Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
OK, having determined that more than 3/4 of respondents find that stated playing times are too short, I'm curious - how long do you expect a game to take (1) the first time you play it, and (2) with experienced players, given a stated time on the box? Assume you are playing with your usual group; if you're part of multiple groups, answer for one group, and have your sock puppet accounts answer for the others...

Poll
1. Given a stated playing time, how much time would you expect your first play to take on average?
  0:15 0:30 0:45 1:00 1:15 1:30 2:00 2:30 3:00 3:30 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 More than 10 hours
Stated time: 0:30
Stated time: 0:45
Stated time: 1:00
Stated time: 1:30
Stated time: 2:00
Stated time: 2:30
Stated time: 3:00
Stated time: 4:00
Stated time: 5:00
2. Given a stated playing time, how much time would expect the game to take with experienced players?
  0:15 0:30 0:45 1:00 1:15 1:30 2:00 2:30 3:00 3:30 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 More than 10 hours
Stated time: 0:30
Stated time: 0:45
Stated time: 1:00
Stated time: 1:30
Stated time: 2:00
Stated time: 2:30
Stated time: 3:00
Stated time: 4:00
Stated time: 5:00
      60 answers
Poll created by huber

Discussion welcome, as always...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I does depend on the kind of game, publisher, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't operate in these terms.

If my group enjoys playing the game, how long it takes doesn't matter.

If we find ourselves bored halfway through the game, then it obviously takes twice as long as it should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Asur wrote:
I does depend on the kind of game, publisher, etc...

Oh, certainly - that's why I asked for an average. If you prefer, imagine it's a game of a type you most often play, from a publisher whose games you've never played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gap differences are to big.

It would be easier on a - and + scale.
-45, -30 -15 0 +15 +30 +45

For instance as a new player I think a four hour game will take +90 minutes

as an experienced player +30 minutes. (some games will go quicker; some longer but the 4 hours looks to be optimistic)

In your matrix I can choose between 4, 5 or 6 hours.

so if the horizontal axis would be differences instead of playing time It would allow for a narrower indication of expected playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of playing minutes mentioned with most of my games are about half the time spent playing when a game is new.
Although for me this is included time spent:
1 set-up
2 reading the manual out loud (no advantage for the reader who knows what to expectwhistle)
3 going over all the steps with manual the first time.

Furthermore I found that games 5 to 10 tend to take longer, because at this point you think you get the "hang" of the game (which often isn't the casecry)

After +/-10 games the time seems to level out in about 1.5 times the minutes mentioned on the box.

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest thing that you have left out is the number of players.

If Im teaching another player a 2 player game like Memoir '44 it wont take much past an hour and a half for a game probably. But if someone is teaching Twilight Imperium with a full complement of 4-8 players. That time goes astronomically up! Scaling for a poll like this must be based on the number of players in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, I don't want to vote in the poll.gulpThat thing is just freaky.

I just want to say: double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that generally the first play takes however long the box says it will take, and subsequent plays are over more quickly than whatever the box says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
That thing is just freaky.

Don't you mean "that thing is GEEKY" whistle

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.