Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Yet another race, and a couple of makeovers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Got a few new ideas for the Small World.
One original and two quick makeovers of previous races, that we have had a hard time playing with.
Lets begin with the new!

Sirens (6 + 11 hostage tokens)

Take one enchanted hostage token for each non-empty region you conquer. The hostages are placed in any of your regions and give that region a +1 defense bonus, in addition if a region with a hostage token in it gets conquered, no siren gets returned to tray, instead the hostage token is lost. Enchanted hostages need to be next to atleast one siren and are lost when the sirens go into decline.

*Vicious race, stay out of their way*

And then there's the makeovers of these two races.

Hydras (6)

When the enemy conquers one of your regions; before returning a token to the tray, roll the dice. Pick up the amount of hydra tokens as shown by the dice minus the token you should return to tray. These tokens will be re-deployed as usual. The number of hydras can't exceed 15.
Example: You roll 1, 1-1=0 you neither lose or gain a token.

*Monsterous race, aim for the head*

Centaurs (6)

You may cross empty regions during your conquest phase, in order to attack the regions beyond. In addition centaurs conquer empty regions for one less race token, a minimum of 1 token is still required.

*Powerfull and agile race, there is no way to run*

That's it for now, hopefully someone will enjoy them.

Please come with some feedback or ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steek wrote:

Hydras (6)

When the enemy conquers one of your regions; before returning a token to the tray, roll the dice. Pick up the amount of hydra tokens as shown by the dice minus the token you should return to tray. These tokens will be re-deployed as usual. The number of hydras can't exceed 15.
Example: You roll 1, 1-1=0 you neither lose or gain a token.

Which is how they work in the last version of the Community Compendium I. But in those rules they also get one token back in decline if you roll anything but a blank.

It is just described as: Put your killed token back in the tray, roll the die and get than many tokens back to redeploy.

Example: One hydra killed, put it back in tray. Roll a 1, and you get 1 token to re-deploy. Same result.

I've played against them, and they are horrible, especially when you roll as bad as I did. Killed two hydras in one turn, my opponent got 4 hydras to re-deployyuk

Lars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hehe,
sorry about the hydras then, thought the accepted version rolled the dice for extra defense. Making it to trolls, what berserker is for commando.

The problem with that version is that it makes for some awkward moments. for instance it's your last conquest of the turn and you want to attack some forest dwelling hydras. You need a re-inforcement dice result of 1 to conquer the region. But the hydra player rolls 3 on his defensive "re-inforcement" are you allowed to pick a different region for conquest or does that count as a failure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Fahrion
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your Sirens is very similar to my Hags. Though I like your use of hostages tokens as it simplifies matters (mine just uses the captured tokens which can confuse things).

The differences are that the Hags only kidnap In Decline tokens and can't move them. Also, the Hags are 5 instead of 6 but they have the advantage that they eat their kidnapped victims when they go into decline and gain VP for each one.

I like the Centaurs as it's different then the other version I read which just lamely treated them the same Mounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I remember the Hags now
I liked em a lot, must have been in the dark depths of my mind while creating the Sirens devil
Hopefully you won't mind.

Yeah, I agree that the Centaurs were a bit bland, and since the race fits in Small World so perfectly i wanted to make it more viable for use.
Hopefully the original creator won't mind about this either blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.