Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: utilizing_the_hivemind [+] [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to create a very simple GIF file for someone...it's just some text inside a irregular-shaped box. I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS4 to create this.

The file is 120 pixels x 60 pixels.

I created it, and outlined the fonts. Then I selected "Save for Web..." and used the default settings. (To be honest, I'm not familiar with what the settings even mean - much less what settings I should use.)

I opened the resulting GIF file and it really looks blurry.

Not sure what to do about this. I've created other GIFs and some of them were blurry also.

So, I'm looking for advice/help on how to make a nice clear, clean, crisp GIF file.

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice (working off memory, I'll check tonight):

Don't do the save for web thing, just save it. Try playing with the color settings for the image too, create it in RGB and then switch to indexed before you save it. Whenever it asks about the palate use exact.

I'll fire up PS tonight and get exact info. tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try turning anti-aliasing off. That may be causing the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
My advice (working off memory, I'll check tonight):

Don't do the save for web thing, just save it. Try playing with the color settings for the image too, create it in RGB and then switch to indexed before you save it. Whenever it asks about the palate use exact.

I'll fire up PS tonight and get exact info. tonight.

Thanks for the help....I should have mentioned that the file is not in color, black and white only.

Is it possible to save as a GIF file without using "Save for Web..." I'll have to go back and look, I didn't know that was an option.

Thanks,
jrbentley

Update: I checked and I can find no way to save as a GIF file other than by using "Save for Web..." I couldn't find GIF as an option under Save As nor under Export...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Try turning anti-aliasing off. That may be causing the problem.

Hmmm, not sure how to turn this off...?

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.