Battle Cry» Forums » General

Subject: Battle Cry Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the strategy forum is a little sparse with only 3 threads. I was wondering if anyone knew of any links to good strat guides for BC please.

I'm not too bothered about scenario specific strats, just good general gameplay advice, hints and tips, dos and donts. that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tip 1: roll well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What's tip 2? Draw the cards that you need?

But seriously I see you're a Mem44 and BL fan. Can you provide some general advice about the C&C system that might apply to all the games as I've only recently started playing and am not that familiar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some basic tips:

Using a card to pull back some reduced units to avoid giving your opponent a medal is not a lost move.

Play combos, don't just play a card to play a card (such as don't plan an assault on the left with only 1 assault left card and a ton of probe right types).

I find that not tying my generals down to one particular unit is helpful, I have 'em zipping all over the field, having them give that bit more of a punch to an attack at that right time. I find Generals to be particularly devastating when attached to cavalry.

Cavalry is good for taking out artillery and flanking maneuvers (as usual). Basic tactics are still pretty viable as a whole, but rolling well and drawing the right cards is pretty much a lot of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is the all out offensive card to watch out for, and if you have it plan for it to be effective. The whole game is card management just like Memoir 44 and Battlelore,. Be familiar with all the cards.

I usually try and dump my weaker section cards early in the game. Bad part of that is enemy can take some serious ground while I am setting up. Setting up units for combined fire is always good, and make sure to be in cover if you can.

This is a great game, and lots of fun, but most of the strategy is knowing the cards (what can happen) and getting the cards you want, and seeing what your opponent is doing and recognizing what he may be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very good advice.

I think the aspect that I fell foul of early on that I've learn't the hard way is making sure every unit has a retreat path. Otherwise you're turning those flag results into crossed swords.

Using up your 'weak' cards early on is good advice and something I try to do when you're not playing a scenario where both sides start in the thick of it.

But I think that also has to be weighed up against the advantages of playing an early assault card which can be very good for getting all your troops into good terrain, attaching generals, and getting units off the backline which can be a death trap if the enemy catches you on it.

I find it's a good way of suring up a sector making it difficult for the enemy to seriously hurt you and you tend to then get more out of the smaller skirmish / probes cards in that sector because you can choose the unit with an attached general in cover to utilise them on.

If you do it the other way around it can take forever using skirms and probes because moving a general to link up with an advancing unit costs 2 actions and by the time you 'unleash' the assault card mid/late game you may only have a couple of units left in that sector anyway.

Not saying either is the right way, just different ways of approaching it.

What are peoples views on targetting lone generals? I tend to find it a very ineffective strategy unless it's the nearest unit and not in cover or its retreat is blocked because hitting 1/6 is a big drop from 3/6 when comparing against inf.

Another tactic I'm not sure people use to the fullest is manouvering units (particularly cav) in behind enemy units when attacking to block retreat. You need to be careful as it can backfire because your flanking unit in doing so is also blocking one of it's own retreat hexes if the enemy unit is eliminated but if there's no danger of a 2nd enemy unit totally blocking then it's less risky. Can be very effective when used against an enemy unit tucked in against a map side edge when your side edge hex still has 2 retreat hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BC is the one I played the least and have the least amount of strategy. It is a much slower moving game as your infantry can only move or fire, not both. So things take a little longer to develop as opposed to the other games (this becomes more obvious if you are playing be email as opposed to the other games).

Luck does play a big role in these games as it does boil down to the card draws and the dice results. However, a good general will make the most of the cards he is dealt.

Overcommit your forces so you can be sure to kill your target. But position them so that if your first unit gets lucky and kills the target, subsequent units have a 2nd target.

But don't leave your forces hanging out there. Sometimes it is worth chasing down a weak unit but if you don't have any cards in reserve to bring your hunter back, he will die as well - and you just traded a unit for a unit.

