Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From other topics and recommendations, I got to this list, remembering that I am new to Euro Games,that I would like some lighter games also, that I normally play with 4-5 people who don't speak English so well, that I would like variety on mechanics and topics, and that I am not really into fantasy, mythology and witches' games and that I am buying this quantity because I am going to USA and here in Brazil we don't have them;

So what would you take or change on this 22 list game, since I would buy something like 15...

Age of Steam
Agicola
Axis & Allies 1942
Battlestar Galactica
Bohnanza
Carcassonne
Diplomacy
Dominion
Endeavor
For Sale
Formula D
Galaxy Trucker
Mystery Rummy Case nº1
Pandemic
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Race for The Galaxy
Shogun
The Settlers of Catan
Through The Ages
Ticket to Ride Europe
Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your play group like? A game like Through the Ages for instance is amazing if you have a group that can handle it but if not it's an expensive dust collector. Give us a bit more information about your group.

Edit: I highly recommend these for almost any group, the other games I would want more information first. I haven't played Bohnanza but it is probably a good bet too.

Carcassonne
Dominion
For Sale
Pandemic
Puerto Rico
Catan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Carcassonne gets my vote for your situation. English language comprehension is not a requirement, so it should be good for your friends. It's a very good game that I consider to be on the "lighter" side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola would be difficult if you are playing with an English copy, and the group does not speak English well. It is also not light.

Carcassonne would be a possibility.

Formula D would be a possibility.

Pandemic could work, if the special cards were able to be read (or you could make a cheat sheet)

The Settlers of Catan could work.

Through the Ages is heavy, and has a lot of reading. Probably not a good place to start.

Ticket to Ride could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps "Citadels" would be a nice one to put on the list.

A nice and easy card game that can be played anywhere.
Some in game text is present, but fairly simple with a cheat sheet.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I missed the part about you wanting light games. Definitely going to need to make some changes then. You have too many games that won't work with a light crowd. Keep a couple of them in case they want to tackle them but I think too many of those choices will be flops with a previously non-euro, light game group. I'd still like a bit more information about them though.

My group is a fan of light games so I will give some suggestions to look at as well:

Diamant
The Downfall of Pompeii
BANG! The Bullet!
Saboteur
Citadels
Quoridor
Stone Age
Ca$h 'n Gun$

All of these should be easy enough despite the language barrier. Dominion expansions are a good investment too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam

Agricola - Definite buy. One of the best worker placement games with different levels of difficulty. However, the English requirement will make the full game particularly difficult (lots of cards!).

Axis & Allies 1942

Battlestar Galactica

Bohnanza - Great for larger groups and introduces some unique concepts to a card game. Also fairly easy to learn rules wise...just have to emphasize that the cards have to stay in the same order...its hard for some people not to rearrange cards ("what do you mean I can't group my stink beans together?")...

Carcassonne - I'm lukewarm on this game, but it is relatively easy to learn/teach and it is one of the recognized "gateway" games and does introduce the whole tile laying type game.

Diplomacy - Not my cup of tea. It can turn really nasty if people forget to keep it just in the game. Careful with this one depending on your game group. That said, from your group description (regarding the guys), it sounds like this is exactly what you're looking for

Dominion - Good deck building game...seems to find a group of people who really like it in most game groups. Also has a couple of expansions you could look at as well. Could be a real problem with a group that doesn't read English though since every kingdom card has english text.

Endeavor

For Sale - One of the best fillers out there and its easy to pick up/teach. I'd highly recommend this one for starting off game nights when people are still arriving as its pretty short.

Formula D - It's a racing game, but it doesn't do much for me...it can suffer from runaway leader syndrome and is highly dice dependent. Lots of down time if people don't think ahead and figure out what gear would be best for them. That said, it can play alot of people.

Galaxy Trucker - Must buy in my opinion...just a blast to play. The expansion adds ALOT to this game as well as a 5th player option and can help level the playing field between new players and newbies.

Mystery Rummy Case nº1

Pandemic - Arguably one of the best cooperative games out there. I think the "On the Brink" expansion adds considerably to this game (as well as adding a 5th player option). Has some English requirements, but not excessively so.

Power Grid

Puerto Rico - I'm kind of meh on this one. I can take it or leave it. It does suffer a little from seating issues if you have a mix of newbies and experienced players. I'd much rather play Agricola

Race for The Galaxy

Shogun

The Settlers of Catan - Another "gateway" game, but I kind of wish I never bothered with this one...I find it boring and there's too much down time.

Ticket to Ride Europe - Another good "gateway" game featuring set collection. I prefer TtR Marklin, but its personal preference, and TtR Europe is considered the friendliest TtR to play.

Tigris & Euphrates - I'm told this is a great Abstract game...but I've never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we are a group of 6, sometimes, more...As most of times, the man like heavier games, with war and backstabbing, and the girls think Risk to heavy....so I would like some games where we could all play, 6 of us, and some heavier games for may be just 4 for the guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the following:

Bohnanza
Carcassonne
Dominion
For Sale
Pandemic
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Race for The Galaxy
The Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride Europe
Tigris & Euphrates

Dominion and RftG might be a little language-heavy, though, depending on what you mean by "don't speak English so well".

Some of the other games I haven't played, or haven't played much, so my excluding them doesn't mean they're bad.

I would recommend that you also consider:
Amun Re
Caylus (heavier, but great game!)
Finca
El Grande
Notre Dame
Ra
Santiago
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If possible,try squeezing in Samurai. Soo good.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cícero Gomes Junior
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vou comentar apenas os que eu já joguei:

Age of Steam - muito pesado, mas, se seus amigos estiverem a fim, é um ótimo jogo.

