Dominion» Forums » News

Subject: Dominion deck building application looking for feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Hedstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm working on a Dominion deck building application (http://www.dominiondeck.com) that allows users to create, comment and rate various game card combinations, and would love a bit of feedback on where it should go from here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
nice radom generator... i have heard of them for phonmes but ive not seen on before for dominion. may use it for my next set of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a sort by rating?

recommended # of players... ie it would be neat to see sets that are better w/ 2 or 6 etc

neat stuff, however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
wow! that's a really good idea , a website to see the best dominion decks and stuff. Good one, I hope this cathes on and becomes popular, as it seems to be a very useful tool for people who like "precreated" decks.
(Personally I play random most of the time, but I do like a precreated decks.)
Edit: When you go for Base Game attacks, it doesn't show militia, but it should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to build a deck builder and deck rating website, but hadn't gotten around to it.

good work, keep making it great for everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hedstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
david707 wrote:
Edit: When you go for Base Game attacks, it doesn't show militia, but it should.

Thanks, this card is now properly categorized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Silberman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like it has great potential. I was thinking just recently about what I would want in an Ultimate Random Dominion Game Generator. Things that you might consider adding (gradually; some of these would be more useful than others):

- Set different criteria for each Kingdom card. That is, be able to say, "I want these four cards to be random base set cards, and this one to be a random Seaside card that costs less than 5, and the rest to just be random" or somesuch.

- Filter cards by cost and by +coins, +buys, +actions, +cards

- Be able to "lock" specific cards in place when doing a random gen, exclude specific cards, etc.

- Save sets of random criteria for later.

etc. etc., on to arbitrarily large amounts of control over the randomness.

Me and my friends do a lot of random draws, and I'd have tons of fun if I had this kind of control.

As it is though, really cool-looking, and certainly already useful for sharing hand-crafted kingdom card spreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hedstrom
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
silby wrote:
This looks like it has great potential. I was thinking just recently about what I would want in an Ultimate Random Dominion Game Generator. Things that you might consider adding (gradually; some of these would be more useful than others):

- Set different criteria for each Kingdom card. That is, be able to say, "I want these four cards to be random base set cards, and this one to be a random Seaside card that costs less than 5, and the rest to just be random" or somesuch.

- Filter cards by cost and by +coins, +buys, +actions, +cards

- Be able to "lock" specific cards in place when doing a random gen, exclude specific cards, etc.

- Save sets of random criteria for later.

etc. etc., on to arbitrarily large amounts of control over the randomness.

Me and my friends do a lot of random draws, and I'd have tons of fun if I had this kind of control.

As it is though, really cool-looking, and certainly already useful for sharing hand-crafted kingdom card spreads.

These are some good ideas. The cards are stored in such a way that most of those will eventually be possible. I'm leaning towards first implementing the cost/+coins/actions/etc, as this is the most straight-forward. Another idea we had the other night would be to click on a card to randomly regenerate only that card (it was the Woodcutter repeatedly appearing that prompted this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Hellstén
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
One thing I have always wanted to be in a random deck generator is option to select the number of cards to be chosen from specific expansion. We usually select 3 cards from basic set, 3 from Intrigue and 4 from Seaside (because Seaside is so interesting and newest). This option would be really neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have your seaside cards listed twice so it's possible to have repeated cards in a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks pretty good, but I think that it could be made even better, The only obvious way to find out which sets a game needs is to look at the cards. I think that the base list should be organised by sets, and there should be an option to include or exclude various sets when looking at the other list options (e.g. I may want to look at the Top Ten using base set and Intrigue cards but not Seaside). It would make it a lot easier for people who don't have all the sets to find a good combination of cards to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice way to include most of the randomization options that most people are asking for is to allow the user to click on one of the 10 card "slots." A menu pops up with a checkbox for every card (and/or perhaps a text entry field to specify a "weight" for each card to make certain cards more likely to be chosen).

There can also be some buttons that automatically apply certain filters to the card list, i.e. pick cards from certain sets or cards of a certain cost, which will automatically check the appropriate cards in the list.
Another nice filter would be BSW cards since it only uses a few cards from Intrigue and Seaside.

With each card slot having it's own set of filters, people could easily come up with their own sets that mix and match cards from certain sets or certain costs, in specific quantities. Of course, there should be a way to copy one slots filter into another slot, so people who want to use the same filter in each slot can easily do so.

Great Hall can also appear twice. There are probably others like this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Illie
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan, you might consider posting this in the General forum, with the other dominion generator apps. I have a hunch that more people would see it there, versus here, in News.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.