Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued reading the rule and sample files, and found out in the sample K.O. stage, the player allowed to discard a card to "prepare for the drawing deck", however, this action was not mentioned in the rule comes with the game at all.

So, question:

1. In group stage, can player voluntarily discard a card instead of playing on the team?

2. Same question as #1, but in K.O. stage. This is important strategy especially in 16-team round and quarter-final.

Shaun, please clarify

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I noticed that and mentioned it in the thread I started too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can always discard a card voluntarily. I didn't include this in the original rules as I disallowed it. But, after it had gone to press I played it with some friends and I realised that this would be a neat tactic to add, so effectively it's a variant on the original rules. Best to agree beforehand with the group you are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schloth
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ah3dog wrote:
1. In group stage, can player voluntarily discard a card instead of playing on the team?

sderrick wrote:
Yes, you can always discard a card voluntarily.

To be clear:

Are you saying you may discard a card in the Group Stage?

If so, when do you do it? Can you do it in each match? And how does this square with the rule that states you must play 1 to 4 cards in each Group Stage match? I.e. does discarding a card fulfill the requirement of playing at least one card per match?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noseworthy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSchloth wrote:

To be clear:

Are you saying you may discard a card in the Group Stage?

If so, when do you do it? Can you do it in each match? And how does this square with the rule that states you must play 1 to 4 cards in each Group Stage match? I.e. does discarding a card fulfill the requirement of playing at least one card per match?

Thank you.

In addition, during Group Stage, if you use up your 7 or 8 cards on the first two matches, and are left with 0 cards, are you violating the "must play 1 to 4 cards" rule?

Thanks,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
noseman wrote:

In addition, during Group Stage, if you use up your 7 or 8 cards on the first two matches, and are left with 0 cards, are you violating the "must play 1 to 4 cards" rule?

Thanks,

Mark

I have always assumed the answer to this is Yes. You must save at least one card for the third match in the group stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game I would only see Discarding as a good tactic in the post group stages only.

The group stage is all about hand management in maximising your cards for the 3 games you participate in.

Its hard enough with only 7 or 8 cards, I cant see why discarding would help.

You have to play at least 1 card each game anyway so its not an option to have 0 cards left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.