Subject: Questions for those of you playtesting Washington's War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey how long are games of Washington's War taking to play? How similar is it to We the People? Do you thing Washington's War will be GMTs entry level CDG or does it compare in complexity to Twilight Struggle?

BJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War is more complex than We the People and Twilight Struggle. It is closer to Wilderness War in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is simpler than Twilight Struggle.

Either way, it will be a good entry level CDG involving troops and battles.

Time is a little tough for me to judge having only played via e-mail, but it should play much quicker than Twilight Struggle (a full game at least). People are reporting in the 60-90 minute range once they have the rules down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Washington's War is more complex than We the People and Twilight Struggle. It is closer to Wilderness War in this regard.

I'm surprised you say it's more complex than WtP. Not sure how removing the battle cards makes it more complex, though admittedly, I don't know what other changes have been put into WaWa. And more than TS? I would say the whole headline/opponent's events/scoring cards cardplay mechanics of TS would put it way beyond lots of CDGs in terms of complexity, even without rules for the moving or armies/generals/interceptions/battles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is supposed to be a Vassal demo in the near future. Check the GMT website. You may be able to get answers directly from the developers and or author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hey how long are games of Washington's War taking to play? How similar is it to We the People? Do you thing Washington's War will be GMTs entry level CDG or does it compare in complexity to Twilight Struggle?

First game or two may take two hours to play. Experienced players can play in an hour to 90 minutes.

Game complexity is only slightly more complex than We the People. The rules are longer but much of this is because we have incorporated the many clarifications from We the People into the body of rules for Washington's War.

I'll be running a demo of the game soon. In fact I'll probably make an announcement some time today in this regard.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm surprised you say it's more complex than WtP. Not sure how removing the battle cards makes it more complex, though admittedly, I don't know what other changes have been put into WaWa. And more than TS? I would say the whole headline/opponent's events/scoring cards cardplay mechanics of TS would put it way beyond lots of CDGs in terms of complexity, even without rules for the moving or armies/generals/interceptions/battles...

In Washington's War you have a whole slew of minor rules: British regulars, a French diplomacy track, rules for avoiding combat, numerous battle factors. I just found it to be slightly more involved than Twilight Struggle. This does not mean it is complex, but I would use Twilight Struggle as an introduction to CDGs before I'd use Washington's War. Either will work.

Quote:
Time is a little tough for me to judge having only played via e-mail, but it should play much quicker than Twilight Struggle (a full game at least). People are reporting in the 60-90 minute range once they have the rules down.

All of my games have hovered at 120 minutes. I think that is because of my opponents, but I don't see a 60 minute game happening unless the war ends quickly and I'm playing with a veteran. The game does have the possibility of ending quickly, but so does Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Quote:

I'll be running a demo of the game soon. In fact I'll probably make an announcement some time today in this regard.

-Joel

I sat in on one of the WW demos and it was very interesting. I recommend sitting in and watching to anyone thinking of buying this game.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
In Washington's War you have a whole slew of minor rules: British regulars, a French diplomacy track, rules for avoiding combat, numerous battle factors.

British regulars and avoiding combat are rules in WtP as well, so unless they are more elaborate they should not add much to the complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
British regulars and avoiding combat are rules in WtP as well, so unless they are more elaborate they should not add much to the complexity.

These rules are almost exactly the same as in WtP. No added rules weight in this direction.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If you'll note, my entire reply was in comparison to Twilight Struggle and not We the People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing the complexity of Washington's War with Twilight Struggle is not necessarily a straight-forward exercise. For example:

TS has a shorter (in page length and word count) rulebook but gameplay is just about as complex as WWR. IMO, the card interaction of TS is MUCH more complex than that of WWR.

Interestingly enough, both TS and WWR are primarily political conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Comparing the complexity of Washington's War with Twilight Struggle is not necessarily a straight-forward exercise. For example:

TS has a shorter (in page length and word count) rulebook but gameplay is just about as complex as WWR. IMO, the card interaction of TS is MUCH more complex than that of WWR.

Interestingly enough, both TS and WWR are primarily political conflicts.

Not at all straight forward, but like you said both are very political and being at nearly the same complexity, I think it is worth it to compare them. I agree the card interaction is more complex in TS, but there are few if any rules that are important only every turn or so. Trying to remember rules like those are what ups the complexity for me. Washington's War does not have many of these, but TS has none at all. I think that is just one reason why TS has been a crossover hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhenderson wrote:

BJ

Playing time for WWR...

Back in January I brought a copy of Washington's War up to NYC and the Chitkickers played three games. Some of the players had played WTP, but some had not or had not in a very long time. The first game was timed and it took exactly 87 minutes. Overall we played the three games in 5 hours.

As far as complexity goes WWR has stayed very close to the complexity of WTP. It has some new wrinkles, but I do not think that adds so much complexity as depth of play. I cannot think of more than one or two other CDGs that are less complex and none that are quicker to play through.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through (on solo mode, playing both sides) the Vassal version of Washington's War, exploring the rules and with the rulebook open and consulted before making every play of the strategy cards, and even then with some getting used to the Vassal interface and obsessing over the rules to make sure I was getting them right, I played through the first two turns in 45 minutes. In real life, it would take less time -- no interface quirks and not as much rules obsession. My 3rd turn (not included in that 45-minute timeframe), where I didn't obsess over rules constantly, took about 10 minutes total for both sides, with a brief rules consult as one question arose. I believe this 10-minute number per turn is far more typical for what a tabletop play would be with a newbie like me.

The game lasts a total of 5-9 turns, and you won't know until the end of the game exactly how many turns. The average game would be 7 turns long.

9 turns * 10 minutes/turn = 90 minutes of play time.

With familiarity, I will believe this goes down even more. Certainly with North-War Ends in 1779, the play time drops a lot, and the average game would be ~70 minutes of play time with North-War Ends in 1881.

Even if these estimates are low for your particular gaming partner, I don't see how the game could last more than 2 hours unless someone really suffers from analysis paralysis...but then it is hardly something you can blame on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the feedback. I am definitely interested in Washington's War. A shorter CDG will get alot of play on my gametable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.