Subject: Magic Realm - link is dead? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mr [+] [View All]
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I was browsing one of the PnP listings and saw Magic Realm on it. I attempted to go to the website through the web link however I encountered a page cannot be found. Does anyone have the files for this game? I would love to try my hand at this. Thank you.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22/magic-realm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can save some time and effort and learn how nearly broken it is by playing it online.

OK so some people take offence at my original assessment. Let me elaborate. I used to own the game. I lent it to a friend who lost it. For a while a was a bit bummed about that until I tried it online and realised I was as unlikely to ever get into it online as I ever was with the real game. Sure it had lots of detail and depth but it is SOOOOO clunky and slow. I'm sure people who made the huge investment of time to learn it know how to survive and prosper in the game but I realised very quickly that for me there is no point. I get far more enjoyment and reward from the limited amount of time I can devote to games playing a variety of games that are faster, easier to learn, more popular with other gamers and just more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pcktlnt wrote:
Magic Realm - link is dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Critical Mass wrote:
You can save some time and effort and learn how nearly broken it is by playing it online.

What a ridiculous statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:

I've never used Karim's redesign and the link does appear to be broken. I'd ask this question again in the MR forum or contact Karim directly.

Not sure what "nearly broken" means. Magic Realm is a creature of its time.....a huge, in places flawed dinosaur of a game with a rulebook that would choke a brontosaurus but it is also the most completely realised fantasy boardgame ever made and if you have the time and patience to learn it, you will be well rewarded. It is a seminal game that has influenced many better known titles (see if you can spot the influence on MtG and Settlers) and is an awesome gaming experience in its own right but one that requires patience and dedication to master.

The online game you are referring to is probably Realmspeak, a fine Java implementation that provides almost the full game with all its optional rules. The page is here
I have to say I've found online play with Realmspeak to be fiddly because of timezones and working out IP addresses but perhaps that's just my IT ineptitude. It's fantastic for solo play, though, a format where MR really shines.

There are a number of great resources for learning the game.

The first three are documents:

1. Magic Realm in Plain English, which is an easy to read version of the full rules (although the 3rd Ed. Rules are a necessary reference for advanced play)

2. The Least You Need To Know to Play Magic Realm a quick 8 page rule summary

3.Beginner's Strategy, an excellent strategy guide for the fighter characters in the game.

There are also a number of good video resources at Bookshelf Games. Lawrence has done a really useful series of video tutorials for the game.....although missing the more complicated sections for Hired Natives and Magic. More pertinent to this thread, though, there are a number of video examples in the left sidebar of full month play in Realmspeak for specific characters....not meaning to blow my own horn here (because I did a few of them) but they not only demonstrate individual character strategies but also basics of game play, how to use the Realmspeak interface and will let you see how the game flows when played to its potential and why it is still considered a masterpiece by its devotees.

A long response to this brief post but I always get a bee in my bonnet when I see the words "Magic Realm" and "broken" in the same sentence (even qualified by the word "almost"). Many of the accusations levelled at MR's complexity and learning curve are legitimate, but there is a gem at the end of the the time invested in learning it which will stay with you for a gaming lifetime, as it has for many other players.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick Google search for "Magic Realm redesign" yielded this:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/index.php?option=com...

The download link at the bottom of the page appears to be working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you Bewulf for finding the link. I tried google search but my keywords never showed that link you pasted.

@Critical Mass
I'm still willing to give the game a go around just because from what I have read, it seems like fun.

@Goshublue
Thanks, those links with rules will be useful after completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:

OK so some people take offence at my original assessment. Let me elaborate. I used to own the game. I lent it to a friend who lost it. For a while a was a bit bummed about that until I tried it online and realised I was as unlikely to ever get into it online as I ever was with the real game. Sure it had lots of detail and depth but it is SOOOOO clunky and slow. I'm sure people who made the huge investment of time to learn it know how to survive and prosper in the game but I realised very quickly that for me there is no point. I get far more enjoyment and reward from the limited amount of time I can devote to games playing a variety of games that are faster, easier to learn, more popular with other gamers and just more fun.

I'd never take personal offense about a game discussion but I am prepared to defend games I enjoy that cop unfair flak, and MR is one of those frequently in peoples' gunsights. You've just admitted that it doesn't suit your play tastes....."I don't like" and "broken" don't mean the same thing. The major love the game gets after all these years out of print would suggest it has quality for those willing to spend time on it. While that's not you, and fair cop, the OP is a player willing to invest time in a complete rebuild and therefore, I'd hazard a guess, also the sort of gamer who might have the time and patience to learn the game.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The link was fixed and reinstated, sorry for the inconvenience :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1931920#1931920
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.