Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m here to tell ya, Constant Reader, that the combo of the FotM expansion with the “Through the Seasons” variant is one very intricate Agricola gaming experience. The seasonal complications really turn this one into a whole new ballgame, and—at least in this instance—can result in some very interesting situations and outcomes. We did a standard pass-the-garbage draft of Ocks, 10-6 for expansion Minors, and 7-4 for regular Minors. I retain my first Ock as much to keep it from my opponents as anything else; this choice, though wise, will prove to be my undoing. Standard double-Ock boards, and our favored juicy Autumn start. It might have been a 5-player event, but Ron opted for wasting his time watching some lame football game over at his sister’s house. Saints and the Colts, iirc. No matter; come along, Constant Reader, for another journey into the mystery and imagination to be found within the inner mind and the outer limits of our favorite cardboard theme park: Agricoland™!

In deference to, and appreciation for, his eternal willingness to be bludgeoned senseless game after game, we gave Starting Players honors to Skyp…

Round One/Autumn/MIMI
Skyp – Occ/Market Woman
Jimmy – 1R(2)
Geoff – 3W(4)
Brian – 2W(3)
Skyp – FT(2W)
Jimmy – CP(3fl)
Geoff – BM/Fish Trap (-2W)
Brian – RSf
Skyp – AA (1V+2G)
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Undergardner
Geoff – SP + Corn Sheaf> (1G)

Skyp gets things underway with a perfectly fine Ock for seasonal play, particularly with an Autumn start. Jimmy takes augmented reed, Brian and I claim lumber, and Skyp fells trees for same. Jimmy fuels up, I pay a premium to get the Fish Trap in play, Brian thrifts, and Skyp exercises his Market Woman with the seasonal play. Jimmy ocks to spice up Day Laborer, while I nab the button, passing along the peripatetic grain source. No horrible errors so far as I can see as the weather chills and want and deprivation descend upon the land…

Round Two/Winter/Sow & Bake
Geoff – 2C(3)
Brian – Occ/Storehouse Keeper
Skyp – SP + Peat Burn-off> (1fl +1M>PF)
Jimmy – 3W(3)
Geoff – CP(3fl)
Brian – FT(2W)
Skyp – 1W(3)
Jimmy – BM/Moor Tile (-1fl)
Geoff – RSf +1f
Brian – MIMI/Sawhorse (-2W)
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Seasonal Worker

I quickly swipe the only decent accumulation of clay, Brian ocks thrifting into a grain source (he’ll use it five times), and Skyp grabs the button for a spare fuel and the sideways plowed field (we’ve tentatively ruled that such a maneuver is allowable even in Winter without the food penalty for plowing; I’d like input from Constant Reader on that one). Jimmy hauls wood, I fuel up, Brian fells a pesky copse, and Skyp takes wood as well. Jimmy buys the Moor Tile option, I thrift, Brian picks up the prepaid stable and 5Wood fencing discount, and Jimmy ocks another enhancement to Day Laborer.

Round Three/Spring/Fences
Skyp – S&B (1Gf)
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Forester
Geoff – CP(3fl)
Brian – RSf +1G
Skyp – 2C(2)
Jimmy – BM/Clay Pit (-1fl)
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Stonecutter
Brian – FT(2W)
Jimmy – SP + Peat Burn-off> (1fl +2M>2PF)
Geoff – MIMI/Clay Oven (5f)
Brian – CP(3fl-2f)
Brian – TP(3f)

Skyp now commits one of the most basic mistakes in playing Agricola: he opens the Round with an action that no one else can do anyway. As the record stands, he could have easily started with the clay grab, used Black Market to grab a fireplace, and then still had a dude left for sowing grain or whatever else might have struck his fancy at the time. For that matter, never mind that sowing is something best done in a harvest Round to begin with; it’s hard enough to believe he doesn’t have another Ock worth playing, which is why I figured he took the button. C’est la vie. Jimmy plays yet another Ock (having probably noted my success with it a few sessions back—hah! Busted!), I fuel up again, Brian thrifts for effect, and Skyp ignores the remaining specials to grab the clay he could have taken right off the bat.

