Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review might qualify for Outside the Scope of BGG, but I think it best fits in ChitChat.

While it is challenging and often interesting, I simply cannot recommend playing the Alzheimer’s edition of find the old lady in the snowstorm. It's an extremely frustrating game, made even more so when the family telephone is out of order and you're attempting to play this game from 1000 miles away.

The snowstorm addition to the base game, finding the old lady, makes it much more challenging, and I can only recommend it for those with a strong constitution and good frame of mind. Also, it is a co-op and as such is prone to excessive leading by strong personalities, sometimes to the detriment of the results. You need to stay creative and nimble in order to win this game, and everyone’s contributions need to be considered equally.

This game can be lengthy, too, often taking several hours to play, sometimes days or weeks, even. Fortunately we got lucky and my game only lasted for several hours, with the old lady finally located wandering the grounds of the local high school. Now there’s a tabloid headline brewing, if I ever saw one!

Elderly woman found prowling local high school!

So we won the game, this time, and my mother was found by a neighbor and returned unharmed, no falls, no slips on the ice, no frozen limbs. I think I have convinced my father to add the expansion, Safe Return Bracelet, which should make future games a bit easier and maybe go a bit faster too, as well as make some internal changes to their house that should help (like childproof the front and back door knobs, add a slip lock above eye level to the doors too, and stuff like that).

But really, in the end, I can only recommend playing this game if you really, really have to; it’s not for the faint of heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blimey! Good grief! I sympathise and appreciate your taking it with a dose of levity. But Crikey, that's got to be upsetting.

Hoping I get a ton of thumbs for this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a similar version of this game once and I agree, it is not recommended at all!

-------------

How awful. You must have been so scared! Is there an equivalent of Adult Protective Services for Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That had to be very scary and frustrating. I'm very glad to hear that it turned out well and that everyone is safe and sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for a permanent shelving of that game, and possibly destroying any copies for the future.

Wow, thank goodness no falls, etc. A sympathy hug is coming your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
Usually I encourage at least 2 or 3 plays before reviewing a game, but it sounds like you got more than enough exposure to this one.

Glad you "won."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Summer Studying!
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that everything turned out o.k. - that is some seriously scary and upsetting stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the warning on that game!!! :shivers:

Glad you were able to win and take measures to ensure the game does not get played again!!! Whew!!!!

:hugs:

PS: Your game experience sounds like a legitimate "hassle" so I think you deserve the 8GG!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, my aunt and uncle got to play this game when my grandma stayed with them on their rural acreage after Thanksgiving a year ago - while the game does an admirable job of creating tension, the potential risks make this a game to leave on the shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

**WHEW!!**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played a kind of Scotland Yard with my father, who has dementia. Every few minutes he would call me "I am now in tube station xxx, obviously the train has been running in the wrong direction!" - until I managed to catch up with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad she was found safely, but heck, that must have put the wind up you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! Who says negative reviews aren't accepted on the geek?! I think I've just proven that wrong.

Asperamanca wrote:
...Every few minutes he would call me "I am now in tube station xxx, obviously the train has been running in the wrong direction!" - until I managed to catch up with him.

A roll and move with hidden identities! Yes, a challenging version indeed!

Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy and especially the empathy from those of you who have played a version of this game already. Alzheimer's is one disease where you really need to keep a sense of humor about a situation to get through it sometimes.

EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Hoping I get a ton of thumbs for this approach.

I see what you did there.

Jatoha wrote:
Is there an equivalent of Adult Protective Services for Canada?

Yes and no. It varies from Province to Province, and unfortunately the one my folks live in is way behind the times in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game once with my 3 year old son although without the snow storm expansion.

Our play session eventually ended with visits from the Police, CPS and a judge. NOT a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad everything turned out ok in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin sent me this, and I thought it was beautiful and apropos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diane, that is one fine short film... perspective is everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also cannot recommend this game. We played with the expansion "On holiday in Sardinia" and the mini-expansion "None of you speak Italian".

We did win in the end, but a number of victory conditions were not met. These included:

- keeping your temper
- see the funny side
- make some Italian friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.