Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to turn my "new" Entdecker into the "old" Entdecker, which I like much better.

The first thing I need is the ability to draw points from a bag at random. In the original game these are fruit, valued from 1 to 4, but as long as it matches the theme, I'm fine. Since it's an exploring theme, gold or gems works.

Criteria:

1. I'd like to avoid bits that merely "work". Yes, I could just use poker chips or tiles that I draw a number on, but that's not fun.

2. It can't be something which you could feel the difference of. So, if the "4" feels different than the "1" then it wouldn't work.

3. Nothing too crafty, or really, crafty at all. I've no crafty abilities.

4. Some easily locatable, and inexpensive game is a fine option. If I can buy some game for under $10 that has components I can rob, I will. Assuming they're good enough.

5. The components should be able to represent values from 1 - 4. It would be nice if there's some easily identifiable way, save looking at a rules sheet, what's valued what. For instance, if there were chits that were Gold, Silver, Bronze and, oh, stone, then that would work, because people can remember that order.

6. I realize my version of the game has these fruit tiles, but they're not valued properly. I don't like the idea of ignoring their face values and telling people that they are something else.

7. The award winning idea will have instructions as to how to *get* these components.

Thoughts I had:
* Some game that had chits which represented between 1 and 4 gold nuggets. Jambo does that, kinda, but 1 it's too expensive to buy and just take the gold, and secondly, I don't believe it has values 1 - 4.

* I could buy plastic gems, like the ones that come in Ubongo or Diamant. That'd work, but it would mean I'd have to come up with 4 different colors which somehow convey a value of 1, 2, 3 or 4.

* I could design cards and have them done via Arts Cow. Instead of drawing from a bag, shuffle and deal them out. This would work, and be okay I guess, but you just can't beat drawing things from a bag.

* Wooden cubes? If I could find them painted Gold, Silver, Bronze (hard to distinguish from Gold) and... what? Brown? Purple? What's below bronze?

Here is the breakdown of the points of the components:
5 components valued (1)
7 components valued (2)
5 components valued (3)
2 components valued (4)

(So, how this works in Entdecker is that at times you get to randomly draw items from a bag. In Entdecker, these are tiles with pictures of fruit, and have a number on them between 1 and 4.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don`t you just print the tokens from the old version and mount them on the new chits?

Old Entdecker:

New Entdecker:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Here is the breakdown of the points of the components:
5 components valued (1)
7 components valued (2)
5 components valued (3)
2 components valued (4)

19 x 10 mm wooden cubes for 0.08 euros / piece plus 4 Euros for shipping to the US makes a total of 5,52 Euros = 7.60 $ plus 4% paypal = 7.90 $

Available at Spielmaterial.de in the colours red, yellow, green, blue, white, black, orange, purple, pink, brown, grey.

I`d suggest to distribute the values like his:
1 = white
2 = yellow
3 = orange
4 = red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick the resource of your choosing from http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk.

I liked either Fish http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=511&name=10+fis... or Gold http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=517&name=10+gol...

Then just sharpie the value on to represent bigger, or smaller 'finds' of each resource.

Additional info re. shipping;

Quote:
If you are not in the UK or EU we may still deliver to you so please contact us for cost and time for delivery.

You can contact us at contact1@boardgameextras.co.uk

Estimated weight of all items, including packaging, is stored in our database so that we can automatically calculate how much the items will weigh and therefore how much to charge you for postage. So you may find that adding an extra item to your order will add only a little if anything to your P&P costs.

You're looking at about 4 dollars, plus the cost of shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
The easiest option to me would be Scrabble or Mahjong tiles, or even dominos.

But...

While pricey ($32 total), this is the route I would go, using roman numerals or whatever you prever.

http://www.dark-platypus.com/custom2s.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All excellent ideas! Thank you so very much, this is what makes BGG so awesome, the members really help out.

I found the fish here locally. http://www.boardgameratings.com/game/3771/

Fish do seem like a great idea, as far as the theme. Sharpee is one idea, I wonder if I could paint them? How would one go about painting fisheeples?

Pasting up is a fine solution, but I'm skeptical of my pasting skills! Plus, that means the game can't be played the old way.

Ooohh.. slobber slobber... those custom tokens are attractive! Plus, no work on my part!

