Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Multi-eyed Possum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Yibb

Harvey
Agnes
Monterrey Jack
Ursula

After having lost Trish Scarborough to Bokrug when she was transported to the Other World during an encounter at the library and Zhar devouring her replacement, Mihn Thi Phan, while she was attempting to deal with Blood Magic, Ursula Downs made this one of the most formidable groups ever assembled. They had,in rapid succession, destroyed the aforementioned Zhar, Shudde M'ell, Hastur and Azathoth.

It appeared that Yibb would be the next to fall. When the river breached its levees, ancient artifacts could be seen scattered throughout
The Merchant District and Rivertown. Harvey found a Mask of the Three Fates and Monterrey Jack picked up The Chime of Ra. Unfortunately for Monterrey, he was successful in reading a Cabala of Saboth Tome and became so well steeped in The Mythos Lore that his already slight grip on reality slipped a little more.

With two gates already open, Agnes blasted a Mi-Go with her shotgun to enter Plateau of Leng at The Unnameable. Having started at The Science Building to quiz the professors there about what they knew about the Mythos, Ursula was also ready to seal, handing her Elder Sign to Monterrey as he joined her. Before leaving the building, she was joined by William Britton, who was favorably impressed by her arm-wrestling abilities. Monterrey then handed the Elder Sign he had obtained from Ursula to Harvey.

After a short trip to the hospital, Ursula Tommy Gunned the High Priest and slipped into Abyss at Independence Square, while Harvey crossed town to enter Dreamlands at the Silver Twilight Lodge, which had been vacated by a byakee, which now patrolled the skies.

Sensing her imminent defeat against an attacking Dark Young, Harvey is able to channel fellow investigator Mandy Thompson, using his Mask of the Fates, amd Ursula prevailed before she herself succumbed to her injuries.

Monterrey felt the best way he could help with the investigation was to browse in the Curiosity Shoppe. With the help of Harvey, he had enough money to pick and choose and selected a second Elder Sign, which he turned over to Agnes after she successfully sealed the Unnameable and then began searching for information. In doing so, while at The Witch House, he became Harried, and remained so until the end.

Ursula and Harvey explored their respective worlds and easily sealed the gates at Independence Square and The Silver Twilight Lodge. They then,
just as easily despatched cultists, which were waiting for them, Harvey passing his personal story in doing so. The cultists weren't through, yet, however, as they came back to life and had to be defeated a second time. The second time was much more productive, as Ursula obtained The Book of Anubis and Harvey the Mask of Wisdom, which he never donned.

Ursula then raced to The Woods, interviewing members of The Sheldon Gang and gaining enough information to pass her own personal story and gaining from them yet another Elder Sign and a Lamp of Alhazred.

Confidence was soaring, and Agnes had no qualms about pushing herself to the limits of her endurance in R'lyeh. She awoke in a place that seemed to take up an infinite amount of Time and Space

Back in Arkham, it began to Rain Cats and Dogs, an Other Worldly rain that none of the investigators had ever experienced before. It seemed to come in conjunction with the newly-opened gate to R'lyeh at the Science Building. What were the scientist up to now, each of them wondered.

The rain was a portent of things to come. The rain prevented Harvey from reaching Miskatonic University Streets to deal with the zombie, so Monterrey Jack was forced to do so, as Agnes returned to Arkham at the hospital.

First, Monterrey was forced to invoke the Chime of Ra to pass a horror check against a Flying Polyp and then another use of the Chime of Ra, coupled with Harvey's channelling of Mandy Thompson a second time, enabled him to defeat it. Ursula returned to Arkham, sealed the gate at the Science Building, and Harvey. gathered the last of the information he required to continue the struggle.

At this point, things began to deteriorate quickly. A Plague of Locusts
and reports of a Murderer at Large suddenly made the threat very real.
Gates then opening at The Historical Society and Graveyard were alarming events that caught the investigators' attention and gave them a renewed sense of urgency.

It had stopped raining, but Harvey was still hampered by his age, so Agnes changed her plans, evading a Cthonian at the Graveyard and entering Yuggoth. It was Harvey who despatched the ghost at Hibb's and entered R'yleh. He had been studying the Mythos for such a long time, that he didn't feel any trepidation about being able to seal the gate when the time came.

Trouble was now being heaped upon trouble. First, an Ill Wind gripped Arkham, and Monterrey Jack had a feeling of such dread and doom descend upon him that he felt he had been personally cursed. After entering Yuggoth, Agnes immediately found herself in the steel grip of an unspeakable horror. The last thing she heard was a sickening pop.

