Onward, Christian Soldiers» Forums » General

Subject: An Admittedly Odd Inquiry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I might take, and I might even deserve, a bit of ribbing for this question, but I'm going to pose it anyways. This whole website is something of a forum for people's idiosyncrasies, so I would hope that people who can't happen to provide useful feedback to pass over my post in peace, as I would another's. OK, with that out of the way, my question:

This looks like a fantastic game, so I'm not really looking for an assessment of it qua game. But I'm curious if there are any Catholics, particularly traditionally minded Catholics, out there who have played this game and might comment on its content from that perspective. I don't really know what on earth could be wrong with it, but I would hate to invest in a game only to find that it has unbearably silly things about the faith in it (see, e.g., my review of Vatican). Thanks in advance. (And if this ought to go in the "politics and religion" thread instead, please just let me know and I'll be happy to move it.)

Edit: punctuation & formatting fixes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with the events on the cards, but from several readings of the rules it seems like the religious aspect takes a back seat to the political and military aspects. Have you looked into Here I Stand? The religious conflict is portrayed very well and (as far I as I can tell) without prejudice.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
Have you looked into Here I Stand?

You'd think that would be a natural for someone with user name "Andrea_Doria".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Quote:
You'd think that would be a natural for someone with user name "Andrea_Doria".

I think maybe a game entitled "Here I Row" would be a bit more apt, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy and I was raised in the Catholic church (but I am non practicing). I have not played it yet but I have skimmed the rules, notes, etc. There is nothing even remotely religious about the game let alone anything that pokes fun at Catholics. There is a section in the designer notes that discusses the title and some of the previous debate about it on Consim and BGG.

I can't see any reason to steer clear of this game other than it may not be your cup of tea as a game.

If you still have concerns I'd jump over to the GMT page on Consim and see if the designer or other players come up on the net to address them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I figured that this would be the case, that the game doesn't really have squat to do with religion per se. I actually think the game looks really interesting, so I would like to pick up a copy in the near future (there's a copy in a shop downtown as well as some here in the marketplace).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Onward is most certainly NOT a game about religion - aside from the fact that the First Crusade was given (and to some degree had) a religious basis. But it's a game about war, and about how medieval armies (we think) fought that war. One side is called Muslims, but that's because it's nearly all they had in common. But the other side isn't even called Christians - instead, Crusaders.

Even cards such as "Visions" and "Jihad", which might have been construed as religious, have nothing religious about them except the title. There's also a counter called the "Holy Cross", but it's simply a marker that provides extra victory points for the Crusader (because finding it was an historical goal).

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, OCS (which I own but have yet to play,) is not a game about religion; the details of the religions involved, much less the doctrines, are not treated in the game at all. It's strictly a political/military simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.