Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner question about changing lanes when coming out of a corner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiere Weed
msg tools
Hi everybody I’m new at this game and I really love it. But there is a certain rule that confuses us a lot. When coming out of a corner the car may not change lanes, but must stay in the same lane. Could someone explain this rule, cause the arrows at the end of corners are confusing.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rule is you may not change lanes when overshooting a corner? If you've done the required number of stops, you're free to change lanes after exiting (or that at least was the rule in Formula Dé).
What this means is when you're on the last space in the corner, you follow the arrow(s) to whatever space you can (yes, this might include a lane change, but you're still in the corner). Then when you are out of the corner (no more spaces with arrows) you have to move straight ahead, which also means you may get blocked.
Once again, this is based on Formula Dé rules, and only when overshooting the corner (the stuff that costs you tire wear points)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a new player also and my kids and I have been really enjoying the basic game rules. We've played about 4 times now. Here's my input:

1. When on the straights, you can only shift once per turn from one side lane across to the other side. For example, you may go from far right lane to the far left lane by passing over the middle lane. But then that's it. You can't come back over. Once and done per turn.

2. If you start in the middle lane you may "pass" another car in front of you in the middle lane but only if there are open spaces to drive around that car. If it's blocked you must brake. And you may not start in the middle lane and just shift to an outside lane.

3. In the turns you are allowed to change lanes on a square-by-square basis by following the arrows.

4. I agree with the prior poster that when coming out of turns when OVERSHOOTING a turn, that you must stay in the lane in which you exited the turn. But if you start in a turn and have made all your stops, then you may shift lanes according to point #1 and 2.

Did I get it right? Is this how you interpret the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. And you're only allowed to change lanes more than #1 and #2 if you are blocked, e.g. by another car.

The easiest way to explain the rule on the straights though, is to just say that from where you are, to where you want to go, you have to take the shortest route possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahhhh...now the plot thickens!

So, if I start in the far left lane and roll a 15, am I allowed to shift over the open middle lane into the open far right lane AND still "pass" another car all in one turn? In other words, can I shift lanes and then pass someone also? I thought the answer was no.

In fact, I thought that you were not allowed to "pass" in the right or left lane...I thought you had to cross to the opposite side completely.

I understood that "passing" (starting and ending in the same lane) was only allowed if you started and ended in the middle lane.

I welcome correction if I've been mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Pielhau
Germany
Luedenscheid
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:

2. If you start in the middle lane you may "pass" another car in front of you in the middle lane but only if there are open spaces to drive around that car. If it's blocked you must brake. And you may not start in the middle lane and just shift to an outside lane.

If you start in the middle lane you are indeed allowed to shift to an outside or inside lane even if there is no car in front of you to overtake. You can always choose the lane you want, but you may not do zig-zagging on a straight. BUT: you are allowed to zig-zig if you want to overtake a car or avoid a space with a hazard in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it simple! Shortest route from A to B, that's all you need to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No fooling!? Well, now I know. Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.