Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Did you ever give up on a game just by opening the box and see the content? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel in the Dark was my first and only so far. Not only was the scent terrible, but even after reading the rulebook I had no will at all to even try it. I sold it quickly after for a minimal amount and yet I still feel like a thief somehow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan
Did not even have to open the box, still in shrink wrap, will probably go with one of my sons when they head to university.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome, that was before my board gaming days, but the memory still haunts me.
Good to remember whenever I'm trying to get someone to try a game and they run away after seeing just a few pieces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Duel in the Dark was my first and only so far. Not only was the scent terrible, but even after reading the rulebook I had no will at all to even try it. I sold it quickly after for a minimal amount and yet I still feel like a thief somehow...

I totally understand about the smell, but I think the game's not bad at all. Of course, everyone's mileage varies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been many a time I looked at a photo on BGG, saw a bunch of wooden cubes on brown board, and just closed the tab and kept moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies. Not for me, but for the person who gave it to Goodwill. I bought it for $2 and it was completely untouched. However, I only got as far as reconciling the components with the component list before I sold it at a con auction. That being said, it was because of A&A that I found BGG, so I'm very happy for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:

I totally understand about the smell, but I think the game's not bad at all. Of course, everyone's mileage varies...

You ever smell the contents of Nexus Ops? I'm not sure if I enjoyed the game or if I was just high off the fumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
nastycleavage wrote:
Titan
Did not even have to open the box, still in shrink wrap, will probably go with one of my sons when they head to university.

Oh, the humanity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Did you ever give up on a game just by opening the box and see the content?

Nope.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot Those were some ugly, cheap looking cards. As soon as I opened it I thought "no one I know is gonna be up for this.." Traded it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
jrbentley wrote:

You ever smell the contents of Nexus Ops? I'm not sure if I enjoyed the game or if I was just high off the fumes.

My copy of Nexus Ops wasn't too bad, but Blood Feud In New York had to be put out in the garage for a few days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Corlis
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous.
badge
I'm nine hundred and three years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
Titan

I can understand opening a game and deciding you won't like it, but why would you purchase a game and not open it? I mean, you don't get any new information - you could see the back of the box before purchasing, right? What made you change your mind between buying and deciding not to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Endeavor, almost even before i opened the box. I had heard so many good things on the game I went ahead and ordered it. It arrived and I saw it was Zman games.

I don't want to knock them because form other posts you can determine the fantastic customer service and representation.

I just find that the production quality on the zman games I have been exposed to wasn't that great.

My Duel in the Dark barely had a slight chemical order but I still felt the board and bits were low quality.

Endeavor is supposed to be great and i hope to get it to the table soon. Upon opening the box though, the bits are low quality and bland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! i got one really nasty smelling set and one that is not as bad. Common for both sets is that they both were a countersheet short.

Countersheets were send to me from the publishers within days of me contacting them but the smell lingers..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I almost gave up on stone-age due to the incredible smell of the included leather dice cup. I'm glad I didn't though, since it is such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization. Got it in a math trade, saw the size of the boards, and knew there was no way it'd ever get played. Got rid of it in the next math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how many dozens of board games one needs to buy before "It smelled bad" starts sounding like a reasonable excuse not to play one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft, read the rules, thought it had some nice effects and design, no ones going to play it for that long and a two player.

Other was Game of Thrones, after many games ofthe original shogun and diplomacy, all on all with backstabing wasn't going to fly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game with lots of small wooden blocks.

Happy to say my phobia of that has decreased as of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
I wonder how many dozens of board games one needs to buy before "It smelled bad" starts sounding like a reasonable excuse not to play one of them.

One... if it smells bad enough.

One game that is... not one dozen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Holding
Australia
Berkeley
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors

I had somehow been given the impression that it was a medium-weight fantasy deck-building game. When I opened it up and saw the limited variety of simple cards I realised I should not have blind bought shake .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:

Endeavor, almost even before i opened the box. I had heard so many good things on the game I went ahead and ordered it. It arrived and I saw it was Zman games.

I don't want to knock them because form other posts you can determine the fantastic customer service and representation.

I just find that the production quality on the zman games I have been exposed to wasn't that great.

My Duel in the Dark barely had a slight chemical order but I still felt the board and bits were low quality.

Endeavor is supposed to be great and i hope to get it to the table soon. Upon opening the box though, the bits are low quality and bland.

I actually didn't mind the components in Endevour, but the gameplay was too similar to other games and didn't quite give me that wow factor I was looking for. An OK game, but one I won't be playing consistently any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I GIVE YOU:

Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark - Unresearched purchase, a game I bought as I learned about BGG. As soon as I opened it I knew this was never going to hit the table. Luckily the guy at my local gaming store had a friend who wanted it and I had bought the last copy so he was willing to buy it at full price. He gave me a full refund which shocked me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich First and only time its ever happened to me. I got this as a Christmas present when I was probably 14. Opened it up looked inside and realized that the only people who I had to play games with were my little brothers who were 9 and 10. Realizing that we RARELY made it through a game of Risk without one of them kicking the board I didn't see this one ever getting played....especially without loosing half of the 24902335665 cardboard chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.