São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/us/07nurses.html?pagewante...

---

Now, I don't think they will be convicted in any way, but I still can't understand how they even got to trial, together with the blatant conflict of interest. And isn't the state regulators conclusion enough to "prove" that their concerns were valid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about the case myself but the article states that the prosecutor says the nurse reported the doctor with malicious intent. If that is true, then yes she should face some real penalty for doing so. Yet at the same time, if she in good faith reported what she thought was a problem-- whether or not it actually was-- then she did the right thing and should not be punished. I'd say the judge will need to walk a fine line not to discourage genuine whistle-blowing when one should blow the proverbial whistle but at the same time not excourage malicious complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not guilty
http://gruntdoc.com/2010/02/winkler-county-nurse-found-not-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to start trying to get rid of a sheriff and prosecutor, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
How did the Sheriff get search warrants against these two nurses to investigate "anonymous" tips that could really have come from anyone? Maybe the local judge needs to be checked out, too.

Just more good ol' boys looking out for one another - the funny thing is, probably nobody would even know about this quack doctor if he wouldn't have insisted on prosecuting, as it didn't sound like the board was going to do anything. Now he's in the NYTimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Time to start trying to get rid of a sheriff and prosecutor, I'd say.

Yeah. And I hope, although I'm sure it won't happen, that the county quickly settle the lawsuit. The damage to them is done, she will probably have to leave the county. Specially if they kick the sheriff and prossecutor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing of it is, it's entirely possible for all sides to be right in this case, and none of us will ever know the "truth" of it. In the absence of compelling proof of personal vendetta, however, the behavior of these good old boys seems reprehensible enough to side against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
The thing of it is, it's entirely possible for all sides to be right in this case, and none of us will ever know the "truth" of it. In the absence of compelling proof of personal vendetta, however, the behavior of these good old boys seems reprehensible enough to side against them.

True. But as I believe that truth is a defense against defamation lawsuits for most cases, I think it works the same here. The fact that they contacted the official and correct channels about the problem, and not made a fuzz on the press makes me side with the nurses, even if they were on a vendetta against him, or had other motives,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

True. But as I believe that truth is a defense against defamation lawsuits for most cases, I think it works the same here. The fact that they contacted the official and correct channels about the problem, and not made a fuzz on the press makes me side with the nurses, even if they were on a vendetta against him, or had other motives,

Defamation is a civil action and it sounds like she would already have been covered by whistleblower legislation there.

If I hack into the pentagon and publish what I find there on the internet I'm probably going to jail whether its true or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never want anything to transpire that would lessen the likelihood that inept practitioners of anything as dangerous as medicine could be freely reported for investigation, anonymously or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing they were County employees.

Texas has no whistleblower protection for employees of private companies, so if they had been working for a private hospital, they would have be up the creek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.