Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb

I found this link that I thought would be interesting for anyone unfamiliar with all the unit types in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6A#Common_Combinations

The unit types on the left, explanation, and examples of a type of unit are on the right
[geekurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6A#Common_Combinations]WIKI Common Nato Symbols[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this is where it would have been helpful to have played some of those old Avalon Hill wargames. Which I traded all away because the chits were too small for my eyes!surprise Oh... I never played any of them either.

Thanks for the link!!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
:) I know the feeling. I think this is the year I am upgrading to bifocals just to support my game habit. You ever get those manuals that say "Our instructions are only 2 pages" and its in a microscopic print! I hate that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily for me, I only use the reading glasses... "for now". One reason I like A House Divided as it has nice big print on the tokens.
I don't really have any problem reading the Columbia Games Blocks, but my wife does with some of them...

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up on SPI and AH games, so they are the norm for me. [Put on Get Off My Lawn Hat] these new counters with pictures of tanks on them seem like little kiddy stuff to me [Remove Get Off My Lawn Hat]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HAHA... funny! I have to be honest... I still wish I knew how to play the "old" AH and SPI games, but at this point in time, I probably won't bother now.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
HAHA... funny! I have to be honest... I still wish I knew how to play the "old" AH and SPI games, but at this point in time, I probably won't bother now.

You're missiing out on a great gaming experience. Still, I'll admit that as much as I love them, I don't play them often anymore myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
HAHA... funny!:D I have to be honest... I still wish I knew how to play the "old" AH and SPI games, but at this point in time, I probably won't bother now.

Jim

Try 1776.. its a good easy wargamer. If you know how to use vassal I have a lot of games I am writing tutorials on to show people how some games play/work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
Will play any game... especially for wine or espresso.
badge
An Australian in Africa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I grew up on SPI and AH games, so they are the norm for me. [Put on Get Off My Lawn Hat] these new counters with pictures of tanks on them seem like little kiddy stuff to me [Remove Get Off My Lawn Hat]

I grew up on them too, but Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 (AH) came out in 1975 with Nato symbols for infantry & pictures for armour. Admittedly its a different scale to the norm, but I've found 35 years enough to get used to the idea.
In fact by the time Bitter Woods (AH) came out 12 years ago I was pretty comfortable with using whatever you like at any scale.

(The former being one of my first two wargames. The latter still a favourite of the old style.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

You're missing out on a great gaming experience. Still, I'll admit that as much as I love them, I don't play them often anymore myself.

Well, I did buy Panzerblitz HOD last year when it came out, because it had the nicer looking unit markers and also looked like it would play like the old AH games. However, the rules confused me so much, I traded it away after owning it for a few weeks.

charlescab wrote:
JimM wrote:

Jim

Try 1776.. its a good easy wargamer. If you know how to use vassal I have a lot of games I am writing tutorials on to show people how some games play/work

I do own 1776! But, just the other day I reluctantly put it in my trade list as I have had it for a few years, and never played the "actual" boardgame. I played a couple easy scenario Vassal games, but the guy I was learning/playing with fizzled out. I would like to see your tutorial for 1776! The main reason I didn't put my 1776 game up for sale is because deep down I STILL want to play it! I would LOVE to see your tutorial when finished.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.