Take advantage of the terrain. It will offer you a little bit of defense while you sit there and get in position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
It is a much slower moving game as your infantry can only move or fire, not both.

That's not quite true. They can both move and fire unless they end their movement in a particular type of terrain that disallows the battle action on that turn like Woods or Buildings. Hills and Fortifications don't have such limitations.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
Luck does play a big role in these games as it does boil down to the card draws and the dice results. However, a good general will make the most of the cards he is dealt.

Completely agree. Like any game that involves a random element you can at times find yourself lucky or unlucky but I think the key to good leadership is managing the risks and maximising the opportunties.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
Take advantage of the terrain. It will offer you a little bit of defense while you sit there and get in position.

Terrain is certainly important but I find the representation of woods a double edged sword. Conventional wisdom would suggest being in the cover of woods to be a good thing but the fact that it disallows fire on the turn you move can put you at a big disadvantage especially if the enemy is adjacent just on the other side of the woods hex. Getting the first shot opportunity at point blank range can often see you damaged and potentially pushed back out of the woods with a retreat result so I'm often at a quandry as to whether it's best to be in the woods or just behind waiting for the enemy to come to you.

For the other types of terrain the choice is much more obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
It is a much slower moving game as your infantry can only move or fire, not both.

Artillery can only move or fire, not both. Inantry can move and fire.

Edit: Yojimbo252 was faster on the draw and more complete in his response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
drabel wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Artillery can only move or fire, not both. Inantry can move and fire.

Edit: Yojimbo252 was faster on the draw and more complete in his response.

Sorry. Misremembered. It is move and and fire. Whereas in Memoir you can move one and fire OR move 2 and don't fire. This is what slows the game down - only being able to move the one space at a time even if you don't have targets to shoot at.

I think this might be something that is change in the upcoming reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been playing BC for long but I think this aspect works pretty well. I can see how a PBEM game would take much longer but Online play is very quick and part of this is because Inf can only move 1 hex (unless the Forced March card is played).

If it was change to operate like Memoir (essentially how horse arty works in BC) I think it might detract somewhat from the flavour of the period because regiments were formed up as essentially walls of men and therefore far less mobile and less fluid than what you'd expect from a WWII unit.

I think it might also water down the retreat result because being pushed back 1 hex is the same distance as a whole turn's movement and also detract from the main strength of the Cav units which in this period acted as essentially mounted Inf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The reason I say it might change is I believe it was a variant rule implemented by Borg after its release - which subsequently made it into most of the basic infantry movements in the rest of the series.

I don't know that he considered it as a specific mechanic to enhance the flavor of this one.

I also suspect that retreating units won't be eliminated if pushed off the board. I think the will just lose one figure for each hex not taken. And I am sure All-Out Offensive will be linked to command as well.

But it is tough to say what should be kept to keep BC unique and what was just a "dry run" of the series that has since been improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try gametableonline.com

Its a $5 game that is well worth being able to play against an AI to get some practice in, but dont get too good as no one will play you F2F :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Vaughn
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
Someone referred to an upcoming "reprint" of BC. Is this 'official'? Has this info been posted anywhere? If so, where???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RVaughnSr wrote:
Someone referred to an upcoming "reprint" of BC. Is this 'official'? Has this info been posted anywhere? If so, where???

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/350891/reprint-on-the-way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair points Brian.

Yes Charles I've signed up to GameTableOnline and have paid for BC (a bargain really).

Met some nice players there and I can thoroughly recommend the GTO online version. As much as I like the whole Vassal concept, having the dice rolls automated and rules enforced makes the game lightning fast and incredibly easy to play.

I'm still only new to the game but even I can complete a game in as little as 15 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a nice way to learn how the units move and shoot. If you ever feel like trying vassal its very similar with no rules enforcement or AI. It has a lot more scenarios set up.

Look for me at either place as charlescab

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do Charles. And likewise Yojimbo252 on GTO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.