Justin Bost
United States
Kintnersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game and I have a couple of questions...

1. Power plants that require no resources (wind mills, etc.) hold no resources, and nothing doubled is still nothing, so if a wind plant powers 2 cities by spending nothing, it can only ever power 2 cities, correct? I know this is strangely worded...

2. The areas that players chose at the beginning of the game... Do these areas outline the playing area? Because we chose areas and then placed our first cities in these areas, and then had built outside of them by the end of the game. Is this legal, or must we stay within the areas we chose?

Thanks in advance for all responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Questions after first game.
1. Yes the power plants that are "green" (windmill) can only power the number of cities listed on the card. All other plants require the resource(s) to fire up and power your cities. I believe you can only fire up a plant once per turn. So storing extra resources is only done to raise the price on the next guy.

2. You choose which areas you want to play in before the game begins. You don't have to start in the area you choose. You just have to start in one of the areas you're playing that night. You can then expand out from there into any other area you decided to play in but you can't cut through none playing areas. So if you don't pick blue as a playing area then you can never build in blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
DraperyFalls wrote:
1. Power plants that require no resources (wind mills, etc.) hold no resources, and nothing doubled is still nothing, so if a wind plant powers 2 cities by spending nothing, it can only ever power 2 cities, correct? I know this is strangely worded...
You never double the output of ANY plant. A coal plant that burns 2 coal lumps to power 3 cities will *ONLY* power at most 3 cities per turn. You can have 4 lumps of coal stored at once, but only two of those can be burned in a single turn. Wind farms store nothing, so yes, doubled nothing and they still store at most nothing and burn at most nothing in a given turn.

Quote:
2. The areas that players chose at the beginning of the game... Do these areas outline the playing area? Because we chose areas and then placed our first cities in these areas, and then had built outside of them by the end of the game. Is this legal, or must we stay within the areas we chose?
The areas you choose are not your areas. You can place a city in any area you want. The choosing is only to pick which parts of the map will be available during the game - not to pick "your" areas.

I hope this helps! Your question #2 is a very common mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxatoys wrote:
1. I believe you can only fire up a plant once per turn. So storing extra resources is only done to raise the price on the next guy.

Yes, you can only fire any plant once per turn. But if you can get resources cheaply in one round - you can use your money towards building more plants the next round. It can be especially useful if the turn order will change and you buy later (and more expensively) because of the number of plants you build in this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bost
United States
Kintnersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh. Yes I was firing up the power plants twice per turn sometimes... I guess that explains why we got through the game so quickly. Step 3 never even occurred in our game.

Many thanks for these corrections!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. The next time you play Power Grid, it'll be your very first time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DraperyFalls wrote:

I have a supply of blank poker chips. We cover the cities in the areas that we haven't chosen with poker chips at the start of the game. This reminds people that they are not in play (otherwise people forget as the game goes on).

We use a different type of poker chip to those that we use for currency in the game so that people aren't tempted to pick them up for extra cash either

I hope that this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you read through Power Grid FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bost
United States
Kintnersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I recommend you read through Power Grid FAQ.

I actualy can't read. And I'll thank you very much not to mock me for it!

Ha ha, thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DraperyFalls wrote:
I actualy can't read. And I'll thank you very much not to mock me for it!

Ha ha, thanks for the link!

Let me say that you type very well for someone who cannot read.cool cool cool

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.