Subject: Is it possible to play SoK with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if not, why not? I haven't read the rules (and obviously haven't bought it) so I don't know. I know there are some games that are impossible in 2 players because they require voting. Is there something similar in SoK that prevents it from being played in 2 players? or maybe it is playable in 2 players? And why is the recommended with 3-4 players while the travel edition recommended with 2-4 players? Is it different?
Tnx ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
From the designer:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/24zs44yxib/Klau...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
kroen wrote:
And if not, why not? I haven't read the rules (and obviously haven't bought it) so I don't know. I know there are some games that are impossible in 2 players because they require voting. Is there something similar in SoK that prevents it from being played in 2 players? or maybe it is playable in 2 players? And why is the recommended with 3-4 players while the travel edition recommended with 2-4 players? Is it different?
Tnx ahead.

There are some custom two-player rules hacks for SoC, but in general they are not considered that satisfying. There are two main issues with 2-player SoC:

- The board is too big. Thus you can almost always get to good spaces and get the resources you want. There's none of the tension that comes from a 4-player game, where you must make difficult decisions about when, where, and how fast to expand, versus spending resources on other things.

- No reason to trade. In a 4-player game, equal trades make sense because they can put you ahead of the other two players. In a two-player game, an equal trade results in no change in position. So you only propose or accept trades that favor you, which a competent opponent will have no part of. So no trading happens, eliminating the main mechanic of the game.

Even if you fix the lack of tension caused by the board size, without trading, you basically have a fairly simple resource/building game. But if you want to play that, there are better choices out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 player version from the designer does in my opinion deal with these issues as well as possible but yes it's a better game with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If you really want to play Settlers two-player, you're probably better off getting the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
If you really want to play Settlers two-player, you're probably better off getting the card game.

That game supports trading. I think that even with 2 players, trading can occur fairly. I suppose it is more strategic to take trades that only are 1 for 2 or 1 for 1 but only on your turn, but every once in a while a trade does occur. Sometimes my wife gets mad though when I don't do a trade. Still don't know how to handle it.

Also, I suppose you could also make the board smaller for two player.

You could create some random way to have trade offers from an imaginary third player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.