BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with Great Tension rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm looking for multiple games that are tense. I really enjoyed Agricola and Pandemic for their tension. My family really loves Ticket to Ride for the tension created by blocking. I realise all of these games create tension in different ways, but they do create tension, and that is what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Staswick
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
railroad tycoon is always a tense one for us. And a logical step from TTR if you are looking for something a little meatier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Meertens
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for tension and you like a coop-game like Pandemic, maybe you should try Ghost Stories or Witch of Salem. At some point in these games, you have to choose the "lesser evil" option. That's what I call tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying Havana. It's a light *highly confrontational* Eurogame of out-thinking your opponent, and out-out-thinking someone who's trying to out-think you!

Arkham Horror has some nice artificial tension. You'll roll dice to make skill checks, and use Clue tokens to roll additional dice, one by one, if your original skill check fails. Gradually losing your important Clue tokens as the dice continue to fail adds suspense to the game, although, overall, a single failed skill check won't usually make or break a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think Ticket to Ride has tension, then I am at a loss to find any recommendations. Perhaps sipping iced tea on your porch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is great for tension! It's co-operative (since you mentioned Pandemic), and the traitor mechanic adds suspicion and deceit to an already tense situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ticket to Ride has some nice tension as well.

Atlantic Star has a similar drafting mechanism with a similar feel. Wonderful game.

Alhambra is also feels quite similar to TTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think Ticket to Ride provides tension, then yeah, Alhambra ought to be a real hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for direct conflict, try Cosmic Encounter. The tension is there because of the push-pull between all of the alien powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I feel the most tension while playing are Space Alert (real-time co-op game with threats coming from every direction, and you're never totally sure you'll survive) and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game (very challenging for the humans, especially never knowing who's on your side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I actually found Alhambra kind of boring in the same way Carcassone is boring. There's just not much to it. Decision-wise Ticket to Ride is pretty lackluster, but my family goes out for blood. Negative scores are pretty frequent. I buy games for the family, because frankly, most games suck without opponents.

I love hearing everyone's opinion of tense games, whether I agree or not. Keep the recommendations coming, and thank you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the dreadful upcoming harvest I never found Agricola tension filled competitively. That being said backstabbing games always seem to bring about a lot of tension. Battlestar Galactica as mentioned, Shadows over Camelot, Citadels, Family Business to an extent.

For a co-op I'd say look into Ghost Stories or Space Alert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a coop game out there that has tension. There, I said it.

Tension games:

Struggle of Empires
Agricola
Age of Empires
Coed Naked Twister
Brass

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tensest game out there has got to be Twilight Struggle.
It's head to head, so you have the elemnt of direct conflict.
It's a card driven game, so you are constatntly having to deal with issues in your own hand of resources.
And the theme is the Cold War.

Frankly, this game has so much tension that you probably shouldn't even play it if you are a pregnant mother, or have a heart condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games I played recently that had a lot of tension:

China
Taj Mahal
Ra

Taj Mahal has you bidding for choices in every territory, and caps the bidding with a route-building element. Bidding is fierce, with a winner-takes-all mechanic that penalizes the loser and makes bidding wars quite dramatic.

China has a similar territorial competition element, with route building, and the potential to blcok other players or steal points.

Ra gains tension from the bidding aspect, the ability to force players to make decisions based on tiles in your hand, and a pretty wicked push-you-luck mechanic that always seems to end the epochs two cards too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a tense match, I can always count on Taj Mahal.

If you're looking for another tense co-op, Space Alert has it in spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find Friedrich as one of the tensest multi-player games around, and A Victory Lost and A Victory Denied as two of the tensest two-player wargames I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot or Diplomacy would be my two suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:
It's a card driven game, so you are constatntly having to deal with issues in your own hand of resources.

Frankly, this game has so much tension that you probably shouldn't even play it if you are a pregnant mother, or have a heart condition.

I double that. I play it by E-mail with a fellow BGG'r friend from Germany and sometimes it just kills me to see what move he made that is waiting for me when I get home from work. Can't wait to teach it to my friend tonight just got the delux version recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you are listing I would say go for Age of Steam. It's a more cutthroat lock-the-other-guy-out of a spot game (ticket to ride) where you have to sweat it that the other player wont take what you want (Agricola)

--==//==--

Otherwise I'm a bit surprised by some of these replies too. Lots of casual family friendly games in the answers that makes me wonder if many of those posting knows what its like to be on the edge waiting to be obliterated in a game.

Try a block wargame where you have to spend all game wondering if that unit is large or not -- only to be painfully slapped at the end where you didnt expect it from.

or an area-impulse wargame where you have to fight a war on multiple fronts but ever turn have to worry about a sunset die roll locking your units in vulnerable place.

or a two player card wargame (up front or combat commander) where turn after turn you can all but win it unless they have that certain card and they keep having it.

all stuff to have you standing and pacing the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:

Amongst equally skilled players I would say this is very true. What I mean is that TS is a 'learnable' game. If some has played like 6 times more than you and knows the card decks more proficiently, they will hose you... and fast.

But, amongst good players that know the game roughly the same, its a dogfight.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another vote for Taj Mahal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
railroad tycoon is always a tense one for us. And a logical step from TTR if you are looking for something a little meatier

There's also Fuddruckers and Red Robin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Here's another vote for Taj Mahal.

Same here. I can't think of another game with more tension. It remains my favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf: The Legend also has some of the same brinksmanship as Taj Mahal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.