Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Croteau
United States
Sturbridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried looking but I either skimmed through the directors cut rules to quickly or just haven't seen anything. Does anyone have any rules they have tried for simultaneous playing or a rotating phase? I've played this game twice now, both times with 5 players, both times as a learning game *groan*. The biggest problem I have had with the game is the actions phase. It just takes too long for each player to use all of their time so the next player can go. In this case players become disinterested, pace around, and generally do not focus on the game.

I feel like a rotating phase would allow people to read their new twilight cards quickly rather than read them during their turn while everyone else waits. The only real difficulty here would be playing twilight cards against other players as each player would not have a full hand of cards to throw at each other player on the other players turn.

By rotating phase I mean each player uses their first time, then they all use their second time and so on until all time is used by all players. This would mean that some players turns last for more rounds than others, But that seems far less painful than waiting for a 20 minute turn to end. The down time between actions would allow each player to read the effects of new twilight cards that are acquired as well. I've seen a rotating phase kind of mechanic while playing Exalted: War for the Throne that worked rather nicely for decreasing down time between players. This is another game with rather long turns so this mechanic is extremely helpful. The usefulness of revolving phases is especially apparent after you have played the game wrong and done an Android like full turn sequence before moving to the next player.

Does this seem like it would unbalance the game? How else do you manage this down time issue? Has anyone tried a simultaneous play variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem like simultaneous turns would work since players need to keep track of dark cards to play on opponent's turns. My opinion is that you need to play with less players. I've played with three and four. The games with 3 were awesome and the game with 4 was terrible. I can't even imagine trying with five. I just think it is a function of the game that, while it plays with up to five players, it quickly bogs down and leaches the fun out after the three player mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Croteau
United States
Sturbridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I'm thinking of doing revolving phases. Each person does one thing, next persons turn and so on until all players have used all their time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The section in Director's Cut that you're looking for is entitled "Days & Time", page 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest solution is to learn the game with few players (2-3) and once everyone is comfortable with the game and rules, and turns go faster, then try a 5 player game

This is not a game that will work well many players unless all of them know how to play reasonably well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jensen
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I really like how you've handled Time in the Director's Cut. I don't have the game yet (it's on order), but once I get it I'll be using your variant right from the start. Can anyone think of anything wrong with using that Move/one Action use of Time? Seems like it would solve the "down-time problem" and keep everyone's head in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Jensen wrote:
Chris, I really like how you've handled Time in the Director's Cut. I don't have the game yet (it's on order), but once I get it I'll be using your variant right from the start. Can anyone think of anything wrong with using that Move/one Action use of Time? Seems like it would solve the "down-time problem" and keep everyone's head in the game.

I'm not sure how he handles it, because I've never felt the need to use any of those variants, but there's a lot of people that enjoy the game as published, so you might want to give it a chance and if you don't like it, then start changing it. It's a game that takes a few plays to understand well, and as I said, one that is best learned with fewer players. Downtime stops being a problem when everyone knows the game well, so it's really not that big of an issue.

Also, all players have to pay attention when it's not their turn, to see when they can get the chance to use dark cards, so it's not like you're sitting there doing nothing... And consider the fact that while the turn will come back to you quicker, you'll get to do much less stuff. I'd rather wait a bit more and complete all my actions in one go... but that's just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that this would also have the other problem of greatly increasing the number of light/dark cards played. Because you have a chance to 'refresh' your light/dark meter between actions. Rather than playing 2 or 3 small, or one huge dark card a turn, you could pull off 2 or 3 times that if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
I think that this would also have the other problem of greatly increasing the number of light/dark cards played. Because you have a chance to 'refresh' your light/dark meter between actions. Rather than playing 2 or 3 small, or one huge dark card a turn, you could pull off 2 or 3 times that if you wanted.

There's another variant in the document that deals with that.

Note that version 3.0 is now uploaded for the latest (and final) version of the variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.