Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the tradition of our monthly Dominion tournaments has continued to grow, I've been considering ways to add some variety to the events. With Seaside established for a few months, and Alchemy barely on the horizon, I figured now was the time for a gimmick event: The Black Market Tournament.

With 78 Kingdom cards available, building the Black Market deck has gone from fun to daunting (and, honestly, not that much fun with 68 cards). Instead, I had a vision of a Black Market rife with truly exotic and foreign goods: player-created cards! For our Black Market event, each player that won a match would be given a blank card and asked to design something new. What came pouring out of the participants were cards ranging from thought-provoking to downright abusive.

We had a strong turnout of 12 players, tying for best attendance with a few prior events. To maximize the number of cards designed, we divided into four tables of three. In hindsight, this also rewards fewer match points, making it easier for players to catch up after a bad first round.

Round One: Mine, Woodcutter, Wishing Well, Ambassador, Bazaar, Cutpurse, Fishing Village, Native Village, Navigator, and Pirate Ship

Austin: 39 pts
Anthony: 28
Tim: 25

Forrest: 54 pts
Ryan: 38
Scott: 27

Ha: 40 pts
Kevin: 29
Dave: 26

Rob: 37 pts
Keith: 33
Kurt: 25

Austin passed his blank card to me, as I was sitting out to ensure an even number. I created this:
Double Dealing
Action - cost 4
Choose a non-Duration Action in your hand and play it. It becomes a Duration and gains "Now and at the beginning of your next turn" at the start of its text.

Forrest's card reflected his hate of one particular Kingdom card:
Anti-Gardens
Victory - cost 6
Each other player loses 1 VP for every 10 cards in their deck.

Ha, one of the players known for abusing Masquerade and Ambassador, gave us this:
Blind Masquerade
Action - cost 3
Each player gains a Curse, putting it in his hand.
All players shuffle their hand and randomly pass one to the player on their left.
You may trash one card.

Rob, a constant top-level player, decided to ramp up the power scale with this:
Tax Collector
Action: Attack - cost 4
+1 Action
All other players reveal their hands and top five cards of their deck. All Action cards revealed this way are discarded. All Gold and Silver are placed at the bottom of their decks in any order. All remaining revealed cards are added to their hands.

Round Two: Festival, Throne Room, Courtyard, Ironworks, Embargo, Explorer, Ghost Ship, Outpost, Smugglers, and Treasury

Ha: 21 pts (6 match points, 61 game points)
Forrest: 19 (4.5, 73)
Austin: 19 (4.5, 58)

Rob: 22 pts (6, 59)
Ryan: 10 (4, 48)
Keith: 8 (3, 41)

Kevin: 8 pts (5, 37)
Anthony: 3 (3.5, 31)
Scott: 3 (2.5, 30)

Tim: 33 pts (4, 58)
Dave: 29 (3, 55)
Kurt: 22 (2, 47)

With his second win, Ha began to consider outside suggestions. I told him I'd love to see a card that came back from the Trash, so he designed this:
Year Of Plenty
Action - cost 4
Trash this card. Give a card from your hand to each opponent.
This card may be purchased from the Trash for 6.

After giving us a powerful first-round card, Rob designed another "magic bullet" aimed at answering the glut of Curses:
Blessing
Action: Reaction - cost 3
+1 Card
+1 Action
When this card is in your deck, all negative VP cards in your deck count as positive VPs of the same value.
Any time you would gain any number of Curses, you may reveal this card. Instead, gain up to that many copies of Silver.

Kevin, seizing on Rob's idea that Curses might some day be gained in multiples, created this monstrosity:
Jinxed
Action: Attack: Duration - cost 6
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Coin.
During each player's Buy phase, if they buy:
an Action, they gain 1 Curse
a Treasure, they gain 2 Curses
a Victory, they gain 3 Curses

Tim is always someone that can be counted on for a combination of cleverness and simplicity:
Cursed Doubloon
Treasure: Curse - cost 4
3 Coin
-1 VP

Round Three: Bureaucrat, Gardens, Market, Militia, Harem, Steward, Trading Post, Haven, Lighthouse, and Pearl Diver

Ha: 38 pts (9 match points, 99 game points)
Kevin: 36 (7, 73)
Rob: 30 (7, 89)

Austin: 56 pts (7.5, 114)
Forrest: 47 (6.5, 120)
Tim: 42 (5, 100)

Dave: 67 pts (6, 122)
Anthony: 63 (5.5, 94)
Ryan: 54 (5, 102)

Keith: 65 pts (6, 106)
Kurt: 48 (4, 95)
Scott: 40 (3.5, 70)

For Ha's third win, he consulted with Ryan, who had finished strongly in two rounds but never won a single match:
Forest Primeval
Action: Victory - cost 6
Gain 1 Silver, placing it on top of your deck.
10 VP
-1 VP for every 5 cards in your deck.

When Austin won a second time, he had seen the fun everyone had creating strong attack cards and added one of his own:
Bandits
Action: Attack - cost 6
+1 Card
+1 Action
All opponents discard all Treasure cards.

Dave is a fan of "drinking Dominion", the variant where a player takes a shot every time he has 7 coin, so he gave us this fun card:
Pub
Action - cost 7
+4 Coin
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You only draw 3 cards (instead of 5) in this turn's Clean-Up phase.

Keith is another player of the Masquerade/Ambassador style, which is reflected in his card:
Cursed Island
Action: Curse - cost 2
-3 VP
When you play this card, place it in the discard pile of the player to your left.

Ha, Austin, Rob, and Kevin advanced to the final round. This was Austin and Kevin's first tournament each, while Ha and Rob are often near or at the top of the tournament scene. As is final round tradition, each player selected a Kingdom card to use from those unused thus far:
Ha: Masquerade
Austin: Caravan
Rob: Smithy
Kevin: Tactician

Final Round: Masquerade, Caravan, Smithy, Tactician, Scout, Wharf, Envoy, Swindler, Merchant Ship, and Torturer

Kevin: 45 pts
Ha: 30
Austin: 14 (?)
Rob: 12

Congratulations to Kevin for prevailing in his first tournament! In addition, he drew up the last of our 13-card Black Market deck (with some input from yours truly, again):
Purge
Action - cost 1
Trash this card. Search your deck and discard pile for up to two cards and trash them.

As always, thanks to everyone that came out (as well as those that would have made it if not for GRAB's Game Day falling on the same day). Our next Dominion tournament will be held on Saturday February 27. If you are anywhere near the west Michigan area, we'd love to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the next GRAB day is 3/6, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
You know the next GRAB day is 3/6, right?

That's why we have a Demo Day on 2/20 and Dominion on 2/27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try to come, but I'm planning on the 3/6 GRAB Day. Will you be there, or any of your crew?

JT's been asking about the next Dominion tourney. You should have a mailing list. Should announce on the GRAB list, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you guys going to have a San Francisco Bay Area CA Dominion Tournament? I want to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
When are you guys going to have a San Francisco Bay Area CA Dominion Tournament? I want to play!

When I move to San Francisco... which is likely never, but still. There's always a chance, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.