One thing can be said for certain: special actions are not meant to be ignored. Jimmy burns another wood to power-up Day Laborer even further. I can’t afford to wait any longer; I pay the vig to get out the powerful Stonecutter, which turns out to be worth a formidable 12Stone! Fine by me! Brian hacks wood, Jimmy takes his turn at the button to pass along cheap heats and get a pair of fields on the cheap (remember the Moor Tile?), and I grab the oven and a ton of bread. Brian fuels up with high test, thanks to scrounging from local thespians.

Round Four/Summer/Sheep
Jimmy – 1C(4)
Geoff – Fish(5+1f)
Brian – 3W(5)
Skyp – DL(2f +1G)
Jimmy – HF(1f)
Geoff – 1H
Brian – SB(PF)
Skyp – RSf
Jimmy – 2W(5)
Geoff – BM/Horse Trough (-2f/1fl)
Brian – Occ(-1f)/Bricklayer
Geoff – CP(3fl-2f)
Geoff – SP + Draught Horses

Despite a glaring deficit of food, Jimmy takes the bargain clay, a decision he will soon regret. I’m unable to resist the teeming fishing hole, Brian hauls in the wood, and Skyp now inadvertently puts the screws to Jimmy by occupying Day Laborer. Flummoxed, Jimmy marks time with a visit to the Fair. I grab a horse, Brian picks up a cheap field, and Skyp thrifts. In for a dime, in for a dollar, Jimmy hauls wood, surrendering to the inevitable. I put out a pricey Horse Trough, Brian ocks a serious clay discount, and I bring things to a close with a last, expensive fuel-up and a button heist to activate Draught Horses. Skyp burns off a wood for heating, and Jimmy humbly takes a stunning three Begging Cards. Nonetheless, Jimmy’s a tough opponent, and in a game of FotM/TtS I’m guessing that almost anything can happen.

Round Five/Autumn/Stone
Geoff – 1R(4) +1f
Brian – BR(1) +1s +(1s)
Skyp – MIMI/Furnace (2fl –1C)
Jimmy – SB(PF)
Geoff – HF(1f)
Brian – 1C(5)
Skyp – SP + Furnace>Built-in Oven
Jimmy – FT(2W)
Geoff – 3W(4+2 –1f)
Jimmy – DL(2f +1G/1V +3C)
Jimmy – S&B (3Wf/1Gf/1Vf)

Quadruple reed simply begs to be taken, and with the Fish Trap sweetening the deal, I can’t say no. Brian builds the first extension of the game and buys a stable, along with the prepaid one via his Sawhorse. Skyp continues to ignore the specials, opting for an outright MIMI to claim the seasonally cut-rate Furnace. Jimmy plows on the cheap, I mark time with a food jot, and Brian commandeers the bargain clay. Skyp reclaims the button to upgrade the Furnace; no more heating worries for him. Jimmy wipes out still another Forest tile, I put my Draught Horses to work again, and Jimmy now cashes in on Day Laborer, after which he sows for all he’s worth, most notably by putting the Forester to work.

Round Six/Winter/Renovation + MIMI
Skyp – 2W(4)
Jimmy – BR(1) + x
Geoff – FT(2W)
Brian – CP(3fl)
Skyp – SP + Clay Roof
Jimmy – HF(1f)
Geoff – 3W(3+1 –1f)
Brian – RSf + 1G
Jimmy – SB(PF –2f)
Geoff – 1S(2)
Brian – Ren>C + Stone Oven (8f)

Skyp hauls wood, Jimmy gets his room built, and I chisel a bit of lumber. Brian misses a bet by not grabbing the button, but he’s got other plans in mind, and simply fuels up. Skyp continues his policy of ignoring the specials and swipes the button, transforming his reed requirements to clay; it’s an interesting ploy that won’t do him much good. Sadly, he overlooked Black Market as an alternate gambit. Jimmy stalls with a fair thee well, I keep my Draught Horses busy, and Brian thrifts for effect again. Jimmy pays the vig for another field, and I now make the single most ignorant play of the game, at least as far as I’m concerned—I utterly space on the Winter Action, which is exactly what I should have taken, and instead settle for a measly 2Stone. Not to worry, though, as I have further humiliations laying in wait for me. Brian renovates, picking up the powerful Stone Oven and its hefty rewards, and Jimmy visits Day Laborer again.

