Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like BGG now decorates thread URLs with the thread name, I think "thing" tags should also be decorated. This would make it easier to edit posts in progress. For example, dropping in a game here would normally look like:

[ thing=1 ][ /thing ]

I propose:

[ thing=1/die-macher ][ /thing ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
ekted wrote:
Just like BGG now decorates thread URLs with the thread name, I think "thing" tags should also be decorated. This would make it easier to edit posts in progress. For example, dropping in a game here would normally look like:

[ thing=1 ][ /thing ]

I propose:

I'm confused. [thing=1][/thing] already results in Die Macher.

What I like about the new "thing" tag is that it allows me to explicitly specify the name of the game I want to be displayed, instead of accepting the default which may change over time, e.g. Rumis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
I'm confused. [thing=1][/thing] already results in Die Macher.

If I am adding many games to a post:

[ thing=13742 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=634 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=99824 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=3855 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=273 ] [ /thing ]

It's much easier when you know what game you are editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
mb
ekted wrote:
If I am adding many games to a post:

[ thing=13742 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=634 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=99824 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=3855 ] [ /thing ]
[ thing=273 ] [ /thing ]

It's much easier when you know what game you are editing.

Okay, I understand now. Yes, that would be nice. I've been going through my comments, and replacing [gameid] tags with [thing] tags. I've been copying the comments over to notepad before editing, so I can see the game name there. Having an indication within the tag itself would be very helpful. Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you add a thing to a post, you have always the option to provide a text for the link. Just use the game name as text (you can remove it when you're done editing)

Die Macher
[thing=1]Die Macher[/thing]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge pain when doing lists. The system should do it for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Werbaer wrote:
When you add a thing to a post, you have always the option to provide a text for the link. Just use the game name as text (you can remove it when you're done editing)

Die Macher
[thing=1]Die Macher[/thing]

Right, that's what I was saying before: you can enter your own name in between the [thing] tags, and that's a good thing. The example I had provided was Rumis; if you accept the default text (or if you use [gameid=6411] instead), you get Blokus 3D as the name of the game's official entry has been changed.

However, if I want to go back and edit that entry, then I will only see "[thing=6411][/thing]" within the editing window. If I have several entries throughout my post, how do I know which game that is? I'd have to remember. And for me, remembering gets more and more difficult.

I like ekted's suggestion that there be an automatic "decoration" within the tag, e.g. "[thing/blokus-3d][/thing]." I can then decide whether or not I want to provide my own link text, e.g. "[thing/blokus-3d]Rumis[/thing]."

And really, since I'm using the "insert link" feature which performs the ID lookup and then automatically creates the link for me, it should also be able to add the decoration as well. Note that such a change would also require the "BGG code" parser to stop at the forward slash when building the hyperlink. I suspect that this second task is the trickier one to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
ekted wrote:

How about automatic injection of the name between the tags instead:
[ thing=904 ]Traumfabrik[ /thing ]

It's readable, and it has the advantage of preserving the name intended by the author, instead of changing whenever the primary name changes (e.g., to Hollywood Blockbuster, then Dream Factory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
How about automatic injection of the name between the tags instead:
[ thing=904 ]Traumfabrik[ /thing ]

It's readable, and it has the advantage of preserving the name intended by the author, instead of changing whenever the primary name changes (e.g., to Hollywood Blockbuster, then Dream Factory).

Automatic injection would be nice. My solution to the issue was to explicitly provide the game title between the tags on my own. Sure, it's not very convenient, but it does enhance readability.

I think of the practice as being akin to coding: I can either accept the default arguments a particular method may provide, or I can explicitly state them. The latter is more readable, and easier to maintain over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.