Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to publicly express my gratitude to Michael Mindes and Tasty Minstrel Games. They've provided some of the best customer service that I've ever experienced.

I purchased a copy of Homesteaders from my FLGS the weekend before last. After a day of drying, punching, and trimming all the components, I discovered that my copy had been incorrectly collated; I had too many of some tiles but not enough of others.

Exhausted from work, and frustrated with the setback, I sent an overly-long, overly-detailed, and largely rambling e-mail to Michael complaining of the issues I had. He responded the next morning with a short, sincere apology and an offer ship me an entirely new game. I gave him my address, and he shipped it the next day.

The new game came Monday, as promised. I didn't get a chance to open and punch the replacement game until today, but it was in much better condition than my original copy (choosing the best of the duplicate cardboard components, I took approximately 80% from the new box).

Although I still haven't haven't had an opportunity to play the game, I couldn't in good conscience go to bed tonight without expressing my heartfelt gratitude to Tasty Minstrel Games, and to Michael personally. I likely now have one of the nicest copies of Homesteaders around, and it's all because he went above-and-beyond in addressing my concerns.

Michael, consider me a satisfied and loyal Tasty Minstrel customer from here out. I hope that you are able to resolve the production issues that you have had so far (and to recover something from the production company to offset the costs of replacements like mine). In the meantime, I am happy to buy with confidence knowing that you stand behind their product when problems do arise.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's just fantastic.

Meanwhile, some of us who preordered it months ago are still waiting for tiles to replace the miscut, off-center ones we got.

A HUGE "Thank You" to Tasty Minstrel Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very similar experience with Homesteaders and dealing with Michael. Excellent return time for my email and superior, generous customer service.

I second your "Thank You" to Tasty Minstrel Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe you need to send an overlong, rambling 'disgruntled' email.

I'm not sure if it's Michael or his fulfillment company that is the cause for the patchy delivery of games.

Overseas orders have been promised shipment and so far, only one person has reported receiving the game. We are still waiting!

I'm sure Michael's next blog post can be about the perils of taking overseas preorders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:

Meanwhile, some of us who preordered it months ago are still waiting for tiles to replace the miscut, off-center ones we got.
Well "buhu", some of us who preordered months ago haven't even gotten the game yet :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
hatemachine wrote:

Well "buhu", some of us who preordered months ago haven't even gotten the game yet

Yup, that sucks too. I hope for your sake that you don't end up with a box of crap like I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either someone got tired of my whining, or the Euro pre-orders are all shipping now. At least I got an e-mail from Fedex 8 minutes ago stating a package is estimated 11 days away. So, time will show! I'm afraid they haven't been opened since production though, so I might just get a box of cardboard soup for all I know ^_^ Still, fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Mindes sent me some replacement coins that were torn when punching. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
Michael Mindes sent me some replacement coins that were torn when punching. thumbsup

So you tear your pieces and get replacements. I get a box of junk and I can't get replacements. Maybe I should tear my stuff and see what happens.

What a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
eknauer wrote:

So you tear your pieces and get replacements. I get a box of junk and I can't get replacements. Maybe I should tear my stuff and see what happens.

What a joke.

Nathan,
I'm sorry you feel you didn't receive good service from Tasty Minstrel - I was under the impression that we had sent you replacement parts.

I am certain Michael will see your posts as well, but I'll contact him in person to make sure he does - we'll see if we can't get you taken care of.

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
eknauer wrote:

What a joke.

Nathan,
I'm sorry you feel you didn't receive good service from Tasty Minstrel - I was under the impression that we had sent you replacement parts.

I am certain Michael will see your posts as well, but I'll contact him in person to make sure he does - we'll see if we can't get you taken care of.

- Seth

Thanks Seth. You did send me the Terra Prime replacements right away and for that, I thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
eknauer wrote:

What a joke.

Nathan,

- Seth

Thanks Seth. You did send me the Terra Prime replacements right away and for that, I thank you.

If you are missing Homesteaders replacement parts, that is probably my fault, not Micheal's. I did not have suitable replacement parts for your issues when I was sending out that first batch of replacements. Since then I have handed those reigns over to Michael, and I believe since I'd sent you a package you were taken care of and I may not have informed Michael that you were still waiting on Homesteaders stuff. It's also possible that I misconstrued a "I want this replaced" comment with an "it's annoying but I can live with it" comment in your email on top of that.

I apologize for the mixup in this case - please don't hold that against Michael, as I know he's making every effort to satisfy our customers. If you're going to fault Michael for something, it's going to have to be his taste in Hawaiian shirts!

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh bother. It seems that my post has triggered more ill will than goodwill. I'm now a bit embarrassed for having posted it (although if it results in Nate getting his replacement order, perhaps some good came of it).