Round Seven/SpringSummer/Family Growth + MI
Skyp – Fish(4f)
Jimmy – FG + Pelts
Geoff – 1H
Brian – Occ(-1f)/Clay Hut Builder
Skyp – BR(1) +1s
Jimmy – HF(1f)
Geoff – SP + Hay Wagon (-2W)
Brian – SB(PF)
Jimmy – S&B (1Vf/1Gf)
Geoff – 1C(4) + BR(2) +(2s)
Brian – MIMI/Fruit Tree (7f>

Having neglected to obtain a cookery, Skyp is virtually forced to fish to feed his family. Jimmy quickly takes on the first new hire of the game, playing another useful Minor, and I stall for time, picking up another horse, which joins its companion at the Trough near my hut. Brian activates a clay-saving Ock, Skyp gets his room built, and Jimmy visits the Fair. I retake the button to put my Hay Wagon in service. Brian adds another cheap field, Jimmy farms again, and I put my new Minor to work with a clay grab. Greed causes me to very possibly overreach; I knock out two rooms instead one, determined to get the best seasonal advantage I can manage. Brian MIMIs a nice food Minor, and we proceed to harvest. Jimmy burns a 3Wood to heat his hovel, along with a grain to feed. The only thing really observable at this time is the fact that Skyp’s refusal to use special actions is beginning to take its toll; he’s done it all of once, as opposed to Brian’s six usages, and Jimmy’s and my nine times! As mentioned before, but I’ll say it again for those who glossed over it: special actions are meant to be used if you want to do well. There’s really no way around it. It’s the whole point of the expansion.

Round Eight/AutumnWinter/Boar
Geoff – FG + Clay Oven>Baker’s Oven
Brian – 3W(6)
Skyp – 1C(3)
Jimmy – 1W(5)
Geoff – SB(PF)
Brian – FT(2W)
Skyp – MIMI/Clay Oven (5f)
Jimmy – CW/Heating Stove (-2C/1f/1W)
Geoff – RSf +1f
Brian – CW/CH4 –3f/1fl
Jimmy – 1R(1)
Brian – Sheep(5)burn3
Jimmy – Ren>C +Cookhouse

I plunge into the midgame with urgent growth and a toothless power-up. Brian happily settles for the 6Wood, Skyp sees an opening and swipes clay, Jimmy hauls lumber, and I waste time on an easy field. Brian picks up sticks while Skyp uses seasonal advantage to claim the Major I stupidly upgraded. Likewise, Jimmy capitalizes on Skyp’s move to claim the fuel-saver Skyp might have otherwise claimed. Disconsolate, I thrift. Brian coughs hard for a hearth, Jimmy grabs vital reed, Brian swoops down upon the woolies, mayhem in mind, and Jimmy bricks up his walls, picking up the benefit of Brian’s largesse and the seasonal discount.

Round Nine/SpringSummer/Vegetables
Geoff – 2W(5+2-1f)
Brian – FG + Corn Sheaf> (1G)
Skyp – 2C(4)
Jimmy – 1S(3)
Geoff – TP(6f)
Brian – CP(3fl)
Skyp – Ren>C + Stone Tongs
Jimmy – FT(2W)
Geoff – CW/Well (5f> -1f/1fl)
Brian – Fences (8+2+5)
Jimmy – DL(2f +2G/1V +3C)
Geoff – 1H-2f
Jimmy – SP +Animal Feed
Geoff – RSf +1f

“Mars Needs Wood!” I hyperbolize, while Brian responds with “Children of the Corn!” Skyp grabs clay for renovation, Jimmy claims the granite, and Brian and I restock supplies. As was obvious, Skyp mortars up his hut, putting out a Minor that he never uses. Shame, shame! Jimmy specializes, as do I by snagging the Well, unfortunately compounding my Round Eight snafu of bypassing a cookery. Brian puts his Sawhorse and seasonal bonus to good use, Jimmy visits his own private Idaho, and I buy an Arabian. Jimmy swipes the button, playing a semi-utile Minor, and after a moment’s indecision, I opt for thrifting over sniping the 3Wood. That may have been yet another mistake. Jimmy burns two veggies and a wood; I char a 3Wood as well, already ruing my previous move. Ah, well, live and learn…

