Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the B-deck:

"Ellen: Use a neutral or blue "person" card in a row or column with any character marker on it (no 1x cards)."

After spending time trying to parse what this could mean, I gave up and came here. BGG translations suggest meanings of the card that are not consistent with the above, so I assume one is just a mistranslation.

Can anyone post the original German? And / or shed some light on what the card is supposed to do?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Silverio

West Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game the other night we couldn't decipher the meaning of that card either.

I'd sure love to hear the answer.

Is it really supposed to be more like Brother REmigius?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[text redacted for nonsense answer]

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Alex!

AlexYeager wrote:
Is that more clear?

Hmmm...well, it brings up a few more questions:

AlexYeager wrote:
(the current set of cards do not contain any neutral non-1x cards, so that part is null)

Transfer of Power, Income, Ore, etc., all appear to be neutral non-1x cards, I believe? The paragraph on the bottom right of page 4 explains about the neutral cards.

AlexYeager wrote:
if you obtain Ellen in round two, you could use a blue character that you have claimed on the board during round 3

By my understanding, the chosen cards do not persist from round to round, unless there is a "x1", in which you can save them for later. This may be a piece of the issue.

I found a French image on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/643503/the-pillars-of-the...

which states for Ellen:

"Use 1 Neutral card or 1 Blue Person card, whether marked or not, in this row or column. Does not apply to 1x cards."

This is consistent with the English "Brother Remigius" text, which has French text identical to Ellen's:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/643530/the-pillars-of-the...

This makes perfect sense to me. Did the Designer or Publisher ask for this to be changed?

Again, thanks, Alex, for the quick response!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have the German copy in front of me (and of course I misremembered the character rule as mentioned above, meaning that it's best that my original answer doesn't exist). Yes, the German text is identical for Brother Remigus and Ellen (with the exception of the flip-flop in colors). So, Ellen should read:

"Use any neutral or blue "person" card with or without a marker (no "1x" cards)."

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Alex!

AlexYeager wrote:
"Use any neutral or blue "person" card with or without a marker (no "1x" cards)."

Right, though not quite -- I'm pretty sure it only works for cards in the Row or Column that Ellen is in. Same with Brother Remigius. So, I believe both Ellen and Brother Remigius need to be changed.

Also, I have concerns about:

Volunteer Workers
and
Empress Maud Grants a Favor

These cards perform a similar type of ability as Regan Hamleigh in the French, but have abilities different from Regan Hamleigh in the English.

Jack and Volunteer Workers do the same thing in English, however different things in the French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do these mean neutral cards or (color) person card

or

neutral person card or (color) person card.

In other words can it only be used on a person card or can it be used on all cards except one color card?

Another answer might be that "person" card should be "personal" card? (Since person isn't defined in the rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellen and Bruder Remigius both work the same.
German text reads
Quote:
Nutze 1 neutrale Karte oder 1 rote (blaue) Personenkarte, die auch belegt sein darf, aus dieser Reihe oder Spalte.
Gilt nicht for "1x"-Karten

So you can use another card in the same row or column as the Ellen/Remigius card, regardless of whether or not the card has a person marker. However, one can NOT use a "1x"-card.

Interesting feature as it allows to use a card which is NOT in your selected row/column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Luk Van Baelen wrote:
Ellen and Bruder Remigius both work the same.
German text reads
Quote:
Nutze 1 neutrale Karte oder 1 rote (blaue) Personenkarte, die auch belegt sein darf, aus dieser Reihe oder Spalte.
Gilt nicht for "1x"-Karten

So you can use another card in the same row or column as the Ellen/Remigius card, regardless of whether or not the card has a person marker. However, one can NOT use a "1x"-card.

Interesting feature as it allows to use a card which is NOT in your selected row/column.

As has already been noted, this is a glaring misprint in the Mayfair edition. And your German version imposes the row-and-column restrictions specifically omitted in Alex' post above. I'm hoping we can get replacement cards when the corrected reprint is released.

With that said, we loved this game last night. I'll simply have to include a page of errata until the "fixed" cards are available.

EDIT: Here's another interesting difference. According to the caption for this image, the publisher corrected the Audience with King Stephan card. The text on the English copy I possess reads, "Take gold from the bank so that both players have an equal amount of gold." The corrected French text reads, "Take the number of gold coins from the bank needed to have as many as your opponent" I prefer the translation from French, as it makes the card "one way;" in other words, if I were ahead in gold and selected this card, then the English version indicates my opponent would receive coins from the bank -- a negative result. The French version is neutral, and allows for blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Beowulf wrote:
I prefer the translation from French, as it makes the card "one way;" in other words, if I were ahead in gold and selected this card, then the English version indicates my opponent would receive coins from the bank -- a negative result.

It's a 1x card; you aren't forced to play it. Even if you win it and are behind, you might want to save it until you are more behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played 4 games tonight and the "gameplay" and theme are excellent, but there are numerous ambiguous rules. So many that when we tried to deduce the correct rule on one item, later on it created problems with another item...

When will an errata sheet be done? This game might need numerous new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a compilation of these translation issues in one convenient location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Otomakan wrote:
Is there a compilation of these translation issues in one convenient location?

Sadly, there is nothing official. I performed this analysis of all of the cards, which I then distilled down to this page covering the five cards that were ambiguous.

It was all done nearly four years ago, so be gentle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
Sadly, there is nothing official. I performed this analysis of all of the cards, which I then distilled down to this page covering the five cards that were ambiguous.

It was all done nearly four years ago, so be gentle.

Great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.