Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In rcbevco's RSPOTNSD thread (wow -- it was fun to write those consonant-filled nonsense words right next to one another), Mondainai posted this:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
Do you have any theories about its cause?
D-vitamin deficiency. When you're pregnant, you need to eat D-vitamin pills, especially if you're dark-skinned and/or live far from the equator and don't go out much when it's sunny.

I didn't want to derail that thread, so I've created this thread to ask this question of Mondainai:

What is the factual backup you have to support this idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I'm curious about this as well.

In Austin, we have THE guy who has done more to cripple immunization in this country, arguing that measles shots cause Autism. Recently, his article has been overturned by the UK Medical community. But because he has a clinic devoted to finding alternative treatments to Autism here in Austin, this is an issue that makes it way to the local papers that I've been particularly interested in following.

(Don't want to derail Corross' derailment, but if anyone is curious, I can dig up the actual names/articles from the Austin-Statesman.)

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
corross wrote:
In rcbevco's RSPOTNSD thread (wow -- it was fun to write those consonant-filled nonsense words right next to one another), Mondainai posted this:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
D-vitamin deficiency. When you're pregnant, you need to eat D-vitamin pills, especially if you're dark-skinned and/or live far from the equator and don't go out much when it's sunny.

I didn't want to derail that thread, so I've created this thread to ask this question of Mondainai:

It was an article in today's newspaper. Here's the same stuff in English: http://www.usnews.com/health/blogs/on-parenting/2009/04/24/c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now Vitamin D deficiency is very trendy. I can't address anything having to do with it and autism specifically. Vit D deficiency is being linked to/blamed on everything imaginable. Medical research has hot topics like any field.

Low Vit D has been demographically associated with multiple sclerosis (note that I didn't say cause, and here's one of many papers about this topic). This observation may explain why MS is more common in areas further away from the equator.

Here is the abstract to a review of the Vit D deficiency.

Anyhoo, a lot of folks reckon that Vitamin D deficiency is a lab observation lookin' for a disease (rickets aside).

Is autism linked to latitude? Not that I know of. Frankly, no one really knows what the hell autism is anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
In Austin, we have THE guy who has done more to cripple immunization in this country, arguing that measles shots cause Autism.

I hate that guy. We don't hear about it in the news much, but I have a few friends in ER and OB/GYN, and it's apparently a much bigger problem than one would expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wakefield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
corross wrote:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

It was an article in today's newspaper. Here's the same stuff in English: http://www.usnews.com/health/blogs/on-parenting/2009/04/24/c...

That article appeared to be based on, and included a link to, another one in Scientific American that I found fascinating.

It sounds like this idea is currently based mostly on the possibility that some Somalian populations in northern latitudes (specifically Sweden and Minnesota) have higher-than-average rates of autism. It strikes me as odd . . . there are many populations of people with dark skin who live in far-from-equatorial latitudes (and who do not, as far as I know, have unusually high autism rates), so the Somalian connection on its own strikes me as a fairly slim reed of evidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Right now Vitamin D deficiency is very trendy. I can't address anything having to do with it and autism specifically. Vit D deficiency is being linked to/blamed on everything imaginable. Medical research has hot topics like any field.

Low Vit D has been demographically associated with multiple sclerosis (note that I didn't say cause, and here's one of many papers about this topic). This observation may explain why MS is more common in areas further away from the equator.

Here is the abstract to a review of the Vit D deficiency.

Anyhoo, a lot of folks reckon that Vitamin D deficiency is a lab observation lookin' for a disease (rickets aside).

Is autism linked to latitude? Not that I know of. Frankly, no one really knows what the hell autism is anyway.

Thanks, Josh! I'm far from Pubmed-savvy . . . is there a way to see more than an abstract of that review (that, uh, doesn't cost me any money)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
In Austin, we have THE guy who has done more to cripple immunization in this country, arguing that measles shots cause Autism. Recently, his article has been overturned by the UK Medical community. But because he has a clinic devoted to finding alternative treatments to Autism here in Austin, this is an issue that makes it way to the local papers that I've been particularly interested in following.

(Don't want to derail Corross' derailment, but if anyone is curious, I can dig up the actual names/articles from the Austin-Statesman.)

Oh, please do! That autism/MMR stuff bugs the heck out of me, and I'd love to know more about that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corross wrote:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

A scientist (Loomis, US I think) carried research in the 70ies explaining how skin changed to adapt to latitudes, all this related to the synthesis of vitamin D.

Also , this is article does a good job in explaining all that in layman terms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
corross wrote:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

A scientist (Loomis, US I think) carried research in the 70ies explaining how skin changed to adapt to latitudes, all this related to the synthesis of vitamin D.

Also , this is article does a good job in explaining all that in layman terms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skin_color

Oh, sure -- I knew that skin color (which is related to the place of ancestral origin) affects the level of Vitamin D synthesis. I'd never heard before that Vitamin D levels were being linked to autism diagnoses . . . that's what I wanted factual backup about, because it was new to me and because I was initially (and continue, based on the information provided, to be) skeptical of the claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
dysjunct wrote:
Andrew Wakefield?

That's the guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Mondainai wrote:
corross wrote:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

I wouldn't call that factual, but it is an interesting theory. I would like to see more research done on it.

I wonder how Kim Stagliano and Jenny McCarthy feel about this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
corross wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
snip

Here is the abstract to a review of the Vit D deficiency.[

snip

Thanks, Josh! I'm far from Pubmed-savvy . . . is there a way to see more than an abstract of that review (that, uh, doesn't cost me any money)?
They recently updated PubMed to make it look cooler, but it's now clunkier.

Some tips:

At the mid-top of the homepage, see where it says "Limits"? Click that so you can constrain your search, otherwise you will drown in data. Click "Humans" on the lower left so you don't get veterinary research. Don't bother limiting your search to English-only, as almost all abstracts will be in English. The bottom left box is maybe the most important (Text Options). This can limit you to articles with abstracts, or even better the entire text for free. However, free full text is unfortunately rare.

For the article I linked to above, PubMed indicates that it is available for free (upper right of screen), but the click-through does not seem to work.

Are you associated with a university? If so, they usually have electronic subscriptions to the major journals. Thus, if you access PubMed through their portal, you will be able to read and download many more articles.

There is always the dreary go-to-a-medical-library approach.

Finally there is the easiest approach: PM me and I'll send the PDF to your email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
corross wrote:

Mondainai wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

I wouldn't call that factual, but it is an interesting theory. I would like to see more research done on it.

I wonder how Kim Stagliano and Jenny McCarthy feel about this...

Jenny McCarthy should get a manslaughter charge for everyone that dies from a transmitted disease stemming back to an intentionally unimmunized child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
sisteray, I take it you have seen her web page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
sisteray, I take it you have seen her web page?

That's depressing...

... (even worse knowing that her son might be misdiagnosed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.