Okay, everyone gets GG! But, I'm still going to award more GG to whoever's idea I pick. So keep those ideas coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Why don`t you just print the tokens from the old version and mount them on the new chits?

Old Entdecker:

So did I have the distribution wrong? Is there only 1 "four" and 6 "threes's"? I realize that pictures don't lie, but I saw something different elsewhere. Wondering if there were different versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
So did I have the distribution wrong? Is there only 1 "four" and 6 "threes's"? I realize that pictures don't lie, but I saw something different elsewhere. Wondering if there were different versions?

I found in a German comparison of the Entdecker games the following chart for the plant tokens:

20 tokens of values:
1 (5 x), 2 (7 x),
3 (6 x), 4 (2 x).

So you face the problems of only having 9 tokens from the new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want to play the old version anyway Dave? I need those high value tokens to keep beating you!!

Do I get gg for this reply?

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Why do you want to play the old version anyway Dave? I need those high value tokens to keep beating you!!

Do I get gg for this reply?

B

Hahaha... your days of winning due to the random-swing scoring of the new version are over! Once it's a "real" game you'll have no hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so at this point I'm kind of leaning toward the fish tokens. Designing my own chits to match the original game would have been my first choice, but require too much craftiness.

What do we think about indicating the different values of fish? Painting them different colors? Writing numbers on them? Roman numerals? One to four dots?

Is painting them an easy option? Would I have to sand them first or anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you go to Michaels or A.C. Moore crafts and take a look at the small wooden pieces they have. They usually have cubes, barrels, spheres, triangles, etc. In multiple sizes, and very inexpensive. You might even find a shape you like, that would distinguish your game from others. Then, just paint them however you want.

As a train model builder, I always use their wooden doll-house pieces like barrels and benches and crates to put in my 1:19 scale models. However, I have seen lots of other great things that would probably work for you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Michael's

That's another good idea. I had always thought that Michael's would have varying shapes I could use, but had concerns that those varying shapes would give away value. I'd missed the obvious, just fine one shape I like and paint them different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
More on painting can be found here; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4538220#4538220

I'd excluded this originally as it seemed a bit too craft-like, based on your original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, Michaels (and JoAnns and AC Moore) put out a coupon every week for 50% off one item. However, if you get a couple of these coupons together and purchase everything individually, it can really add up! They even take each other's coupons. So, whatever you might find there will automatically be 1/2 off if you remember to bring the coupon.

SCORE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another idea!! Glass squares!! These are 7/8 inches square!!

You can glue anything to them and they are magnified and look great!!
They also come in circles and ovals!!

Available on Etsy for $6.99 + $3.00 shipping.

You probably need to buy Diamond Glaze as well.

This would set you back as follows:

$6.99 for 20 glass squares
$5.50 for Diamond glaze
$2.00 Shipping
$13.99 TOTAL

These can be customized any way you like!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
print and stick on those preglued linoleum squares.

$0.33 at home depot gets you an 18" square. Just need to cut em out. Easy peezy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
print and stick on those preglued linoleum squares.

$0.33 at home depot gets you an 18" square. Just need to cut em out. Easy peezy.

So, are you saying that I get 18" square linoleum tiles usually used for bathrooms, but use the sticky side to put a printed sheet on, then cut them? Would that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all gave me such good ideas I thought I should record it in a better form, for others.

http://www.geekdo.com/geeklist/52040/item/1203708
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
You all gave me such good ideas I thought I should record it in a better form, for others.

http://www.geekdo.com/geeklist/52040/item/1203708

Please post what you finally end up doing with pics!!
kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I kind of feel like a slacker if I take this route, but I just asked Jay at Rio Grande if I could buy a set of these:

The coal is valued from 1 to 3, and the gold is valued from 3 to 5. There are 7 of each number, so I'm good there. Finding gold and coal fit the theme okay, and since they're the same shape you won't be able to tell the gold from the coal in a bag.

I considered Finca, since it's fruit as the game originally intended, but there is 6 threes instead of 7, which isn't a big deal, but I've a feeling they'd cost a lot more. I may check into those too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may also go for these. It's nice that they come in 5 colors, two of which are gold and silver. I could therefore make

gold - the 4-point chips
silver - the 3-point chips
ruby (red) - the 2-point chips
emerald (green) - the 1-point chips.

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=22...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.