Round Ten/AutumnWinter/Stone
Jimmy – 3W(6)
Geoff – CW/Furnace (2fl-1f/1fl)
Brian – Boar(3)burn1
Skyp – FG + Wheelbarrow (-2W)
Jimmy – MIMI/Village Church (2f)
Geoff – SB(PF)
Brian – SP + No-Till Farming
Skyp – 1H
Jimmy – SB(PF–2f)
Geoff – 1R(2) + Ren>C
Brian – RSf +1G
Skyp – S&B (1Gf +5f)
Jimmy – 1H-2f
Geoff – Fish(4+1f)
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Hedge Keeper

Jimmy takes the obligatory 6Wood; I clandestinely swap a food for a fuel, nabbing the Furnace for “free,” but once again failing to grow, and Brian herds boar, putting one to the knife. Skyp hires on the dude I spurned, playing a Minor for which he has little use. Jimmy promptly builds the heftiest Major in the game, ultimately squeezing an extra 3VP out of it. I turn another field, Brian nabs the button to broaden his farming capacity, and Skyp nabs a horse, the first special he’s taken since Round One. Jimmy pays the vig to turn another field himself, I grab reed and renovate to clay (good ol’ Hay Wagon!), and Brian thrifts once more. Skyp farms, Jimmy greases palms for another Arabian, and I restock supplies. Jimmy visits his cornucopia, and once again I bypass Winter growth, this time in favor of what turns out to be a minimally useful Ock. I’m sure Constant Reader knows how these things go; sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you! Hmmm, now there’s an idea for a new Minor Improvement…

Round Eleven/SpringSummer/Cattle
Brian – RSf +1G
Skyp – SB(PF)
Jimmy – 1S(2)
Geoff – 1C(4)
Brian – BR(1) +(1s)
Skyp – 2W(4)+1fl
Jimmy – Fences(15)
Geoff – CW/Peat-Charcoal Kiln (-1f/1fl)
Brian – FG + Registry of Craftsmen> (Pottery –2C/1S)
Skyp – S&B (1Vf +5f)
Jimmy – 1H
Geoff – MIMI/Museum of the Moors
Skyp – 2C(4)+1fl
Jimmy – BM/Leather Saddle –3f/1fl
Geoff – SP + Fuel Storage (1f/1fl>-1R/1C)
Jimmy – Sheep(3)burn1

Brian opens the Eleventh with another augmented visit to the five`n’dime. Skyp, now flush with workers, decides to specialize, leaving the clay and stone to Jimmy and me. Brian builds a cheap room, enjoying the free stable. Skyp hauls wood, Jimmy fences, much to my chagrin, so I cough up for the otherwise free Kiln. Brian swiftly adds a worker, using a choice Minor to swipe the Pottery from under Jimmy’s nose. Skyp farms, Jimmy settles for another horse, and I grab the Museum while the grabbing’s available. Skyp wastes an action on clay that he never uses, perhaps lured by the superfluous fuel, Jimmy ponies up for a Minor that nets him 3VP, and I snag the button, playing a Minor that proves to be little more than a drain on resources best used in other ways. Jimmy herds woolies, cooks one for the bonus point, and it’s harvest time. Brian and I lose a wood for heating, while Jimmy sacrifices a veggie to feed and a 2Wood for heat and an inspirational point. The endgame has arrived.

Round Twelve/AutumnWinter/Family Growth w/o
Geoff – 3W(6)
Brian – Cattle(2)
Skyp – FG w/o
Jimmy – Boar(2)
Geoff – CW/Joinery (-1f/2W)
Brian – Occ(-1f)/Cattle Breeder (1c)
Skyp – 1W(4) +1fl
Jimmy – 2W(3)
Geoff – FT(2W)
Brian – 1S(3)
Skyp – Fences(8)
Jimmy – (b1s) WinterAction/FG w/o (-2W/1f/2G)
Geoff – Ren>S + Ceramics Stall
Brian – RSf +1G
Geoff – MIMI/Forest Stall

Stupid is as stupid does, so says Forrest’s mama, and I demonstrate the aphorism by taking the 6Wood instead of a new worker. Brian lets growth slide as well, going for the prime beef. Skyp wisely takes the new hire, not that it’ll do him much good at this point. Jimmy cancels a negative, I special the bargain basement Joinery, and Brian reveals why he went for cattle instead of the worker. In hindsight, all he’s done is spend an action and a food for one point, but it’s the thought that counts. Skyp hauls timber, ditto Jimmy, and I scramble for a few cords myself. Brian liberates boulders, Skyp fences a 3x1 pasture, and after frying a wooly Pelts bonus, Jimmy takes the pricey Winter growth. I’ve been sussed yet again! Peeved, I renovate to stone, claiming a gratis Stall. Brian thrifts for the fifth and final time, and I quickly claim another free Stall; I love Autumn! Brian’s Cattle Breeder does his thing, and on we go.

