Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all-

I picked this up last week and played the first two quests, twice for the first and once for the second.

It was immediately apparent that the difficulty of these solo missions is of the charts compared to the first few missions in the main game.

One very obvious problem is the Yeti. If he hits the solo barbarian, it's game over due to his bear hug ability.

Also, the barbarian got chopped down three times before getting close to finishing the quest.

Although it doesn't say it anywhere, it looks like the solo quests are designed for characters with existing equipment. Would you agree?

In my opinion, the Yeti rule should not apply to a solo mission, and the barbarian needs at least a shield and a healing potion going in to the first two missions in order to have a shot.

What are your thoughts? And are the rest of the Barbarian missions as hard? How would you compare the difficulty of the Elf missions?

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You're definitely supposed to have played through the base game (as well as Kellers Keep and Return of the Witchlord and possibly even elf quest pack) before you tackle Barbarian Quest Pack!
As for the Yeti's, get a crossbow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what's hilarious is the expansion itself says the solo quests can be played as a way to introduce new players to the game. Uh, okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
They belong to the USA version of HeroQuest and are... not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elf and Barbarian quests are not good, they are beyond good! Barbarian was definitely the most difficult. I would always play the base game 14 missions first. Kellar's Keep came next since the end of the base game text made it seem like Kellar's Keep was the more pressing issue. Then Return of the Witch Lord since you can imagine him nursing back to health while the heroes were at the keep. Then the Elf Quest came next, simply because it was easier than the Barbarian Quest, which came last.

The Barbarian and Elf quests each came with an item that gave their respective hero an increase by 2 body points and 1 mind point. Just so the Dwarf and Wizard wouldn't feel left out, I made one for them also. The stone belt was for the Dwarf and could be found in Kellar's Keep (I used a belt since he wouldn't need a tool belt). And the rune headband could be found in Return of the Witch Lord for the Wizard (which worked because he couldn't wear a helmet). I believe I used a chest that was either empty, or had been forgotten to give a description to place these treasures in.

Ahh, the memories...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mb
The 2 US expansions "elf quest pack" & "barbarian quest pack" had never been tested at all & that's why the quests are impossible , full of bugs.
But it already happened before in Europe with the third expansion "against the ogre horde" & the fourth "the morcar's sorcers" & also with the new edition box megaquest released in 1994 !!
(that includes 12 henchmen)

MB had to deal with the new figurines they got from Games Workshop and additional content and someone just put the stickers on the map without logic, sense and testing that... no customer satifaction service in those time... !
Only the 2 first where tested and playable since GW was still on the project. (after it was just a exploitation of the licence)

So the packs are interesting for the minis & new tokens & rooms but everything must be reworked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.