Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed many new dice games have been released recently. I might be interested in picking up 1 or 2 of them. Which of them are the best in your opinion? I have Catan Dice Game and really like it, while I tried Pickimino and found it boring. I enjoyed the original Ra game.

Some new dice games that caught my eye:

Dice Town
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Ra: The Dice Game
Alea Iacta Est
Kingsburg

I'm interested in hearing opinions from folks who've played many of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwildcatman wrote:
I've noticed many new dice games have been released recently. I might be interested in picking up 1 or 2 of them. Which of them are the best in your opinion? I have Catan Dice Game and really like it, while I tried Pickimino and found it boring. I enjoyed the original Ra game.

Dice Town
Alea Iacta Est
Kingsburg

Well, I've only played Roll Through the Ages (I bought it) and I introduced it to some friends...we all had a great time playing it. I would recommend it to anyone, it's a really good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town is a blast...sure it's luck filled, but it's always fun to steal properties/cards from your opponents and to have the ability to bribe the sheriff to decide in your favor, etc...the groups I've played this with have absolutely had a blast. It's a very light game - almost a party game, so keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Roll Through the Ages and Kingsburg. RTtA is fast to set up, has nice components, is fast to learn, and plays quickly. There is a free expansion available online where you can add some length to the game if you wish. It plays up to 4. There can be some player interaction, if you roll a combination that harms the other person, but mostly it's a race to build the best combination of things before someone trips the endgame requirements.

Kingsburg is about rolling dice, but is more about building buildings for powers and VPs, and acquiring soldiers to pass the yearly test. It's a resource gathering game, and the dice placement is very worker-placement-y. I like it, but in a very different way. It's longer, has more to learn, has a slightly longer (though not onerous setup) and takes longer to play. It goes through several cycles, so it's a game to settle into and form a strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Roll Through the Ages is a good game but I'd suggest you shop around for the second edition -- they fixed some pretty significant component issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Dice Town. Our group has a blast with it too. And yes...it's not a brain burner by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Jackson
United States
La Center
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Dice Town and enjoy it a lot with a group. Definitely worth having.

We also enjoy Ra: The Dice Game. There is tension over making the right choices. There is some interaction with trying to keep ahead of the other players. My mother-in-law likes this game a lot. Not a long brain burner but a fun dice game as well. Highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Roll Through the Ages, and I heard good things about Ra: The Dice Game and Alea Iacta Est.

Shameless plug:
You can also try my free dice game, which doesn't require any cutting or pasting: D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age uses dice to determine resource acquisition, but like Kingsburg is also a worker placement type of game. Still, easy to teach and fun to play (with 4 max, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if Sushizock im Gockelwok counts as a dice game (I think it does), but I thoroughly enjoyed this. Some decisions to make, and some methods to screw over other players, and it's quick and easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Scott. I see you have Ra so I am pretty sure you will also like Ra: The Dice Game. We have been playing it for about a month and it's a big hit. So much so that since getting RtDG we have bought THREE other dice oriented games: Airships, To Court the King and Shanghaien. Have not played any of these yet, but they all look good.

Highly recommend RtDG if you want a light, fast moving game. Since you know Ra, it will be easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwildcatman wrote:

Dice Town
Alea Iacta Est
Kingsburg

Three out of five, and my opinions on Ra the Dice Game may be considered biased. But I enjoy it, and the other two I've played, Roll Through the Ages and Kingsburg. All three of these - and some others I'd also throw into the mix, such as To Court the King, all have a luck element - they are dice games, after all. But they also all require you to play the percentages to get best results, and don't have almost obvious play. I do also enjoy Pickomino - but not with the upper range of players, stick to about four maximum - and Bluff. There's one other dice game (in addition to the at least one I've forgotten to mention) that is always worth playing - Can't Stop. That's the other type of dice game worth playing, the push your luck sort (though intelligent play also helps). However Can't Stop is so much the best of the push your luck games, that I'm not you need another.

To put all the above in perspective, I'm more the Puerto Rico/Agricola/classic Knizia game player that the chaos game player, so one might have assumed I'd run a mile from dice games. Some yes, some no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delve: The Dice Game

And it's free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Kingsburg and Roll Through the Ages. Roll Through Ages feels like Yahtzee to me. Seems like a game to play at the cottage or outside on patio table. It's a decent game and fills a roll in my collection but I could take it or leave it.

Kingsburg feels like Stone Age to me. Good game and went over well with my group. Both these games have very different feels to them even though they are both dice games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I share your feelings on Pickomino. Ignore the suggestion of Sushizock, it's basically Pickomino revisited.

I have only played the last two on your list. Here's a quick take on both.

Alea Iacta Est
This is a game of dice placement in one of four areas, each offering different ways to gain victory points. You need to diversify a little bit over the course of the game, trying for different things at different stages of the game. It's very cleverly designed, takes about 45 minutes to play with five people, and is MUCH more fun than Pickomino.

Kingsburg
This is a game where you place dice to "gain influence" with different "advisors" to the king. Each advisor gives you different things like resources, victory points, defensive bonuses, etc. You build buildings with your resources, and your buildings offer you extra ways to earn victory points or in some other way gain advantages in the game. Each round the country is attacked, your defenses are essential to protect your "area" of the country. Here the dice rolling is not as central to the game as the building, trying to gain certain advantages through clever building strategies, etc. It really doesn't feel much like a dice game, it's more like a worker placement game but it doesn't quite fit that mold either. FWIW it is one of my wife's favorite games.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.