Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren Bugge
Denmark
Copenhagen
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,

Having just completed my/our 1st Campaign Game, a near run thing decided after turn 9 by a 1 point advatage to the Allies, we believe we slowly are beginning to grasp the rules fairly well.

However we still have a few rule questions, that we hope you guys can help us with,

1. Is it possible to control an area, if you're out of supply? Say if the Germans made a wild dash for Huy near the end of the game, took it, but then were completely cut off and out of supply, but just barely managed to "stay alive" in the area, when the game ended. Would the Germans be in control of Huy and able to claim the VP point from it?

2. Does Garrisons and Task Forces alone in an area, trigger the congestion penalty of one movement point, when moving into the area (that is to say do the count as units and not assets in that case?).

3. If the German eliminte 1st and/or 4th Division units, which will count for 1 VP each on the Eliminated Large Units Track, and the Allied later 'revive' them by playing the eplacement events for those divisions, does it mean that the VP is lost for the Germans, or do they keep the VP for eliminating them (once), despite the fact, that the units will reappear in the game in an allied controlled area with a strengt of 1-step?

That's it for now. Many thanks in advance for views and advice.

Søren Bugge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The Germans would control the area, though out of supply. BUT they would not be able to claim the victory points. You must trace a supply line to claim the VPs.

2. Yes, +1 MP even if only an asset is in the area.

3. The VP is lost if those divisions are later reconstituted.

Hope that helps, glad to hear your first game was so close. It's a steeper learning curve for the Germans, and usually it takes a few plays before they get within 1 of victory, and a few more for their first win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was quick. I'm impressed.
Rick Young wrote:
1. The Germans would control the area, though out of supply. BUT they would not be able to claim the victory points. You must trace a supply line to claim the VPs.

Yhis makes a lot of sense. It also means that I, as Allied, could have directed my southern attack towards the end a bit more north, going for the victory point areas in the southeast and for cutting off Luxembourg instead of actually taking it.
Quote:
Hope that helps, glad to hear your first game was so close. It's a steeper learning curve for the Germans, and usually it takes a few plays before they get within 1 of victory, and a few more for their first win.

He, I'm sure Søren Bugge appreciates the praise. Or maybe it's a testimony to my failing abilities as Allied player. We did have a small test game for a few turns using the same sides, to learn the - somewhat tricky - rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Bugge
Denmark
Copenhagen
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure we have a few more questions, we just don't know it yet...

Both Robert and I are mature wargamers. In my own case I started playing wargames in the late 70s, and I must say, that FAB: The Bulge is one of the better I've played in quite a while. I think we both agree on that.

That of course leads to the obvious question. When will there be a second FAB game?

All the Best

Søren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am taking FAB Sicily to Prezcon later this month. Assuming GMT agrees that it's ready, it could hit the P500 list the end of this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:
I am taking FAB Sicily to Prezcon later this month. Assuming GMT agrees that it's ready, it could hit the P500 list the end of this month.

FTW!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FTW??

Fix The Washing Machine??

Film The Wombat??

Fried Tomatos on Wednesday??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
French Toast? Woot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
For the Win. From some tv quiz show of years gone by.

Some people insist on f**k the world tho.

Woot - Want One Of Those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought "FTW" was an intentional misspelling of "WTF"

Urban Dictionary gives most votes to:

"text-speak with several translations. Most famously "F*CK THE WORLD!!!" Used in a very upbeat manner, FTW is not a negative or condemning phrase. Users often fist-pump while shouting this life-affirming three-word prediction."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Hitch
Canada
flag msg tools
Can I get a clarification on your second answer, please?

Rule 5.32 states "Entering an area that already contains unit(s), friendly and/or enemy, costs one additional movement point (total)."

Rule 2.2 clearly defines a 'unit' (as apposed to assets or events) as the "main combat and maneuver elements" and as "a wood block with a label".

Based on these rules, we have decided that the +1 movement penalty only applies to the wooden block units.

This also makes sense to us in that congestion was only caused by significant main combatant units. A garrison or engineering battalion just wasn't large enough to cause movement problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Mr Hitch, if the designer of the game says Pink is Purple, then I think Pink is Purple.

Just in case you weren't aware, Rick Young is the guy who designed this game, though I know he is not infallible when it comes to rules. He should be able to clear this up fairly quickly, assuming he sees this thread after so long.

You can also go to the ConSimWorld forums and chat it up there about FAB!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4.35 is the rule that is the root of the +1, in that a defended roadblock acts exactly like a roadblock, plus...

Roadblocks force the first enemy unit to add +1 MP and stop. The stopped enemy unit would then force all other enemy units to pay +1 for the rest of the phase.

We will phrase that better and make 5.32 include assets in the next iteration of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.