Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've enjoyed playing St Petersburg, Notre Dame and Stone Age on a regular basis. Looking for a good euro that takes 60-90 minutes, can be played with two players, and has the depth and complexity and style of games like those. So something more than Carcassonne/TTR/Dominion, but not as heavy as Agricola. What might be a good medium-weight euro that fits these requirements? We're not looking for something totally different (i.e. no co-op or war or abstracts or tile-laying), but just a good solid game that plays well with two and takes at least an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Kingsburg or Livingstone. Maybe Cuba, though that might flirt with the upper edge of your heaviness requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings
Vasco da Gama
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Dominion
Pandemic
San Juan
Thurn & Taxis
Tikal
Race for the Galaxy
Alhambra
Yspahan
Thebes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: Factory Manager - Plays great two player, and the play time is within your requirements. I feel this is a perfect choice!

Caylus - It is on the heavier side, and a bit longer then your looking for, but this is a fun two player game. At least check it out.

Samurai - Great two player game, that scales well. It is fast too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings!

I also agree that you should check out Cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutledge
United States
Springfield
PA
flag msg tools
Thurn and Taxis would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions so far. San Juan and Vikings (have played both) are almost a bit too light for what we're looking for currently. Any more ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Evangelista
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis
Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals/Traders and Builders
Tikal
Torres
Vikings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions so far. San Juan and Vikings (have played both) are almost a bit too light for what we're looking for currently. Any more ideas?

How about:
Goa
Louis XIV
Shipyard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
maxmaven wrote:
So something more than Carcassonne/TTR/Dominion, but not as heavy as Agricola.

Why do you say that ?

Have you played it ?

I would say that 2p Agricola is not much heavier than any of the other games you mention, and will take you about an hour ... First games will be a little longer.

If you love those other three, I think you'll really enjoy it.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starships of Catan is a great two player market game disguised as an adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
maxmaven wrote:
So something more than Carcassonne/TTR/Dominion, but not as heavy as Agricola.

Why do you say that ? Have you played it ? I would say that 2p Agricola is not much heavier than any of the other games you mention, and will take you about an hour ... First games will be a little longer. If you love those other three, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Played it with some friends. Good game, but caused some brain melt. So we're looking for something not quite as intense a gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primordial Soup would be a great geme totally different.
The weight would fit, even the luck in the geme is not to little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre, Small World and 1960: The Making of the President aren't similar in style to the games you mentioned, but they're my favorite medium-weight games for 60-90 min 2-player, and they're popular with the ladies. Small World might appeal because the race/power draft might remind you of Saint Petersburg. And it's a lot deeper than how it first appears.

Arkadia is, like the 3 you mentioned, another euro that plays well with 2, and the ladies ADORE this game (I think it's the puzzle aspect).

In the Year of the Dragon is very reminiscent of Stone Age and Notre Dame, and 2er is interesting for a while (but ultimately not as good as with more players).

The Pillars of the Earth (but only with the expansion set if you want to play 2er). This is a little risky because the cost is high, and Stone Age players either love or hate Pillars -- there's no middle ground. People who hate it complain that Stone Age does the same things more elegantly etc, whereas those who love it appreciate it as a different take on the same genre of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia is a great recommendation. Louis XIV is also a good game for two. Some games I haven't played, but seem to fit with your requirements are:

A Castle for All Seasons
Diamonds Club
Vasco da Gama
Macao (just released)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kingsburg - Currently one of the wife's top three favorites. Her other 2 favorites? Stone Age and Notre Dame.
I wouldn't ever turn down a play for any of those three games either.
The only issue is we felt it needed the To Forge a Realm expansion.
This up'd the long term playability tremedously.

In the Year of the Dragon - I haven't played, but from what I have read, is very similar to Notre Dame. Some people consider it better. Check out some of the reviews and pics for it. See if it is something you would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lukac
United States
McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Lost Cities (either the two player card game, or the board game) seem to be what you are looking for. Certainly Thurn & Taxis would be in those lines. Absolutely recommend Kingsburg also. Perhaps Zooloretto or Aquaretto may also work for you.

Note that St. Pete, Stone Age and Notre Dame are two of my favorites also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mutilatedlips wrote:

In the Year of the Dragon - I haven't played, but from what I have read, is very similar to Notre Dame. Some people consider it better. Check out some of the reviews and pics for it. See if it is something you would enjoy.

Notre Dame is one of my favorite games, and I do not think it is at all like In the Year of the Dragon. In the Year of the Dragon is mean to the players, and while it was made by the same designer, I don't think it would fit what you are looking for at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
World in Flames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cross
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I thoroughly enjoy Pandemic and 1960: The Making of the President. We just purchased Twilight Struggle, but have yet to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
revengeisnotjustice wrote:
mutilatedlips wrote:

Notre Dame is one of my favorite games, and I do not think it is at all like In the Year of the Dragon. In the Year of the Dragon is mean to the players, and while it was made by the same designer, I don't think it would fit what you are looking for at all.

Similarities between games go beyond "mean". In the Year of the Dragon is the mean version of Notre Dame, which is glorified multiplayer solitaire (though less so with 2 players).

Similarities:
- Draft a somewhat random special-power action every round, though IYD's system limits the action to others after somebody picks it (this is where the "mean-ness" comes from)
- Playing stuff into your playing area that give you advantages in certain areas
- Managing several resources at once and balancing trade-offs between them for maximum VP gain.

You'll very probably like IYD if you like ND. 2er ND is already pretty cutthroat, so don't worry too much about it in IYD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very promising suggestions. These three particularly sound like good possibilities, I'd welcome more comments on their suitability:
Arkadia
In the Year of the Dragon (not too nasty?)
Vasco da Gama

Cuba is perhaps too heavy and long and less than ideal with two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.