Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, my wife and I had a friend over for dinner. She noticed my collection of games and we started talking about the subject. By her own admission, her knowledge of boardgames was limited to the annual game of scrabble, and was interested about all these games she never heard of. Long story short, we ended up playing a game of Carcassonne. She said shen enjoyed it. Later during the evening, she invited us for dinner at her place and mentioned we could bring another game. A four-player game, so her daughter, who is 17, could join as well. So what game shall I bring? I'd like to provide a bit lengthier experience as Carcassonne and a bit more complex as well, yet not too much lest I throw them off. Now, I don't have many games to choose from, so I would appreciate if you guys had a look at my collection and made suggestions. I know Settlers is a given, but I've come to loathe the base game and adding Cities and Knights for the first time might a bit heavy on non-gamers. My initial thought is Stone Age. Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Stone Age would be a good safe choice if compared to Agricola or Le Harve for starters, however the resource management element is what you should consider, playing Carcassonne is not the same experience as playing Stone Age.

Others that I would suggest would be Bohnanza and Ticket to Ride, and maaaaybe Pandemic if you were somewhat analytical placing your tiles in Carcassone maybe Pandemic would be nice, cooperative too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Stone Age if I were you. And Dominion after it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Stone Age as the next step. I think, if you are trying to introduce people to the boardgaming hobby, showing them different types of games and different mechanics will show them how many possibilities there are and keep them interested. Stone Age has very simple rules and mechanics, and can be played thinking as much or as little about points and strategy as you want, which I find perfect for new gamers.

If you are looking for a new game to purchase, I would definitely suggest Ticket to Ride, either North America or Europe. This has been really popular at the boardgaming events I organize and definitely the favourite for new players interested in the hobby.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered playing Carcassonne again since it was enjoyed on the first play? I like the Stone Age recommendation too since it is fairly easy and a bit of a step up from Carc if that's what you want.

Good luck!

Also, I noticed Hotel Tycoon in your collection... that game has some significant nostalgic value for me as I played it a bunch as a kid. I'm not recommending it for this occasion, just taking notice of the fact that you have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Stone Age might be a bit too long of a game to draw in people who aren't sure that they even want to be drawn in to gaming.

My suggestion from your collection is Ghost Stories. I've found that collaborative games are a good way to get converts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with your statement that cities & knights is too heavy on non-gamers. if you are trying to introduce them to the hobby, i'd just bite the bullet and play the base game you loathe. after all, if you have future gaming with them in mind, you don't want to scare them off. i'd also consider replaying carcassonne too.. maybe she'll like it so much, she'll want a copy and you can recommend something like hunters & gatherers and then you'll have a unique game to play at their house lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Cities and Knights takes too long and that shouldn't work. Stone Age is a good option or basic Catan. Basic Catan converted loads of players around the world! People tend to like negotiation games. Stone Age has the "tricky" scoring of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Colosseum; I would play that. I've played it with a few people new to the hobby and they really liked it! It's a fun game and it has some real visual flare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering Colosseum too, but I haven't played it myself yet. When explaining a game, I always try to make sure I myself have at least a couple plays under my belt, as there is only so much you can learn from simply reading the rules. I find that I can explain the rules better and forget to mention less details when I do. Ghost Stories is not actually in my collection, I should remove that. Probably my subconsciousness wishing a bit too hard I actually owned itshake. By the way, thanks for the advice, all. I can't seem to give everyone a thumb due to some forum malfunction, but in my heart and mind you all have one kiss.

bnordeng wrote:
Also, I noticed Hotel Tycoon in your collection... that game has some significant nostalgic value for me as I played it a bunch as a kid. I'm not recommending it for this occasion, just taking notice of the fact that you have it.

I often played it as a kid as well, preferring it over Monopoly any day of the week. laugh Nowadays I mainly keep it because I can't bring myself to throw it away. Nostalgia and all that jazz... Maybe I should I break it out sometime, just for old time's sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with bringing Carc as well, since it was such a hit. Jazz it up a little by bringing Inns & Cathedrals too.
I also agree with the Stone Age idea, bring that too!
This way they get to play 2 games but only learn new rules once. (I find new gamers are easily intimidated by learning new rules).

Cities & Knights I also agree would be too much for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carc and Stone Age. Can't go wrong and different enough you give a glimpse of future possibilities.

Also these have been big hits with my female family members and friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.