Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped playing around Jade/Pearl edition. Basically I'm considering picking some new cards up.

1) Have they changed the card back or has it always been the same?
2) Is there a ban list or something? All my cards are quite old so they are not much use if there's something like a M:TG Type II thing going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, right at the end of jade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the "rings", they are the old style; if you have the "coins", they are the new style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
The change of backs was not by choice, the IOC threatened to bring suit because they apparently patented the concept of interlinked circles...

There are new formats, including the current Celestial format which is the driver of current story play. However there is also a Legacy format on rules.l5r.com where many of the changes in terminology and rules updates are brought together in somewhat perfect harmony, so you can play with anything you have. I think there's only like 10 or 20 cards that were deemed so heinous in Legacy play that they are not legal for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
They did change the cardbacks from interlinked rings to medallions showing each of the five elements. It's still possible to use the old cards alongside the new provided you use deckbackers or opaque card sleeves. Legacy play is certainly an option for you, or if you don't mind buying some new product, this is one of the more cost-effective games to get into, especially if you stick to one or two clans.

The current "arc" is Celestial Edition, which released in 2009 I believe, and the cardpool is still fairly small, including a few reprints of older cards, so you may still be able to use some of your stuff. It's easy to get what you need for a fairly competitive deck right now though, so I'd encourage you to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.