Round Thirteen/SpringSummer/Plow & Sow
Geoff – Fish(5 +1f)
Brian – 1R(3)
Skyp – Sheep(2)
Jimmy – FG w/o
Geoff – FT(2W)
Brian – SpringAction (2Gf/1ntGf +1s/1b/1c)
Skyp – 3W(2)
Jimmy – S&B (2Wf/2Gf/2Vf +6f)
Geoff – CW/Fp2 (-1f/1W)
Brian – BR(1) +(1s)
Skyp – Fences(1+1)
Jimmy – RSf
Geoff – FG + Peat Burn-off> (1fl)
Brian – CP(3fl)
Skyp – Cattle(1)
Jimmy – Ren>S +Fp3
Geoff – PF
Brian – 1H-2f
Brian – 1V

Try as I might, I can’t justify passing up quality foodstuffs for growth; my larder is nearly empty. It’s a tough choice, but I can’t afford any skullduggery on my opponents’ part; I clear the fish pond. On the horns of a similar dilemma, Brian opts for vital reed. Skyp now edges perilously into kingmaking territory by going for a simple negative erasure in lieu of the gift Brian and I have passed along. Jimmy makes no such mistake, claiming his fifth dude before Skyp’s even withdrawn his hand from claiming the woolies. I nab a modicum of wood, while Brian farms with seasonal fury. Skyp dallies with wood, a move I carelessly overlook. Jimmy farms up a storm as well. Oblivious to Skyp’s machinations, I cough up for a clandestine fireplace. Brian adds another room and stable, and Skyp now scuttles my plans with a measly 2-point fencing action. Ack! I can’t believe he did that! Jimmy thrifts, I quickly take the forced growth, and Brian fuels up. Skyp cancels another negative, Jimmy upgrades, claiming another cookery, and I find myself at another crossroads. I’ve got one last critical Ock to play. Discretion says, “Play it now!” Valor says, “There’s one more Round!” Like an idiot, I listen to Valor and opt for a simple field. Brian buys an Arabian, grabs a veggie, and we go to harvest. Skyp sacrifices a pair of grain, Brian a wood and a cow, and Jimmy a wooly, a grain and a 2Wood (one for the Church bonus). Lights twinkle at the end of our tunnel…

Round Fourteen/All/Renovation + Fences
Geoff – MIMI/Forester’s Lodge
Brian – Ren>S + Riding Stables
Skyp – 1H
Jimmy – Cattle(1)
Geoff – Fences(9+3+2)
Brian – S&B (1Vf +8f)
Skyp – Boar(2)
Jimmy – (b1b/1h) Occ(-1f)/Tenant Farmer (1s/1b/1c/1h)
Geoff – TP(5f)
Brian – 1H-2f
Skyp – SummerAction (5f)
Jimmy – (b1h) SpringAction (+1c/1h/1b)
Geoff – CW/Horse Slaughterhouse (-1f/1fl)
Brian – 3W(3)
Skyp – 1V +2G
Jimmy – Occ(-2f)/Reeve
Geoff – DL(2f +1G)
Brian – FG + Peat Burn-off> (1fl)
Skyp – P&S (PF +2Vf)
Jimmy – (b1c) PF

