Subject: When do you make a decision which official to make use of? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So just like the title says, when do you do this? Just before you take your turn? Or can it be in the middle of your turn?

Case in point, let's say, you're taking cards and take just 1 card from the once laid open. Now, you take just 1, but seeing what the next one is that gets uncovered, do you decide now that you take another??

Or, do you say first "I'm taking 2 cards this turn", meaning you're making use of the official, before you even take your turn.

And I guess that goes for all the other officials.

What's the rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book states "Additionally, the player may use the support of one official during his turn. That is, the player may use one of the officials special abilities during his turn."

So yes you can draw one card have it replaced and then decide which special ability to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

Here is another thread about this as well.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/216583/postmaster-timing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
That settles it. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl T
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny timing - I've had this game for over a month and just decided to try it last night, then I see this post. I just read the other thread.

Following the officious route, I agree that the rules don't forbid the consensus. Also interesting to note the Postmaster description follows the "add a city card to his hand section" so perhaps indeed this is what they intended.

Going by our interpretation, not having read this post and experience with TtR (ala locomotive displaying) we decided it wasn't really fair to do this, so we said you had to announce prior to selecting a card if you wanted to use this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe quintana
United Kingdom
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was stated in an earlier post that
if you choose the Bailiff, you must do so before
you take a card.
joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played it that if you choose to take two cards, you must do it before replenishing the card supply. I never considered otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In the rules, the third sentence under "1. Add a city card to his hand" on Page 2, it says "After the player takes a face-up card, he replaces it with the top-most city card from the supply."

We always interpreted this to mean you may draw to fill the blank spot before taking your second draw, and that you don't need to specify that second draw until you see that new card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

In the rules, the third sentence under "1. Add a city card to his hand" on Page 2, it says "After the player takes a face-up card, he replaces it with the top-most city card from the supply."

We always interpreted this to mean you may draw to fill the blank spot before taking your second draw, and that you don't need to specify that second draw until you see that new card.

That is how it plays online as well (on yucata.de).

Not that they couldn't get the rules wrong, but stil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.