Agicola - a versão 'família' pode ser jogada sem dificuldade por quem não conhece inglês, mas a versão completa é difícil nesse aspecto. até 5 podem jogar.

Bohnanza - ótimo com seis pessoas, bastante leve e simples

Carcassonne - eu pessoalmente não gosto, mas dizem que é um bom jogo para introduzir novos jogadores ao hobby. Máximo de 5 jogadores.

Dominion - acredito que dá sim para jogar com quem não conhece inglês, pois meu pai jogou com meus irmãos e não teve dificuldade. Basta decorar o que as cartas fazem (ou ter um papel por perto). Parece difícil, mas são apenas 25 no jogo todo e apenas 10 são usadas a cada partida.

For Sale - ótimo jogo para até 6 pessoas, independente de linguagem, pode ser jogado com mais estratégia ou mais 'solto', o que o torna muito bom para grupos de pessoas com preferências variadas.

Formula D - não é tão leve, mas dá para jogar com 6 se problema e mesmo quem não sabe o que está fazendo se diverte torcendo para os adversários baterem.

Pandemic - eu não gosto muito, mas dizem que funciona bem com novos jogadores ou quem gosta de jogos leves. Só vai até 4 jogadores, porém.

Power Grid - não é tão leve, mas funciona bem com 6 jogadores (na minha opinião: alguns acham que o mapa fica muito cheio) e não depende muito de linguagem

Puerto Rico - vai até 5; eu gosto bastante, mas é um jogo pesado.Todas as cartas de prédio têm texto, mas é possível uma pessoa que saiba inglês explicar para todas as que não sabem.

Race for The Galaxy - um dos meus jogos preferidos, com mecânicas similares às do PR; tem pouco texto em inglês e é possível aprender todas as cartas com texto em poucas partidas. O que muitos reclamam é a necessidade de memorizar símbolos. Eu não acho ruim, mas talvez seu grupo (especialmente quem gosta de jogos mais leves) não goste.

The Settlers of Catan - bom jogo, não depende de linguagem. Só vai até 4. Há um expansão para jogar com 5 ou 6, mas eu creio que o jogo fica muito lento nesse caso.

Ticket to Ride Europe - Embora eu prefira o original, esse jogo é muito bom e normalmente os jogadores que preferem jogos leves gostam dele.

Tigris & Euphrates - jogo bem pesado e agressivo, para até 4 pessoas. Só compre se você tiver amigos que gostem desse estilo.

Agora, se você quiser trazer:

Age of Steam
Through the Ages
Galaxy Trucker
Endeavor

e não gostar, eu compro de você

Abraços.
Junior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
thalescnm wrote:
From other topics and recommendations, I got to this list, remembering that I am new to Euro Games,that I would like some lighter games also, that I normally play with 4-5 people who don't speak English so well, that I would like variety on mechanics and topics, and that I am not really into fantasy, mythology and witches' games and that I am buying this quantity because I am going to USA and here in Brazil we don't have them;

So what would you take or change on this 22 list game, since I would buy something like 15...

Age of Steam
Agicola
Axis & Allies 1942
Battlestar Galactica
Bohnanza
Carcassonne
Diplomacy
Dominion
Endeavor
For Sale
Formula D
Galaxy Trucker
Mystery Rummy Case nº1
Pandemic
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Race for The Galaxy
Shogun
The Settlers of Catan
Through The Ages
Ticket to Ride Europe
Tigris & Euphrates

Bohnanza, Settler of Catan, Ticket to Ride.
Maybe you sholud try Zooloretto as well. Or Saboteur. Bang. These are light games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, from my list and the new suggestions, what games I should buy if I wanted 5 heavy games (like Agricola, Age of Steam), 5 not so heavy games (like Stone Age, Dominion), and 5 light games (like Bohnanza, Saboteur, For Sale)????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiuHAuihaiuiuahiuA
Vlw pela dica, mas c as dicas forem boas, infelizmente vou acabar não vendendo pra você...

Abraço Junior!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thalescnm wrote:
Ok, from my list and the new suggestions, what games I should buy if I wanted 5 heavy games (like Agricola, Age of Steam), 5 not so heavy games (like Stone Age, Dominion), and 5 light games (like Bohnanza, Saboteur, For Sale)????

Here's a list that I might get. I like to play a variety of games, but my family prefers lighter games. I tried to pick out games that we like to play over and over again.

Heavier games:
Agricola
Tigris & Euphrates
Steam
Commands & Colors: Ancients or Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 (if I knew that I had someone that would enjoy playing this with me several times)

Not as heavy games:
Ra
Yspahan
Ingenious
Pandemic (but only with the expansion)
One of the Ticket to Ride games (I like Marklin, but Europe would be good)
Galaxy Trucker
Dominion (but only with at least 1 expansion. I like seaside, but both are good)

Card games:
Race for the Galaxy
Wyatt Earp (I think this would be better than Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper if you're going for more than 2 players. We like both games, but this one gets a lot more play with us)
Tichu
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a good list there. I'd say these are must have for your group since their language requirement is minimal, they offer good variety in mechanics and are all successful, proven games.

Bohnanza - High player interaction
Carcassone - Tile laying
For Sale - Auction, short
Pandemic - Co-op
Settlers of Catan - Must have
Ticket to Ride - Route/Network building. Must have.

As someone else mentioned, I would substitute Stone Age for Agricola, since it has no language requirements, but is a medium weight game.

For a heavier, euro game, with minimal language requirement, you could also consider Caylus or Caylus Magna Carta.

The only genres I see missing could be abstract and party games. I think party games might be hard to cross cultures with. For abstract, you could look at Ingenious.

Just some suggestions so you have even more things to think about/consider :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.