Subject: "Most Productive" Sphinx cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the "most productive brown fields" card at the end of the game, can you count brown fields that you have reduced using those special Nile cards that let you lower them ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That question came up a few weeks ago in a game. I remember that we read the relevant rules sections (about the special modifier cards, about that secret goal cards, and about the food production cards) and we convinced ourselves that yes, it depends on the base type of the card, independent of the special modifier cards. But I don't remember specifically what our reasoning was, only that we were all convinced. So hopefully someone will post a comment with a more explicit proof.

EDIT: But perhaps we were wrong, or I remember wrong; see next comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the German rules the description text to that special card which can improve food cards is this:

"Der Spieler ordnet diese Karte einem Getreidefeld zu und verbessert damit dieses um eine Stufe für alle Belange im gesamten Spiel."

I marked the last part because I think it is important for your question. I would translate the fat marked part like this:
"for all interests in the whole game"

So if a brown food card (I mean that medium-brown card, red-brown card would be the same case) is improved to a green food card by using that special card I would mean it is a green food card from now on until the game is over.

If you had that "most productive green fields" - sphinx card instead you could count that improved field.

This is my personal opinion. I am not totally sure but that translated part of the special food improvement card sounds clear to me.

(Sorry if my English is not perfect, I hope you could understand.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Brer Bear2 wrote:
In the German rules the description text to that special card which can improve food cards is this:

"Der Spieler ordnet diese Karte einem Getreidefeld zu und verbessert damit dieses um eine Stufe für alle Belange im gesamten Spiel."

I marked the last part because I think it is important for your question. I would translate the fat marked part like this:
"for all interests in the whole game"

Yes ... I think I agree with this translation.

The fact that they specifically say that the field is changed for all purposes seems to me that they have deliberately mentioned it.

Shame they couldn't have mentioned it when describing the Sphinx Cards, but I think that's how we'll play it.

Thanks to both!

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hansi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way some time ago the German publisher Hans im Glück has opened a website with some rules clarification.

Just in case that you don't know about it, here it is:
http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/233.0.html

I will not translate the whole text but two important points are that each player gets a sphinx card at the beginning of the game and a player can pass during the second phase (until that phase is finished).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brer Bear2 wrote:
By the way some time ago the German publisher Hans im Glück has opened a website with some rules clarification.

Just in case that you don't know about it, here it is:
http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/233.0.html

I will not translate the whole text but two important points are that each player gets a sphinx card at the beginning of the game and a player can pass during the second phase (until that phase is finished).

Excellent. Thanks for that.

Starting with a Sphinx card is a big change - plus it gives you something to aim for.

I just assumed it was like The Princes of Florence where the cards you drew through the game steered you in a particular direction.

Interesting that they have changed the +2 cards - Now you can no longer spend 0 stones (in contrast to the original rules)

Edit: Another interesting point: It clarifies the "occupied circular space" card saying that you must follow the flow of the river. This seems to say that you cannot place it on a space you have already used, which is the opposite of the rulebook.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Edit: Another interesting point: It clarifies the "occupied circular space" card saying that you must follow the flow of the river. This seems to say that you cannot place it on a space you have already used, which is the opposite of the rulebook.

I'm not sure about this. If you place a ship on a circular space and the next ship on this same space, I guess you follow the flow of the river. The intention of this clarification imho is to prevent placing ships backward. Of course there is still room for speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.