Pride goeth before a fall, so they say. Looking to spike my opponents’ plans, I drop a worker on MIMI for another cheap-o Major. Brian smiles, renovates, and swipes the better Major I just uncovered. Skyp erases a negative, as does Jimmy, and I get my pastures/fences built. Brian farms, Skyp herds boar, and Jimmy pops out an eleventh-hour Ock for a few free animals and some points. The most critical of turning points is now on my doorstep, knocking loudly, demanding attention. Do I play that Ock I’ve been saving all this time (you know, the one I saved from the first round of our draft), or do I throw all caution to the wind and squeeze out one more special action? I ponder mightily, and decide that no one else could possibly want to play another Ock; I take a deep breath, exhale, and pick up one more stupid Major. Brian hauls wood for fuel, Skyp gives the Market Woman a final workout, and Jimmy proceeds to lower the boom, dashing my hopes and dreams to flinders and dust. He ocks! I can’t believe my eyes; the rotten no-good bum ocks! Stunned, I grab some food and seasonal negative erasure. Brian adds a worker, Skyp farms, and Jimmy plows after torching a cow. Dudes home, and I still haven’t recovered from the shock of Jimmy’s penultimate play. Brian loses a 2Wood, Skyp two veggies, Jimmy a 2Wood (for another bonus point), and I toss a meaningless wood as well. It’s over; I’m still transfixed, time to add up the scores…

Final Score (Occupations Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as Starting Player)(Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions)(Points Per Primary Action)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those actions first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. Secondary Actions are the “extra” actions allowed by certain spaces, such as a Minor Improvement when taking Starting Player, or Baking after Sowing. Tertiary Actions are all other “extra” actions enabled via card play or the seasonal rules of the “Through the Seasons” variant. Note that the “TtS” variant has two Action Spaces that allow Secondary Actions: Spring and Autumn.

Brian – 62 (3 Occ, 5*/4)(23/11)(1)(48(12)/9/9)(1.292)(45)
Jimmy – 55 (5 Occ, 5*/4)(26/8)(2)(55(15)/6/13)(1.000)(47)
Geoff – 51 (2 Occ, 7*/11)(28/18)(7)(55(20)/7/16)(0.927)(50)
Skyp – 32 (1 Occ, 5*/2)(15/3)(4)(38(4)/8/8)(0.842)(30) *Peat Burn-Off went around the table

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Brian 2(1) 4(4) 8(4) 2(2) 6(3) 5(3) 6(4+3) 2(-2) 4(4) 5S(10) 5(15) (10) (1)
Jimmy 6(4) 4(4) 8(4) 4(4) 1(1) 2(1) 3(2+4) 1(-1) 0(0) 3S(6) 5(15) (10) (1)
Geoff 3(2) 4(4) 1(1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(-1+5) 3(-3) 2(2) 4S(8) 4(12) (24) (0)
Skyp 3(2) 3(3) 1(1) 4(4) 2(1) 2(1) 1(1+3) 1(-1) 1(1) 3C(3) 4(12) (2) (0)

A few notes:
Kudos to Brian for playing an awesome game without having any truly overwhelming cards!
JimmyO’s bonus score includes his three Begging Cards; otherwise he scored 2VP for the Village Church, 3VP for the Reeve, 3VP for Pelts, and 2VP for the Leather Saddle. Skyp’s card points include the –1 for the Built-In Oven.
JimmyO’s comeback from three Begging Cards is the best I’ve ever witnessed. In fact, it’s the only such comeback I’ve ever witnessed.
My failure to take the bonus food with my reed grab in Round Ten cost me a point.
My failure to get that last Ock into play cost me a minimum of six points and the Place position. Has Constant Reader surmised what that Ock was yet? Three guesses and the first two don’t count.
Going first half the game certainly didn’t do me a lot of good, did it?
Hogging wood didn’t work out so well, either.
Neither did picking up as many Majors as everyone else combined.
On the other hand, Skyp’s failure to gather wood hurt him immensely, and the result of ignoring special actions is apparent.

Thanks, as always, for reading! Next report: without fail…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report, Geoff! I've only played FotM once (2er), reading your reports on the expansion gave me a lot of insights into how one should play the expansion.

Your occ that you ultimately didn't put out?

Braggart
Braggart
Braggart

(hey, the 1st 2 guesses don't count right? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keywood Cheves
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff,

Good writeup, I like your style. I still trying to learn the strategies for this game (seems like I'm always having to waste actions just to get enough food). I've learned one thing though from from your writeups, I'm not getting enough cards out, especially major inprovements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Van Assen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
In fifteen minutes my friends come over for a game of FotM, so I have to be quick

Nice scores! Indeed, in our group it tends to be '50- guarantees a loss'. Last game everyone scored 50+... The two best players score almost always higher than 50. We'll see about tonight.

