BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help!!!!!!! Power Grid or Dominion!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] [View All]
Boardgame nooby Boardgame nooby
Belize
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
gulpgulpgulpokay im new to board games really, and i think they are sooooo soo soo much fun. gonna sell the vgames and start getting crazy board games.

im gonna get munchkin. cause that gamed looked hillarious!!!!!

and im havin a lil trouble with
PowerGrid? or Dominion?
I hear they both are excellent games

Im more of a strategic gamer, love business games
but a card game, ehh idk.....
but my crowd of ppl who just wanna have fun.

Help!!!!!

buddy has settlers of catan.

If you guys have any sweet games that you enjoy post that also please! really wanna start gettin into boardgames

but what would u get, powergrid, or Dominion , and why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dominion. Buy Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion. Power Grid is too unforgiving to new gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get both but for different groups of people. If your crowd just wants to have fun then I'd start with Dominion before moving to something significantly heavier ala Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Powergrid is deeper and more satisfying.

Dominion plays faster, so you can play it more often with a wider variety of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen anyone laugh (or even smile) playing Dominion, and it's been the treat of the week at my game club for months.

It sound to me like you'd prefer Power Grid.

If you don't have the opportunity to playtest games in advance, this can be a very good way to get a feel for them, to see if you'll like them:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23763/the-definitive-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip Munchkin. You'll be bored of it in a week.

If you are new to board games, get Dominion first. Power Grid is good, but you'll probably want to play with 2+ other players - it plays better. Dominion works well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Both are great games.
Sounds like your group would like Dominion and you would like Power Grid.
So get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your gaming group:
* Powergrid: Serious real Eurogamers.
* Dominion: Recovering CCG addicts and light gamers.

You might want to avoid falling into the trap of buying too many games and throwing them at your gaming group. Also, browse the geeklists for "gateway" games. Note that BGG has a bias towards Euros.

Munchkin and Power Grid are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you like one, you won't like the other.

If you can tell us more about your gaming group, that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is too much math for this cowboy. Dominion all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I've never seen anyone laugh (or even smile) playing Dominion, and it's been the treat of the week at my game club for months.

It sound to me like you'd prefer Power Grid.

And you see people laughing it up playing Power Grid? I definitely see more laughs with Dominion. Though if "laughs" is what you are going for, probably neither of them are very good.

Coops tend to lead to laughs, as do games that beget story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mixemong
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm that's a tough one, both games have equal merit but are good for different reasons. Group size, type of gamers and such factors should be taken into consideration. The best advice I could give is try to find a local gaming group that has them available to try to see what you like. Power Grid is not that hard but can have nasty screwage where Dominion is mostly solitare. Either way no matter which one you buy good luck on the path to board game geekdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is in my top 10. Dominion not so much.

Dominion is more likely to work as a nice short game you can play repeatedly with your buddies. It should entertain most everyone.

Power Grid is nice to bring out every once in a while when you have the time to enjoy a meatier game. I would not make a steady diet of Power Grid. Everyone says Power Grid is complex but actually the theme is so nicely carried out that almost all of your actions make sense (in real world terms). As long as one person knows how to properly rotate the power plants, everyone else will have a great time focusing on their individual strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame nooby Boardgame nooby
Belize
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
alright soo , ha that was fast! i like this place

PowerGrid is what it looks like so far,
busniness games are my kinda thing, so il get that for me
haha i lol'ed at the cowboy comment xD
CHANGE TOPIC

my group is kinda nerdy,
they just like to have fun and do stupid stuff really, lol
we have axis and allies , but my group is pretty stupid , soo yeah
that doesnt work out,

a game that doesnt involve too much thinkin, but really fun!

a game that involes Negotiating,

Guys any with that being said,

Dudes, what games should i get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Powergrid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Munchkin and Power Grid are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you like one, you won't like the other.

And I'm the exception to that rule (at least partly). Power Grid is an always play kind of game for me, and I like Munchkin (as long as it ends in about an hour, so generally 3-4 player games).

I like Dominion for its quick play and variety, but find Power Grid much more satisfying.

