Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: review [+] [View All]
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although there are a lot of user comments for this game, I think it also deserves a review, so here we are.

This is the expansion to the game Elfenland, no to be confused with the game Elfengold.

Map board with tokens to indicate what each city is worth in gold.

Components
The game comes in a box half the size of the base game and there are also not much components in it. There is cardboard money, unfortunately only printed one-sided and tokens with numbers, which you put on the mapboard to indicate how much money you can earn in each city.
Furthermore, there are additional travel tiles: One more boar, see monsters to make it difficult traveling on water, 2 types of spells with which you can switch travel tokens or put 2 tokens on a road. In addition there are also gold tokens which double the earnings of a city and prevent the applying of barriers.
Lastly, 7 gold cards and 6 wizards cards, the latter ones used in a variant of the game and 2 more round cards.

The components are of the same quality as in the base game. Unforntunately the blue back side of the travel tokens are in a darker blue than the ones from the base game, so it would be best to keep them in a bag to draw from.

Gameplay
The game consists now of six rounds instead of four and the amount of dragons, clouds and unicorns is reduced. I won't desribe it completly here. The major changes are: You don't get travel cards blindly, but you are now able to choose from 3 open cards, so you can take the ones you will need. The travel tokens are mostly auctioned (biggest change), although you also get 2 each round for free. The money for the auction comes from traveling. Each city you visit gives you money.

What changes
You mostly are low on cards, but with 2 more rounds, you are able to vist as many cities as known from the base game. The game is more aggressive, at least in my gaming round. There are far more travel tokens put negativly onto the board to screw other players, which is good for players who like this sort of interactivity.
There is also more room for strategy, because there is lesser luck involved as in the base game - although there is still luck. If you want to travel through the mountains and there are no dragons, clouds or unicorns in the auction, you are still to pay more. But now, you can hold of traveling (and take 2 cards instead of gold) for a better chance in the next turn because you may keep all your travel cards.

The game now takes about double the time as the base game.

Conclusion
You won't like this game, if you don't like the base game, because its essence is kept over. The game now takes longer and plays more aggressivly. The luck is also reduced by a fair margin (but really not eliminated). I quite like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brauerle wrote:

The game now takes about double the time as the base game.

Wow, this is a deal-killer for me. I LOVE Elfenland, and would be very interested in this expansion, but not at double the time to play. Thanks for this info; I hadn't seen anyone estimate the additional time needed before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmb
I have played this a few times and did not notice any discernable time increase. It makes the game better. Too bad it is long out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted McManus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played Elfenland + Elfengold once and it was brutally intense. I loved it, and hope to play again someday. My memory is that it took much longer due to all the new decision points, but we might've gotten quicker in future sessions.

Others have pointed out that components from King of the Elves can create a playable Elfengold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Applegate
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game with the expansion and love it. My buddy has played both ways and says he won't play without the expansion. Having played 3 times now I would have to agree. Lot's of stragety with limited moves. My kind of game. The good news is that you can pick up the base game cheap. The bad news is that the expansion will run you about $50 or more. For me it was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely buy the expansion at $50, but even if the game's way better, a 2.5 hour Elfengold vs. a 1+ hour Elfenland makes me pause and reconsider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be mentioned, that the setup time is higher in the expanded game. Not only have you to set up the gold chits on the board - you have also to take out certain numbers of travel tokens from the base game.

Of course, if you only play with the expansion, the travel tokens and cards would always be stored in the box at the right values speeding things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a note, a 6 player game of Elfengold yesterday took about 3 and a half hours (including explaining the game). All enjoyed the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
kinbote wrote:
I played Elfenland + Elfengold once and it was brutally intense. I loved it, and hope to play again someday. My memory is that it took much longer due to all the new decision points, but we might've gotten quicker in future sessions.

Others have pointed out that components from King of the Elves can create a playable Elfengold.

Where is this mentioend and how do you go about it? I have a spare King of the Elves set that I could use for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in these threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/353314/playing-elfengold...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/66683/using-king-of-the-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.