The Witch Burning Anniversity gave the cultists new vigor and when the Southside Strangler was suspected of their depredations, Yibb's awakening was assured.

(Note: I major mistake was made in Final Battle, but the record has been corrected).

The suddeness of his awakening so stunned the investigators that their initial attacks were all but ineffectual. There was still quite a bit of information to be gleaned and Yibb was fairly powerful (-5).

It wasn't long before Harvey lost his blessing, but this was made up for
by the shedding of Monterrey's curse. (He not only rolled a six at the time of his defense against Yibb's attack, he threw box cars, two successes).

Not as young as he once was, Harvey lost focus at the wrong time and was the first to be devoured. The investigators were gradually whittling away at Yibb's strength, sensing his weakening condition, when a vicious ccounter-attack devoured Monterrey Jack. Getting ever closer to defeating him, Agnes lost the battle. It was now Ursula versus Yibb, the latter down to his last gasp. Her attack cut him down just a little more, but she collapsed from shear exhaustion. Yibb roared in victory and began his systematic destruction of humankind.

(Note: Needed only three hits in the last round, but came up two short).
(Things weren't really that close after all. Agnes was Lost in Time and Space when he awoke. Even with a shotgun, she wasn't doing that much damage; but at least another doom token, and possible two should be added).

(On Turn 8 of 14, there were still only four doom and two gates. The back-to-back double doomers brought it to eight and Ursula's seal with the Elder Sign gave them breathing room at seven. Four open gates in the next four turns was the final of a series of crushing blows).

(Since I only use one expansion at a time, thirty-nine Unique Items does mean a plethora of Elder Signs; but, when the game is sentient, as seen by this session, I'm grateful for what I can get. Agnes never used hers, in any event, being Lost in Time in Space twice. Even four dice when pushing herself to the limit wasn't enough to save her; and being gripped by the beast in Yuggoth, while making no difference in the outcome, since even Harvey didn't get all the way through, sealed the fate of them all).

(Monterrey Jack had five clues for the longest time, but with two gates open, both to R'lyeh, he was forced to bide his time until things began opening up. He was driven insane before that happened, and another nail was driven into the coffin).

(Yibb is another tough AO for me. In twelve contests, I am 2-8-2.
If you're beginning to find the base game a little too easy, because
unstable locations outnumber the doom tracks or the two are too evenly matched in number, I highly recommend the expansions. Gate bursts and double doomers definitely bring a new dimension to the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
...Ursula Downs made this one of the most formidable groups ever assembled. They had,in rapid succession, destroyed the aforementioned Zhar, Shudde M'ell, Hastur and Azathoth.
Zhar is very tough. The others are pushovers!
Quote:
...and Monterrey Jack picked up The Chime of Ra. Unfortunately for Monterrey, he was successful in reading a Cabala of Saboth Tome and became so well steeped in The Mythos Lore that his already slight grip on reality slipped a little more.
Nice phrasing.
Quote:
Before leaving the building, she was joined by William Britton, who was favorably impressed by her arm-wrestling abilities.
Nice phrasing

Quote:
Trouble was now being heaped upon trouble. First, an Ill Wind gripped Arkham, and Monterrey Jack had a feeling of such dread and doom descend upon him that he felt he had been personally cursed. After entering Yuggoth, Agnes immediately found herself in the steel grip of an unspeakable horror. The last thing she heard was a sickening pop.
very nice.

Quote:
(On Turn 8 of 14, there were still only four doom and two gates. The back-to-back double doomers brought it to eight and Ursula's seal with the Elder Sign gave them breathing room at seven. Four open gates in the next four turns was the final of a series of crushing blows).
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh usually is one the easiest expansions to add. Double double doomers is a bad break however.

Quote:
(Yibb is another tough AO for me. In twelve contests, I am 2-8-2.
If you're beginning to find the base game a little too easy, because
unstable locations outnumber the doom tracks or the two are too evenly matched in number, I highly recommend the expansions. Gate bursts and double doomers definitely bring a new dimension to the game).

I like the way you put your sentences together incorporating the actual names of the Mythos cards.

Yibb is rather a pushover for me. I seldom want more than 5 Clues at once anyway. However his Evade penalty works against my style and if it does get to final battle, I'm usually cooked since I never prepare for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

I have a tendency to play a certain way, and that may hurt me against certain AO's. Some of the ones I have such a terrible record against don't, on the surface, seem that tough; but, my game is alive, without a doubt, and is watching my every move, if not reading my mind.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.