Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello boardgamegeek community!

I wonder if some of you would know how far I can go to share my Wiz-War passion with other BGG players.

I'm in the process of translating Wiz-War to french. I also redesigned the playing cards to a more sophisticated look! I am using the original english files from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/351278/redesign-for-wiz-...

I don't wish to get in trouble with copyrights "sharks-style" lawyers. I'm just a passionate bgg gamer and I want my own Wiz-War board game like many others. But I wonder all that hard work will be just for me or if I can make it widely available at thegamecrafter.com afterwards. Any ideas?

Game mechanics will remain the same.
Cards will be translated to french.
Pictures on tiles will be the ones made by Kwanchai

If it is not ok to do it, what can I do to make it ok? Is it even possible?

If you tell me there is no way to share my work, I'll be ok with it. I'm not here for a profit anyways and I'll just have my very own and unique french Wiz-War game for myself! cool

thank you

note: here is a sample of a card (translation mistakes in it, it was just a rough first sample without the eye icon on top corners) :

2nd note: if you can translate as well and would like to help me out, send me a private message, I did the 7 first pages of the basic set (22 pages). But If someone would like to translate the additional pack, it would be awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Volt26 wrote:

Ask Tom Jolly. He's a responsive guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the text on the cards is substantive [not just piddly stuff like "take 2 gold"], then it is copyrighted and a translation is a derivative work, which the copyright owner has the exclusive right to do or to order to have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
If the text on the cards is substantive [not just piddly stuff like "take 2 gold"], then it is copyrighted and a translation is a derivative work, which the copyright owner has the exclusive right to do or to order to have done.

I thought so.. What would allow me to share my work? I'll most likely spend over 40 hours to translate all that text (I'm willing to do it just for myself) but I think it would be a waste to not share it with other french Wiz-War fans..

I guess providing the files on the forums would be ok? After all, other people are sharing redesigns of the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Volt26 wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I thought so.. What would allow me to share my work? I'll most likely spend over 40 hours to translate all that text (I'm willing to do it just for myself) but I think it would be a waste to not share it with other french Wiz-War fans..

I guess providing the files on the forums would be ok? After all, other people are sharing redesigns of the original game.

Even the making of the translation for personal use is technically illegal.

The files shared on the forums are illegal if they use or adapt any of the original art or substantive text from the game.

What would allow you to be in the clear, legally speaking, is asking the copyright holder [which may or may not be the game designer; in all likelihood, it's the publisher].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Even the making of the translation for personal use is technically illegal.

The files shared on the forums are illegal if they use or adapt any of the original art or substantive text from the game.

What would allow you to be in the clear, legally speaking, is asking the copyright holder [which may or may not be the game designer; in all likelihood, it's the publisher].

With the caveat that different countries have different laws.And, as you explained, the copyright holder can grant permission to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Volt26 wrote:

Ask Tom Jolly. He's a responsive guy.

Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Tom Jolly seems to have been pretty cool about PnP copies of Wiz-War during its long OOP phase. As Paul said, you should get in contact with him and let him know what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the replies. I highly appreciate it.

I will send an email to the game designer very soon in the hopes that he will appreciate my effort to translate his game

I'm just a passionate player that want to share this wonderful game with my french-canadian friends. I'm not here for a profit, this game need so much stuff to work that it wouldn't be possible to sell it anyways (just the 400+ cards will most likely cost me over 70$, add around 30$ on wooden boards and tiles and 10$ worth of ink and sticker sheets). I bet a published game by a real company would be able to sell this awesome game for less than 50$!

Unfortuntely, I doubt it will be translated to french anytime soon. Otherwise, I would just wait for the upcoming but not yet sure 2011 release! We're so close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.