I was merely hoping to publicly acknowledge unusually good service, and perhaps to reassure potential customers who, like I was, are nervous to purchase a game with known component issues. In the future, I'll leave the public relations to the experts and express my gratitude privately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
In the future, I'll leave the public relations to the experts and express my gratitude privately.

Absolutely not. Public gratitude is great. It reminded me that I was still waiting for my replacements. I was just amazed that someone who just bought the game already received replacement pieces.

No matter how much complaining I'm doing, I'm still a fan of the Tasty Minstrel crew. I will support their next efforts as well...when is then next preorder scheduled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
chally wrote:
In the future, I'll leave the public relations to the experts and express my gratitude privately.

Absolutely not. Public gratitude is great. It reminded me that I was still waiting for my replacements. I was just amazed that someone who just bought the game already received replacement pieces.

No matter how much complaining I'm doing, I'm still a fan of the Tasty Minstrel crew. I will support their next efforts as well...when is then next preorder scheduled?

You'll be happy to learn then that for the next games we are using a different manufacturer - I believe it is going to be Panda, who manufactures a number of Z-Man's games. I look forward to their doing a really good job with our upcoming titles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nono, your post is absolutely appreciated. People have no problems complaining when stuff is wrong, but far too seldom raise their voices (or post a comment in this case) when people deserve praise.

And I'm with hatemachine on this one; I know that most likely my game will be rubbish when it arrives, but I also know how superbly TMG has handled this, going way beyond what one can expect, and thus I have no problems supporting them further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
chally wrote:

You'll be happy to learn then that for the next games we are using a different manufacturer - I believe it is going to be Panda, who manufactures a number of Z-Man's games. I look forward to their doing a really good job with our upcoming titles!

Will they do a second edition of Terra Prime and Homsteaders as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
chally wrote:

Will they do a second edition of Terra Prime and Homsteaders as well?

I do not know the answer to that. That's Micheal's department. I think it depends on how sales go this month and maybe next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I think you'll be pleased with Panda. They are quickly gaining a great reputation for quality - just check out Arabian Nights and Pandemic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Well, maybe you need to send an overlong, rambling 'disgruntled' email.

I'm not sure if it's Michael or his fulfillment company that is the cause for the patchy delivery of games.

Overseas orders have been promised shipment and so far, only one person has reported receiving the game. We are still waiting!

I'm sure Michael's next blog post can be about the perils of taking overseas preorders...

Yes, Shawn it most certainly can be. After significant Headache, Bellyache, and general aches that ailed me these are all out, and I have tracking numbers for them. I am also glad to see that FedEx automatically sent tracking numbers out.

There have been many bumps and mishaps for sure.

sedjtroll wrote:
I apologize for the mixup in this case - please don't hold that against Michael, as I know he's making every effort to satisfy our customers. If you're going to fault Michael for something, it's going to have to be his taste in Hawaiian shirts!

- Seth

Ouch! I happen to be wearing an EXTREMELY bright red Hawaiian shirt right now. Bought in Hawaii down an alleyway for $5. One of my favorites!

hatemachine wrote:
It reminded me that I was still waiting for my replacements. I was just amazed that someone who just bought the game already received replacement pieces.

I am glad to hear that. They will be coming up soon enough. You won't be able to miss it. (I hope). Plus, a side note, I am handling these as they come in on the fly. I was under the impression that you already received your replacements

Gawain wrote:
Nono, your post is absolutely appreciated. People have no problems complaining when stuff is wrong, but far too seldom raise their voices (or post a comment in this case) when people deserve praise.

And I'm with hatemachine on this one; I know that most likely my game will be rubbish when it arrives, but I also know how superbly TMG has handled this, going way beyond what one can expect, and thus I have no problems supporting them further.

Actually most of the games are of more than sufficient quality. It happens to sometimes work out that the bad quality copies give people incentive to speak up. And it should. Trust me, I imagine I am more frustrated with the situation than most people. Probably anybody. Also please try to bear in mind I am doing this after a 40-60 hour week with my regular job, pregnant wife, 2 year old and 4 year old.

I do appreciate the patience, and I want to be doing this ALL right so that someday I might be able to follow the passion of publishing games...

Michael

P.S. As a result I am not on Board Game Geek very much. The best place to reach me is email michael@tastyminstrelgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

Ouch! I happen to be wearing an EXTREMELY bright red Hawaiian shirt right now. Bought in Hawaii down an alleyway for $5. One of my favorites!

laugh thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Homesteaders and it was shipped with a live rattlesnake inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

Yeah they sent that copy to you specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Yeah they sent that copy to you specifically.

Oh good, I hate being shortchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

I didn't send it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.