Thanks Geoff, for the game play overview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keywood Cheves
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night our winner in the 40's (three players) but we don't draft and only deal 7 + 7 cards to begin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keywood wrote:
Last night our winner in the 40's (three players) but we don't draft and only deal 7 + 7 cards to begin the game.

Do you deal all expansion Minors, or do you split them between regular and expansion Minors?

Keywood wrote:
...I've learned one thing though from from your writeups, I'm not getting enough cards out, especially major inprovements.

I think I have to agree with those early players who've posted here that Majors are much more important in FotM than in the regular game, thanks to easier access, but will still remind you of the caveat, "Play the cards, don't let the cards play you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
assen wrote:
In fifteen minutes my friends come over for a game of FotM, so I have to be quick

Nice scores! Indeed, in our group it tends to be '50- guarantees a loss'. Last game everyone scored 50+... The two best players score almost always higher than 50. We'll see about tonight.

Thanks Geoff, for the game play overview.

As always, you're welcome, and I'll be looking forward to a session report from you one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keywood Cheves
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We deal 3 regular and 4 expansion minors. So far though, we've been playing while keeping the decks (easy and complex) separate for each game. Do you have a list of your "words of wisdom"? (i.e. play the cards, don't let the cards play you")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keywood wrote:
We deal 3 regular and 4 expansion minors. So far though, we've been playing while keeping the decks (easy and complex) separate for each game. Do you have a list of your "words of wisdom"? (i.e. play the cards, don't let the cards play you")

Only a few, Keywood, mostly scattered throughout my various session reports, but you might enjoy reading my review of the base game here. There are many other words of wisdom posted by better scribes than me, most of which are highlighted on the regular Agricola board. The Unofficial Compendium is essential, although Eugene hasn't caught up with the FotM cards yet. No doubt that is in the works.

May I suggest that you deal additional Minors of each type to players (typically 3-5 more than needed), and then have them discard the excess, however many that may be. It makes the game a whole lot more interesting to be allowed make a selection from an array, rather than to be stuck with whatever you're dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Van Assen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Goeff,

Perhaps I will post a game - I guess I might learn from it too, analyzing the game while describing it.

Last week the winner had 71 points, I had 56, the third en fourth player had 48 and 46 points, respectively. The person who won had a card that gives x bonus points and 2x food if you do not have unused fields when the game still has x rounds of play to go. He filled his farm at round 7. The bonus and in particular the food gave him the victory. Obviously, this card should be banned! It is meant for the original Agricola game, not for the extension...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
assen wrote:
Hi Goeff,

Perhaps I will post a game - I guess I might learn from it too, analyzing the game while describing it.

Last week the winner had 71 points, I had 56, the third en fourth player had 48 and 46 points, respectively. The person who won had a card that gives x bonus points and 2x food if you do not have unused fields when the game still has x rounds of play to go. He filled his farm at round 7. The bonus and in particular the food gave him the victory. Obviously, this card should be banned! It is meant for the original Agricola game, not for the extension...

There you go, Marcel, ratcheting up the standards again. 70+? Good Lord love a duck! I'm not sure which card you're referring to, but will patiently wait for you to specify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The card Marcel refers to is the Ranch, and it should definitely not be played with FotM. I did see someone use it for 18 food and 9 points once in regular Agricola, but unsurprisingly that was about the end of the game for that player, considering they had a 2 room hut, 1 plowed field, and a single 12-space pasture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
The card Marcel refers to is the Ranch, and it should definitely not be played with FotM. I did see someone use it for 18 food and 9 points once in regular Agricola, but unsurprisingly that was about the end of the game for that player, considering they had a 2 room hut, 1 plowed field, and a single 12-space pasture.

I've used Ranch in a live game in this manner, but I had Dozing Bull and Cattle Market as well so I was able to rearrange my fences after playing Ranch and still end up with a more complete farm (and a win!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
smcmike wrote:

I've used Ranch in a live game in this manner, but I had Dozing Bull and Cattle Market as well so I was able to rearrange my fences after playing Ranch and still end up with a more complete farm (and a win!)

Ah, yes, a Z-deck offering. Now I remember why I traded my copy away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Van Assen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
MisterG wrote:
[Ah, yes, a Z-deck offering. Now I remember why I traded my copy away.

O yeah, and we also include the 'Czech deck' ... We are always happy to receive a card from the Czeck deck, some of them are really great to have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.