I should warn you that Power Grid's rulebook is terrible to try to read through and you should find someone to teach it to you, or check out some of the rewritten rulebooks. It's not as complicated as the rules appear to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the makeup of your game group you might consider the following:

Unnamed Object- a light, press your luck game

Small World - a lighter "war" game which scales well from 2-5 players

Bohnanza - a fun card game with an element of negotiation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditch Munchkin and get both Dominion and Power Grid. You will thank me in the future.

Munchkin is the type of game you may enjoy a couple of times but it gets old fast. Power Grid will provide hours of fun and good deep strategy while Dominion is good filler game that has a good amount of replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domionion is definitely the game to get first. It will hit your game table many more times than Power Grid. Power Grid deserves to be in your collection as well, however many times you have time to play a game or two of Dominion where it takes quite a bit more commitment in time and effort to get a Power Grid game finished. In summary both are good in different ways, but you will get much more milage out of Dominion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dunn
Australia
Corinda
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun = Galaxy Trucker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fenton
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have not played munchkin but from what i hear its junk, look into this game some more

I would say get power grid, I have had fairly vergin gamers understand this game and play fairly well the first go.

there are nice video reviews on "boardgames with scott" and "the dice tower" web sites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the Galaxy Trucker...but to get to 5 player, you'll need to buy the expansion as well...and the two together will run you around $70+...

Another fun game if you can find it is Dice Town...lots of light, fun interaction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
DONT GET DOMINION. nuff said. Play microsoft windows solitaire instead - it's very similar.

and PG is amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill C.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If they like negotiating, try Bohnanza. That is fun and fast, involves tons of trading and a fun theme, and is a totally solid card game and inexpensive. I'd recommend that over Munchkins any day, plus I'm sure there are video reviews/game instructions floating around BGG somewhere to get an idea about it! I've played it with 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 players and it works very well with any of those numbers.

If they don't want to think too much, go with Dominion. The cards don't take too much effort to learn, there are several initial beginner setups, and you can teach it to many more people because a game of Dominion can be played in about 1/4 the time of Power Grid (my siblings and I can play Dominion in about 15 minutes now that we have the swing of it. Plan for longer games with new combinations and cards though, because people will be trying to figure out new strategies!) Currently it is one of my top favorite games now and I would play it over Power Grid at the moment, mostly because it is shiny and new and sometimes I have a chance of winning.

That being said, Power Grid is excellent although it has a lot of setup and I think probably there are other games that are better as gateway games to begin playing if your group is not used to such games. It was one of my favorite games for quite a while, it's just so *slickly* designed and it really gets across the idea of supply and demand; I've used it as an example of said case in one of my Science class papers. (How geeky is that to mention board games in college papers? blush I'm glad I didn't have to cite Power Grid in that particular class: I wonder how one WOULD cite board games.) I'd worry most about the length in your case but if that's not a problem, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy is new to gaming, finds board games fun, is putting away the video games, his friends want fun eay games from the sounds of it and people are seriously suggesting Power grid over Dominion? I mean he even wants to buy Munchkin so Dominion should be a no-brainer for him. He isn't asking what game you prefer, he's asking what game he should buy next for him and his game group. This is exactly the type of group that Dominion does well with. A lot of posters here like to diss Dominion because it's simple, light and popular but new players, fans of lighter games etc. eat this up. Honestly when I was new here I wish more posters had of kept this in mind instead of recommending games my group wasn't ready for. So when he comes back and says his group wants something meatier than Dominion, Power Grid would make a great recommendation I think.

To the OP, don't worry about it being a card game either. Honestly I'm not a fan of them either but something about it doesn't feel like a card game. Everyone I have played it with loves it.

Note: I own Munchkin and like you are fairly new to gaming, my group and I playing for fun more than anything else. I won't say not to buy Munchkin, honestly we had a BLAST the first two games. After that it has flopped though. If you do buy it, buy the base game only! It's cheap and not a big loss if it doesn't work for you. Play it a few times and make sure your group loves it before buying expansions. Next time I play I am going to put a timer on it and the highest player wins. When this game drags on too long it's a huge flop. When it's quick it's fun, fun fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.