Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Please thumb up this post to attract more gamers

goo

Another great turnout
It was great to see a lot of new games out there.
(I like the smell of unwrapped cellophane in the morning)

We had a round of Settlers of Catan - 5 player.
Ed was the City King and pounded us to a pulp.
I think the final was 10-7-5-5-4 (ouch!)

After that we had a 5 player / 4 new players game of Race for the Galaxy.
We stripped out a lot of the more complex cards but did use cards from all three sets.

I think anyone who taught RFTG will say, in a players first game it isn't a question of what you do, it's more a question of understanding what you have. So there was a fair amount of reference guide checking and heiroglyphics interpretation. By the end people were already building cards to mesh with other cards. They should all be deadly by the end of their third game.

I am really looking forward to hear how the new games played out.
If you played em, let us know.

See you again in two weeks!

goo
MrZoz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a very long Game of Thrones: The Card Game. Not to be confused with the board game of the same name. I'll repeate here what I had said to Dave elsewhere:

"That took entirely too long. Way longer than it should have. I think the problem was too many new players. I’ve had 2 player games with my bro be over in under an hour. I don’t think a 4p game should go any longer than 2 hours with experienced players. It’s too bad too because it put a bad impression on people as being too difficult or overly complex.

But look at it this way, how much longer would magic be with 4 players all being new? Just as long probably.. what’s trample do? When can I play an instant? Does my instant go before yours? So many questions and rules look ups really slowed the game down. That wouldn’t happen with more experienced players.

It’s a bit AP prone too I suppose. We need to try and not take so long trying to figure out every single card on the table before making a play. Approach it like you would a conflict in real life. You might know some abilities of your opponent, but you won’t know them all and you’ll end up being surprised and losing a challenge you’ve initiated. You’ll know better next round. That sort of thing.

We should have played to 8 or 10 power for a first game.

Ah well. Too bad . I really like the game because it has a tonne of depth."

Lachlin (House Stark) ended up wining in the final minutes of the night. Dave (House Baratheon) came in a close second, Kurt (House Targaryen), who appeared to be lagging until the table was wiped by a Stark Plot, came in 3rd and I (House Lannister), who was in a Strong position to come out the winner until the Stark plot, came in last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the game. There is a lot going on... plot selection, role(?) selection and determining order/when to attack/defend, etc. It's a lot to keep straight on your first play.

We did a lot if "rewinding" the turn because of forgotten abilities, etc. Which, is ok for learning but makes for a longer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rivoire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw crud, Gray and I forgot. We did play some games last night though with our group of friends. Some Neuroshima Hex and some Barbarossa. Never played either of 'em before, but both were pretty fun (Barbarossa especially.)

Also, they all seemed to be fairly preoccupied with a rather treacherous game of Facebook Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I so much wanted to like Game of Thrones - and came so close, that I'm willing to give it another chance to see if it can overcome my doubts. It should probably be sooner rather than later to try it again.

I drove home thinking of ways to make the four player game move at a faster pace, although based only on first game experience to think of making changes is probably a little too early.

The parts that I liked were some of the faster parts (plot selection, the oppose/support roles, generating money for card placement, the multiple card attacks and attack/defense choices. Where it gets a little too bogged down for me is in all the special text rules and interactions that are there mostly for colour. I don't know if this would throw out the balance completely but it would certainly make for a more streamlined game.

Flame me if you think I'm crazy. It may be that I just don't buy into the whole special cards/rules and didn't ever get into Magic in that way either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of the 5-player game of Settlers. It was fun, but I wasn't able to do much other than get the longest road (which I was on the verge of losing). No ore = no cities for me.

Then onto Race For the Galaxy. A bit a learning curve, there. Lots of cards, lots of fiddly symbols, even the "help" sheet was confusing. Being told it was similar to Peurto Rico / San Juan didn't help either, as I've never played those. I kinda figured out the mechanics by the end, but will need another game or two under my belt before I can decide if I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was a part of the 5 player Settlers game. It's been a while since I've played a 5 player game and I have only played it with 3 players 2-3 times in the last year or so. Still a fun game with lots of fond memories as my gateway game to adult gaming. That being said randomly placing the number disks clearly doesn't work and set up some real hot and cold areas of the gameboard. That and the fact that I couldn't get a settlement on a 9 which was roled at least once a round left me a little out. Still, despite the large element of chance (Okay, that's not a problem for me, I am after all the heroScape guy) I had a lot of fun even if I felt like I was hopelessly trailing for the last half of the game.
RftG was a new experience for me too and while I haven't played San Juan or Puerto Rico I found the gameplay a little more intuitive than I had been led to believe. Don't get me wrong, I was still fiddling with the symbols and by the time I figured out some semblence of set building and strategey the game was over (although one more turn and I'm convinced I could have pulled off a win!!!?). I am really looking forward to my third game of RftG though so I would really like to get the second game under my belt soon, possibly in two weeks.
Thanks guys for a couple of great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
I am really looking forward to my third game of RftG though so I would really like to get the second game under my belt soon, possibly in two weeks.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind giving it another whirl. I'll try to review the rules beforehand, so hopefully I won't be so clueless the second time around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:
Eirikr wrote:
I am really looking forward to my third game of RftG though so I would really like to get the second game under my belt soon, possibly in two weeks.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind giving it another whirl. I'll try to review the rules beforehand, so hopefully I won't be so clueless the second time around...

Try giving this computer version of RFTG a whirl.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/438698/race-for-the-gala...

It's free to download and great way to learn the game. The AI is no slouch either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.