Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: The content and theme of the core set and asylum packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
I was wondering if some of the old(er) hands on this forum could give an introduction to the sort of cards that can be found in the core set and in each of the cycles of asylum packs. I think I can more or less guess at the themes, but it'd be interesting to know if the various cycles contribute something new to the game (e.g. alters the focus of the game between struggles or card types, brings in new subtypes, etc.). I suppose the categories would be something like the following (with my own very general reflections in italics, to be deleted):

Core set

Seems to have a strong focus on characters. Support and event cards seem to be fairly general in nature, rather than building on subtypes or particular struggles or strategies

Ancient Horrors + Mountains of Madness (if they can be lumped together)

AH: All characters. A lot of Ancient Ones and other big, expensive characters...

MM: Polar mechanic

The Summons of the Deep

APs each focus on a particular struggle, with conspiracy cards to match and support/event cards to match

The Dreamlands

'clan' mechanics (e.g. Zoog, Gug). Dreamer subtype. Nigh/Day mechanic.

The Yuggoth contract
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
oldthrashbarg wrote:
I was wondering if some of the old(er) hands on this forum could give an introduction to the sort of cards that can be found in the core set and in each of the cycles of asylum packs. I think I can more or less guess at the themes, but it'd be interesting to know if the various cycles contribute something new to the game (e.g. alters the focus of the game between struggles or card types, brings in new subtypes, etc.). I suppose the categories would be something like the following (with my own very general reflections in italics, to be deleted):

Core set

Seems to have a strong focus on characters. Support and event cards eem to be fairly general in nature, rather than building on subtypes or particular struggles or strategies

Ancient Horrors + Mountains of Madness (if they can be lumped together)

AH has a lot of Ancient Ones and other big, expensive characters...

The Summons of the Deep

Seems most of the APs focus on a particular struggle, with conspiracy cards to match. More tailored support and event cards

The Dreamlands

The Yuggoth contract

Dreamlands focuses on "clan" decks and the use of the Day/Night mechanic.

At the Mountains of Madness is essentially its own mini-theme and is based around the Polar keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Mountains of Madness is based on the currently fail Polar events, (and Alaskan Sledge Dogs!).

Ancient Horrors was all characters wasn't it?

Summons of the Deep packs all emphasized a particular struggle type in each AP, adding similar cards benefiting the winner of certain struggles, or adding extras of certain kinds, or modifying how those struggles are resolved.

I wouldn't say that the Dreamlands is really about clans yet. They are trying, with the Zoogs and the Gugs, but I still don't think there is enough card mass for this. It is about Day/Night mechanics, but I'm finding that the Dreamer subtype, and the Dreamlands subtype are currently more important mechanics. Controlling more Dreamland supports/locations than your opponents allows for a ton of nasty effects to be triggered off your cards with this set. Also, the Silver Key is a seriously messed up card that can pretty much turn the game on its head, (exhausted characters can commit to stories, unexhausted characters cannot). Still more APs to go in this cycle, but I will say I've found it more interesting than Summons was. Perhaps because summons seemed to processional, (this pack does the Terror sturggle stuff, now this one does combat, now arcane...), there wasn't as much excitement to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that one thing Summons helped with for deck building and the overall metagame was to provide additional "card mass" to help basically fill out the cards that came with the core set. And I'm not sure I would have wanted anything different to be honest (rather than immediately after the core set go directly into completely new mechanics and subtypes like the Dreamlands cycle has).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
I do think that one thing Summons helped with for deck building and the overall metagame was to provide additional "card mass" to help basically fill out the cards that came with the core set. And I'm not sure I would have wanted anything different to be honest (rather than immediately after the core set go directly into completely new mechanics and subtypes like the Dreamlands cycle has).

Speaking as a complete novice here, would 'Summons' not also help you to construct a deck around the strengths of each faction (e.g. adding investigation struggles for Miskatonic, removing enemies' terror icons for Hastur, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
You could look at it that way.
I'll cast my lot with Mr. Rawls and say that it might be more useful to view the Summons Of The Deep cycle as more of a "Core Set Part II" collection that you really kinda need to properly "fill out" & bolster the main strategies & synergies of the Core Set. Going in order when purchasing Asylum Packs does have its advantages in that regard. I think so far Fantasy Flight has done a very good job of orchestrating the game flow of the new LCG, starting you off slow then gradually introducing new mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. That was pretty much what I meant with my comments about the "Processional" feel of the Summons cycle. "Yeah, OK, you've given us the ability now to mess with/coattail all of the struggle types and skill comparison". It was pretty meh. But, yes, it does give card mass, and as the arc of a reset from CCG/LCG, these were mechanics that were going to be needed, so you might as well get them out there first. A game-mechanic foundation block as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldthrashbarg wrote:
Noonespecial wrote:

Speaking as a complete novice here, would 'Summons' not also help you to construct a deck around the strengths of each faction (e.g. adding investigation struggles for Miskatonic, removing enemies' terror icons for Hastur, etc.)?

Yeppers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chess Prodigy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Hello Chess Prodigy...
Man, I hate that guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Hello Chess Prodigy...

Hah, 's funny; I just got The Horror Beneath the Surface with Chess Prodigy in the post today. Very apt.

So...have the new cycles of asylum packs brought any change in the relative strengths of factions or strategies? Any entirely new strategies/decks (relative to the core set) that can be built around the new mechanics and subtypes? And what is the 'clan' mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming by "clan" mechanics, the previous poster was referring to things like Gug, Ghoul, Mi-Go subtypes, with cards that boost/give abilities to other Gugs, Ghouls and Mi-Gos, much like there the guy that lowers the costs to play investigators, the cards that work with cultists for Yog, etc. Sleep of the Dead AP just gave us more ghouls, (yay!), gugs and Mi-go enhancers. Not sure there are enough Gugs or Mi-Go yet, but I think there are now enough ghouls, which is good for me, as I'm currently working on a Shubghoul deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I'm assuming by "clan" mechanics, the previous poster was referring to things like Gug, Ghoul, Mi-Go subtypes, with cards that boost/give abilities to other Gugs, Ghouls and Mi-Gos, much like there the guy that lowers the costs to play investigators, the cards that work with cultists for Yog, etc. Sleep of the Dead AP just gave us more ghouls, (yay!), gugs and Mi-go enhancers. Not sure there are enough Gugs or Mi-Go yet, but I think there are now enough ghouls, which is good for me, as I'm currently working on a Shubghoul deck.

Dammit Brad! Now I have to get Sleep of the Dead too and my game spending was supposed to be put on hold for a while. Looks like the voluntary capital acquisition freeze recommended by my financial advisor (aka "wife") will become more temporary in nature than what was determined by our last financial staff meeting ... arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh!

Yes there's a new unique ghoul, and I think one other ghoul, there's at least one new gug, and there's a return a Mi-Go from your discard pile to your hand x3 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Harsh!

Yes there's a new unique ghoul, and I think one other ghoul, there's at least one new gug, and there's a return a Mi-Go from your discard pile to your hand x3 card.

So I'm counting (at least) six reasons why I feel the need to make yet another laminated cardboard acquisition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.