Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I played TWCCG last night for the first time. We had a lot of fun, but something seemed to be a bit wrong with the rules in the box for the semi-finals and final/3rd place playoff.

The published rules state that these rounds should be played 'using the same format' as the quarter-finals, but with a draw deck of only 12 cards. We assumed this meant that we continued the round until the draw deck was empty and we'd all played out our hands, but this meant 24 cards needed to be played when there are only 4 slots per team. As a result, some people were forced to play cards they didn't really want to (e.g. a foul to cover a goal in the 4th slot for one of their own teams) because they had nowhere else to play, and some cards were completely unplayable. We then had the same issues in the final/playoff, which also seemed very luck-based, depending on the three cards you were dealt.

When I got home, I checked the sample game file, and discovered that the procedure described there is quite different! In the file it states "as soon as the last card is taken from the draw deck the round ends. The three cards remaining in the hand are used in the 3rd place/Final stage, just like the board game." This makes much more sense! Now only 12 cards get played between the 4 teams, so we wouldn't have had forced plays or unplayable cards. And the fact that you carry over cards to the final makes things a lot less random once you get there too. Additionally, the sample file says you can choose to discard a card in the knock-out stages, rather than playing it against a team. This isn't mentioned in the rules in the box.

I assume the correct rules are the ones in the sample file, as they seem far better. It's a shame the rules that come with the game are defective, especially as the link to the sample game printed in the rules is broken (missing a .html). But I'm definitely looking forward to another tournament played with the correct rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played as you did and also found unplayable cards. The sample file rules look much better. However, you shouldn't have to look there to discover the correct way to play. I understand the desire to squeeze the rules onto a single sheet but this shouldn't be at the expense of incomplete rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read that correct, at the beginning of semi-finals and final/3rd place playoff:

1. Shuffle all the cards
2. Deal 3 cards to each player
3. Reserve 12 cards for drawing deck
4. Put the unused cards (32-3x4-12=8 cards) aside for later attack/penalty drawing deck
5. Once the last card of 12-card drawing deck is drawn, the round ends
6. The discarded cards are shuffle with unused 8-card deck to build a attack/penalty drawing deck if needed
7. By this time, each player should still have 3 cards on hand for final/3rd place playoff
8. All the non-hand cards are now shuffled and again, reserve 12 cards for new drawing deck (?????)
9. The play continues.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's nearly right. But on step 6, you just use the 8 set-aside cards as the draw deck for attacks/penalties, reshuffling only if it runs out. However, if penalty shoot-outs are required, you reshuffle all the cards before resolving them (except the cards still in players' hands I guess!).

Hopefully Shaun will turn up and give us official rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I think that's nearly right. But on step 6, you just use the 8 set-aside cards as the draw deck for attacks/penalties, reshuffling only if it runs out. However, if penalty shoot-outs are required, you reshuffle all the cards before resolving them (except the cards still in players' hands I guess!).

Hopefully Shaun will turn up and give us official rulings.

From the sample file #3, page 4,

"The cards set aside are now shuffled in
with the single discarded card to
create the draw deck for resolving
Attacks and Penalties."

i.e. my Step6 description should be Ok if I understand it correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, you're right. I was thinking about the cards from already-resolved games, not the discards (which aren't mentioned in the rules in the box at all!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The sample game is correct. The rule should be that the Semi-Final matches end as soon as the last card is drawn.

Why I missed this when proof-reading the rules, I just don't know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Shaun! I think it would be a good idea to post an official correction in the files here and/or on your website. It would have definitely enhanced our enjoyment of the game, which felt a bit anti-climactic as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Williams
United Kingdom
DROITWICH SPA
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the missing sample game direct from Shaun's website:

http://www.gamesfortheworld.co.uk/Sample_game_Part_2.pdf

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.