Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Horus Heresy (2010)» Forums » News

Subject: PREVIEW: Put Your Best Foot Forward rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Abrahamson
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight has leaked a bit more about the game:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1100

"A first look at initiative and activation system of Horus Heresy"

Just another morsel thrown from the master's table to the ravenous dogs who are starved for more content(and a release date, please!).
angry



Roninsfx
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The following is my comments for the new preview in the FFG site...



To be honest, I was not very surprised with the initiative mechanism. I was surprised when I saw it in "THEBES". Also surprised when I saw it in "TINNERS TRAIL" , and then in "Red November". It seems that it is becoming quite common and I was expecting sth different. It is not such an innovation after all!

The positive in this preview at least is that the initiative track has also events and a "change of round" thus unblocking your units from the "activated areas"

"Activated areas"... I think I ve seen this quite a few times as well :(

Anyway this is still in my wishlist
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ektorakos wrote:
The following is my comments for the new preview in the FFG site...



To be honest, I was not very surprised with the initiative mechanism. I was surprised when I saw it in "THEBES". Also surprised when I saw it in "TINNERS TRAIL" , and then in "Red November". It seems that it is becoming quite common and I was expecting sth different. It is not such an innovation after all!

The positive in this preview at least is that the initiative track has also events and a "change of round" thus unblocking your units from the "activated areas"

"Activated areas"... I think I ve seen this quite a few times as well :(

Anyway this is still in my wishlist

If a mechanic works for a game (And the game itself is good), I don't care how old it is, you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time. ;)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it finally happened. I am now interested in the game.

Crap. Another big box game to figure out where to store...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

If a mechanic works for a game (And the game itself is good), I don't care how old it is, you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time. ;)


Well I dont know yet if the game is good as I have not tried it. I have not even read the rulebook. Have you tried the game??

Also the Activated Areas!? (Runewars, Twilight Imperium)
Ok I agree if it works it works but is surely lacks the innovation I was hoping for when I was reading the first previews.

older preview wrote:

Not only does Initiative have a huge impact on the choices you will make as you command forth your forces, but it does so in an exciting and uniquely challenging way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think the tokens you place on the activated areas are removed as the players move their tokens on the initiative track which mean you can plan your Orders (place on the strategic map) as to how long you think it will take for you or your opponent to reach that step, not at a fixed time every round as in TI.

This would be more challenging since you don't know exactly how long (how many orders are placed) before your strategically placed orders are executed. This would quallify a a uniquely challenging way I think.

Also the fact that those orders don't activate Regions would allow you to set up super combos of orders if your planning works. Imagine the sheer satisfaction in this (compared to the static function of area activation in TI).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ektorakos wrote:

Also the Activated Areas!? (Runewars, Twilight Imperium)
Ok I agree if it works it works but is surely lacks the innovation I was hoping for when I was reading the first previews.



Well I dont know yet if the mechanics are innovative as I have not tried it. I have not even read the rulebook. Have you tried the game??

Seriously, what's the obsession with "innovation"? Board game mechanics have been pretty well explored.

"Sigh. This game uses dice to resolve combat. No innovation".

"Sigh. This game uses cards to resolve combat. No innovation".

"Sigh. This game uses a chart to resolve combat. No innovation".

"This game uses a hot-dog eating contest to resolve combat. It's FRESH!"

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:
ektorakos wrote:

Also the Activated Areas!? (Runewars, Twilight Imperium)
Ok I agree if it works it works but is surely lacks the innovation I was hoping for when I was reading the first previews.




"This game uses a hot-dog eating contest to resolve combat. It's FRESH!"



I am now pondering which hot dog manufacturer goes with Nurgle...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnus2112 wrote:
I am now pondering which hot dog manufacturer goes with Nurgle...


ALL hot dog manufacturers have been given the blessings of Nurgle!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Kalfin
Greece
N.Makri / Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:

Seriously, what's the obsession with "innovation"? Board game mechanics have been pretty well explored.


Its not an obsession. Its simply a hope for progress!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott keenan
Scotland
Glasgow
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it just me or is this game looking better and better with each preview?

hmm now let me think, that means my games to get list extends to about £250 worth of gaming goodness and my storage space ever diminishes.

Can anyone recommend a support group that addicts can join?

Scotty
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scottyk wrote:

Can anyone recommend a support group that addicts can join?

Scotty


BGG is a support group for addicts. The only problem is that it supports the addiction itself, not getting rid of it
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:

"This game uses a hot-dog eating contest to resolve combat. It's FRESH!"


Yum!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
ektorakos wrote:

To be honest, I was not very surprised with the initiative mechanism. I was surprised when I saw it in "THEBES". Also surprised when I saw it in "TINNERS TRAIL" , and then in "Red November". It seems that it is becoming quite common and I was expecting sth different. It is not such an innovation after all!

If a mechanic works for a game (And the game itself is good), I don't care how old it is, you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time. ;)


You don't need to reinvent the wheel, but you shouldn't say 'innovative' if it's not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.