfectly doable and simple from a technical standpoint (Though manipulating that game with just a joypad would require a good amount of testing to get the controls right).
But I don't see any market on the Box, a simple creators club member could never make and sell it just for fun (Because of licencing issues and so on), while the potential profit margin is so miniscule that Phalanx could hardly even hope to make back the money they'd have to invest into a professional development up front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any AI for the game would be very complex to write though... graphics and such are quicker, but to make it solo play vs the computer would take quite an effort. Unless they can manage to do a data dump from MG's brain...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side-note the existing on-line version is not allowed to implement the rules as it is not meant to replace owning the game.

As mentioned above the AI would be very tricky to implement, just look at all the posts on rules questions and tactics required even after the game has been around for some time now.

Not owning an XBOX I am assuming it is not possible to have Java running on it? I know people can do some strange things with them. If it could be, maybe the online version could be used on the XBOX. Although it would probably need rework to enable mouseless support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.... when I was dreaming, I wasn't even thinking about the AI because I wasn't thinking about solo play. I just want to be able to play online with a friend.

But I guess that makes the dream even more impossible. You can't put out a game which is ONLY playable with someone else online. Damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, sure it could happen. I wouldn't even worry about an AI being impossible to do, since any civilization type game or war strategy game has a similar level of complexity. I see it as a game that's made for PC first with possible console versions later.

In practice, however, I'm not sure if it would be profitable enough for a company to do it. There's simply not a big enough base for this type of game. I like where your head is at though, I don't play War of the Ring nearly enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Licensing would more than likely be a nightmare and very expensive for any publisher. More than that though would be getting an AI program that does the game justice. The game itself is easily one of the 5 best thought proving and strategic games ever created. I just cannot see there being any script written for it that would be able to make intelligent decisions based on abstract information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.